Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

NOTICE 8 SABER THREADS BELOW! ASK YOURSELF WHY!

Page: 1 of 1
 GonkH8er
06-11-2001, 10:04 AM
choose one and keep it :)
 Letalis
06-11-2001, 10:11 AM
Such subtlety...

I wanna be like him mummy. ;)
 Aragorn
06-11-2001, 10:32 AM
Topic: NOTICE 8 SABER THREADS BELOW! ASK YOURSELF WHY!

Ahmmm, Why? :p
 Aragorn
06-11-2001, 10:52 AM
But on a more serious side...
Maybe we shouldn't post on useless topics and/or topics allready started. I visit these forums once a day and find it dificult to keep track of all these new topics...
And when I see more than 2 threads with the same discussion I'll just post my oppinion in one of them. None of us I think can say the same things 2 and 3 times, it gets boring and frustrating prety fast...
And something I was thinking a few days now...If I were developing this game and would like to share my thoughts with the community I wouldn't know were to start posting with 8 threads about one topic...
In the end no one would know I was here...

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Aragorn ]
 ed_silvergun
06-11-2001, 1:57 PM
I agree. Some members of these boards are becoming a little too... shall we say... enthusiastic?
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 3:32 PM
I reckon this is a pointless thread when you could have posted this message under a thread like the rest of us. But i do agree....look how many pages we're up to....seven i think.....even i dont have time to look through all seven pages and im on all day!
 Vagabond
06-11-2001, 3:40 PM
Ahem...okay, everyone, there's no need to get snippy. Even though it would be nice to have people search through the thread archives before posting a new topic, you can't realistically expect people to be so meticulous. If you don't feel like adding to another thread on a topic you've already discussed, then don't say anything. But if you wanted to be helpful, you might provide them a link to the previously discussed topic.

The goal is to make everyone feel welcome here, so let's all make an effort people, shall we?

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Vagabond ]
 Swoosh
06-11-2001, 3:46 PM
Yes, that is a good way to deal with the problem. Refer people to related threads and that should solve most of the repeated threads. I closed a few threads not because of the topics or the points being bad, but if the topic starters had looked even on the SAME page, they would have found a related topic. Let's work together to make this community succeed.

Swoosh
 wardz
06-11-2001, 4:26 PM
I think the point being that either

a) People can't be bothered to read the other posts - which annoys me

b) People think their post is more important than other peoples. I doubt at the minute it is this, but I wouldn't put it past some people - especially people from other forums I have frequented...

wardz
 Obi Kwan
06-11-2001, 4:36 PM
People are just trying to get out of the "Mercenary" status up to "Jedi Knight"!!! Since they have nothing important to say, they begin to repeat themselves. But the way I view it, oh well. When people first started expressing their dislike of repeated posts, there was a very harsh and unneccesary reaction by a lot of people. As Vagabond posted above, no need to get snippy!
 wardz
06-11-2001, 4:44 PM
I don't think people mean to get annoyed. On a forum it is hard to get the intonation right and people interpret it incorrectly.

In the case of the lightsaber threads, people are being lazy because there is clearly at least 4 visible threads.

Of course things are going to get repeated as time goes on because that is what happens, but having to see, essentially the same thing being posted 8 TIMES gets a little tiring.

Wardz
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 5:41 PM
I think its just pure laziness not looking back, but also because people just want a topic in their name. Im not being unwelcoming, but like wardz said, it does get a little tiering!!!!!
 Aragorn
06-11-2001, 10:34 PM
The fact, whatever the intentions of the members of this forum are, remains the same. I don't know about you but I didn't even bother browsing through 8 different topics about the same thing...
 Krayt Tion
06-11-2001, 10:44 PM
Not my place to say, but this is something I would have cracked down on when moderating on the old owk.net boards. That's just me.

I'm all about freedom of speech but redundancy is quite frustrating (obviously) to many members of this board. I haven't bothered to read most of those saber threads, partially because I'm busy and partially because I'm not expecting to find something too insightful in them especially since people are most likely thinking the same things in different places. It is also easier to bounce ideas off each other when you can sit everyone down in the same thread and go at it. Oh well.
 Swoosh
06-12-2001, 2:00 AM
I closed a few of them down to try to get the point across, but we may have to do more soon. Personally, I don't like being a hard moderator...people should know forum rules and tendencies. Newbies *should* not start topics on their first day or probably even reply too much. Everyone needs to get a feel for the board and then see if they even like it first, then start adding to the conversations. That's just my personal opinion.

Swoosh
 matt--
06-12-2001, 2:03 AM
Thanks for keeping us in the loop Swoosh. Keep up the good work.
 digl
06-12-2001, 9:26 PM
I think Its laziness, because people who just want to increase their post number can reply in any already started topic

The other day I replied to a newbie that the topic he asked about was already being discussed(zone), and one or two days later a newtopic about the same appeared.

But things are starting to calm down
Now there was only page page of topics with new posts, all the previous times I had came there were two pages
 matt--
06-12-2001, 11:35 PM
If anyone here know's perl, I have a suggestion. I would do it myself, but alas I cannot program in that language.

Modify the processing script to run through the search script. If the search comes back with the some results, query the user as to whether they would like to be directed to that thread or continue to post theirs.

Since we have concluded that it is laziness, this could solve the problem.

Maybe I'll read a perl tutorial.
Page: 1 of 1