Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Would you buy JKII if it was ported to Linux?

Page: 1 of 1
 ZeroXcape
06-04-2001, 6:15 AM
While JKII will most likely have Linux Server support, if Raven/Loki produced Jedi Knight II for linux, would ya buy it?

In the past, Heretic II and Soldier of Fortune (two Raven titles) have been ported to the Linux operating system. For more information on other Linux games, check out <a href="http://www.linuxgames.com") target="_blank">LinuxGames.com</a>.
 ReAcToR
06-04-2001, 6:18 AM
Not only would I buy it, I would kiss the feet of the developers. Playing JK on Win98 and then heading to a Linux partition to play JK2 is just about as elite as it gets. JK2 dedicated Linux servers anyone?

/me drools at the thought.
 Archie
06-04-2001, 6:35 AM
It will likely have linux dedicated server support, as for the actual game, I'm not so sure, hopefully, but so far the units sold for that platform haven't *exactly* been great.
 Seryl Cann
06-04-2001, 8:53 AM
If they don't have dedicated servers for Linux they are pretty stupid.
As for the entire game under Linux. I don't think Raven themselves would port it to Linux, but maybe they could let other people do it. It's basicly just porting the execution files. The engine, libraries, etc don't have to be changed.
 ZeroXcape
06-04-2001, 1:02 PM
Loki usually handles game conversion.

<a href="http://www.lokigames.com") target="_blank">Their Site</a>.
 CaptainRAVE
06-04-2001, 4:42 PM
Even if this game was given 1% by a magazine and was totally rubbish.......id buy it and i reckon all the other JK fans would to. Even non JK fans are watching this title with great interest!!!!!
 matt--
06-11-2001, 12:39 AM
I hope you can download the ported executables off the internet. Kinda like UT.
 TheJackal_jk2
06-11-2001, 12:49 AM
Personally, I have no clue what Linux and Windows and etc servers have in different. Sure Windows is made by that "evil coperation" every body seems to hate... yet it's the operating system mostly used.

Anyways. Please tell me what is the difference? Does one system run faster (I'm talking about a big different. Not this small difference that wont even make the game better. ex: WOW! 10 frames more faster! http://www.jediknightii.net/forum/icons/icon8.gif). Do Windows server send you brainwashing messages? Does Linux "free your mind" like the populor hippy days. Does Mac give this durability but yet uncompatibility with every other sytems option?

...Suddenly I have a feeling what I said has nothing to do with the topic of Servers. Dah well! One more rambling-filled post by THE JACKAL! tada daaaaaaaaaaaa!

Sorry. Me hyper! :D
 matt--
06-11-2001, 1:11 AM
Among many advantages, I would have to say the most prominent would be that while Windows needs to be rebooted about once or twice a day, Linux can run for literally weeks at a time(depending on hardware). Besides that, Linux is free. Less to maintain. Which means cheaper, and therefore more, servers.

JK2 with Windows:
"Connection Lost?!?!?! What the hell am I supposed to do now!"

JK2 with Linux:
"I must have played over 2,698 games tonight. I'm going to bed."
 Krayt Tion
06-11-2001, 2:11 AM
Hell, if the majority of games out there could be played on linux, I might ditch microsuck entirely.
 ReAcToR
06-11-2001, 10:41 AM
You can also run the latest versions of Linux on a 386/486. Although I hope none of us are still using one of these dinosaurs, it is quite impressive.

Hell, if the majority of games out there could be played on linux, I might ditch microsuck entirely.

I totally agree. If I were able to play the original Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith on a Linux box, without having to use some type of emulation, I would uninstall Windows for good.

My favorite games, alot of which were never ported to Linux, are my main reason for even continuing to use Windows. If all of them had already been ported, you wouldn't catch me dead using Windows unless it was on a partition, for me to go over and laugh at ever once in awhile. ;)

LINUX! LINUX! LINUX!
 Letalis
06-11-2001, 11:20 AM
I have minimal experience with Linux, (almost none, almost), how difficult is it to port executable files to that format? Is it an extremely difficult procedure?

Also I was thinking about testing/trying Linux, I've always had an interest. What's the best way about it; run both on a partitioned HD, or have Linux with a Window's emulator?

Thanks in advance...
 Darth Oosha
06-11-2001, 12:04 PM
I'd buy it either way, but I'd probably play it in MacOS, or Windows if I'm low on disk space.
 Archie
06-11-2001, 12:42 PM
Windows doesn't crash that often really. And when it does it's generally due to the **** people put it through.

My Windows 98 was rock solid, and I've had even fewer crashes with Win2000. Don't get me wrong, I have Linux on another computer, but Windows isn't *that* bad.
 dnalor
06-11-2001, 12:46 PM
Yes, I would buy it...[LIST] :mad:
Page: 1 of 1