Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

interactivity with sabers

Page: 1 of 1
 Matt Tanner
06-11-2001, 3:58 AM
Yes... one idea can change the world... or at least revolutionize gaming. I loved Red Faction with it's Geomod tech. that allowed you to break through walls... now the big question... why not have this sort of technology with lightsabres!!! Be able to cut through walls! cut light poles and pillars in half, cut through blast doors just like in E1:TPM! It would quite probably make for the coolest SW game EVER.
 Matt Tanner
06-11-2001, 4:15 AM
just a short followup, lets try to get lucasarts to implement cool features like this... everybody wants more interactivity in a starwars game... game companies make it their business to provide gamers with what they want. not asking for a riot or anything... just get the ideas out there.
 GonkH8er
06-11-2001, 5:00 AM
that WOULD be a good idea, and something very nice to have in the game, but it's taken the makers of red faction a long long time to create and perfect that technology.

with a planned release date of early next year, i think ravens gonna be flat out doing what they have :)
 Letalis
06-11-2001, 10:23 AM
All very true...

We all want all sorts of cool features, but the truth of the matter is, whatever we get we're gonna love! We have faith Raven! ;)
 GonkH8er
06-11-2001, 11:00 AM
LS thread 8 :)
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 4:42 PM
That will come in the future....but its too early for that in JK2. Maybe when most games go on larger stores like DVDs or the new type of DVDs comming out!
 mattpitt
06-11-2001, 7:03 PM
y is it 2 early? surely a cd can hav a load of sabre tricks on it? Im worried about the retricton of sabre moves. It better not bbe just like JK I!!
 CaptainRAVE
06-11-2001, 7:08 PM
It wont restrict sabre moves, bit it will interacting with the environment. At the moment that kind of technology takes up a lot of space!!
 magnum
06-12-2001, 1:47 PM
I don't think that if you calculate (programe) the way how a wall is broken by a LS there will be no need to have an insane amount of data...
The relevant thing would be having enough memory to save all the changes to the geometry of the level (that's why the dead have to dissapear, and the marks in the wall, etc.)
Perhaps, if Raven hasn't time to do it for the scheduled release date, we (the community, I mean :) ) should make our own patch for this one :D
 Archie
06-12-2001, 2:09 PM
The size of CD/DVD has no bearing on the interactivity of the environment. As was said, this is done by the program, and is only limited by RAM. Currently, other than cinematics, and music, the major use of space on CDs is growing to be high resolution textures.
 CaptainRAVE
06-12-2001, 6:29 PM
Seein as they've done sooooo much in 3 months, i reckon it'll be out well on time!!!!
 mattpitt
06-18-2001, 7:04 PM
All sounds good but do you think they will make the sabre beter than in JK cos it was lets face it .................LAME. I found myself using blasterts all the time!
 En Taro Taldarin
06-18-2001, 8:53 PM
You could still use the sabre relatively well in JK, the only problems with it were it looked horrible, there were too few moves, and there was no interactivity.
 matt--
06-18-2001, 9:38 PM
Didn't you see the 3rd day e3 demo! The guy threw the saber and said something about interactivity. Then the saber hit a support, it fell down, and he used it as a bridge. Maybe this was a planned, scripted event. But I don't think so.
 GonkH8er
06-18-2001, 10:23 PM
i played spork (legacy of the jedi) for the first time in ages the other night, and i gotta say, id forgotten how much it adds to a game of sabers in jk....

its all ive been playing for the last 48 hours :)
 Archie
06-19-2001, 2:52 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but that would've been a planned scripted event, but if you simply put enough in the world, it doesn't seem out of place. Q3 isn't in anyway geared up for geomod technology...
Page: 1 of 1