Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

hmm,q3 engine

Page: 1 of 1
 Tap[RR]
06-23-2001, 5:57 AM
ok,ive been reading over some posts for the last few days,and many of you seem to think just cause its on the quake 3 engine that half the work is done,well its just a ENGINE,they have to still code everything in,just cause they didnt build the engine,doesnt mean half of the work is done,sure they were saved the time of making there own engine,but they still have to enhance,improve,code new things in there,such as the new ghoul system,and AI. Another thing is the bots,i highly doubt there is gonna be any Offline bots,sure there might be partner AI in online games,but highly doubt offline,they dont need offline bots cause jk2 unlike q3 has a story. Its not just shoot up arena type gameplay,it has a story and plenty of supporting characters to tell that story. Just wanted to clear things up. Just cause a game is based off another games engine,doesnt mean its gonna be alike or simmilar to the original game built from that engine.
 GEJoeSolo
06-23-2001, 6:52 AM
if they have AI that can help you during the game, offline bots arnt a really big step from there. and if I was making it I would have made a new engine for the game.
 Seryl Cann
06-23-2001, 7:00 AM
Elite Force has a story and still has bots. I think JK2 will have bots.
 Tap[RR]
06-23-2001, 7:20 AM
Originally posted by GE Joe Solo:
<STRONG> and if I was making it I would have made a new engine for the game.</STRONG>

The Quake 3 engine is one of the best,if not the best engine around. Lec made a wise decision. I hope raven takes advantage of the netcode,and the mod option programmed into the main menu of q3,if they leave the mod option,im sure jk2 will have a bright future,in terms of editing and replay value.
 CaptainRAVE
06-23-2001, 7:54 AM
It is the best. Thats why so many games use it these days.
 KillerBee
06-23-2001, 9:10 AM
I think whats being said is that alot of their engine inhancements were done for sof2, so dont need doing for jk2.
 Mafia_Jabba
06-23-2001, 11:38 AM
One word Tap...duh..
 Syndrix
06-24-2001, 9:58 AM
One word Mafia_Jabba, get rid of that picture. Sorry thats more than one.

Anyway, Tap, the reason I believe there will be bots in the game is because it increased gameplay and lastability. It is not a debate about JK2 having a storyline and Q3A not, just because JK2 has a storyline does not mean you want to play through the game everytime you want to experience JK2 action. This is espesially true if you cant play MP for some reason, bots allow for quick engagment without having to concertrate on a storyline, good for practice as well.
 CaptainRAVE
06-24-2001, 10:30 AM
A lot of the work will already have been done, which will save time. Most of the stuff they'll implement into JK2 has already been designed for SOF2. The AI will have been half completed, but they still need to add to it for JK2, as the AI will perform differently to most of Ravens other games. Bots will most probably be included, we have seen this done many times before, the one that springs straight to mind is STVEF. The reviewers these days like offline bots.
 Mafia_Jabba
06-24-2001, 3:44 PM
I dont get whats wrong with my picture?
 Kurgan
06-24-2001, 6:15 PM
Well you (if that's you in the picture that is) look like you're about to flick off the camera, and is that a pair of underwear on your head?

Just kidding. ; )

Nah, I think perhaps the objection is just that your picture pops up in EVERY post, but it should only load once on a viewers end, then it just caches. You could make it a tad smaller, but otherwise, no problem.

Kurgan
 Mafia_Jabba
06-24-2001, 9:13 PM
Ok guys..I'll decrease it since it bothers you guys that much...I dont wanna piss anyone off more than they already are.
Page: 1 of 1