Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Multiplayer Personalities / Classes

Page: 1 of 1
 Vagabond
06-10-2001, 5:57 PM
Assuming that JKII multiplay has MotS-like personalities, which ones would you like to see?

Here's my list:

Jedi
Bounty Hunter
War Droid
Soldier - Heavy
Soldier - Regular
Soldier - Sniper
Soldier - Recon
Medic
Tech

Jedi Skins

Everyone knows what Jedi are, so I won't describe them ;) They are armed only with a light saber and the Force, and other various equipment, such as underwater breathing devices, etc. They have better than average speed (without the Force), and have no armor.

All the Jedi Council
All the know Jedi from the movies and expanded universe, such as Qui-Gonn, Obi-Wan, Nomi Sunrider, and Kyle
All the Sith from the movies and expanded universe, such as Vader, Maul, Exar Kun, and the Emperor
Include any appropriate Jedi skins from the game
Then invent some new ones

Bounty Hunter Skins

I see bounty hunters as sort of super-heros / super-soldiers, like an all-in-one battalion. They make extreme use of gadgets, something kind of like Batman. The difference being that they hunt people down for profit ;) They are heavily armed and armored, with moderate speed.

All Bounty Hunters shown in the Empire Strikes Back
Some of the cool Bounty Hunter skins from MotS, such as Abron Mar
Some of the shady characters from the Mos Eisley Cantina, such as Garindan and Greedo
Some of the shady characters from Jabba's Palace, including Boushh

War Droid Skins

These are droids that have since been outlawed by the Republic, but were once used to fight wars. Some of them are rather clumsy, while others are frighteningly deadly.

All the battle droids from Episode I.
IG-88 & 4-LOM
Some of the war droids shown in the expanded universe

Soldier - Heavy/Regular/Sniper/Recon Skins

A heavy soldier is armed with a super heavy weapon, like a turbo-laser cannon, is very slow, and possibly heavily armored.

A regular soldier is armed with a normal rifle, has average speed, and has average armor.

A sniper soldier is armed with a sniper rifle and scope, has average speed and armor.

A recon soldier is armed with a light weapon, such as a side arm, and with deception devices, such as smoke grenades, macro-binoculars, and communication equipment that can report enemy position to team member's HUD maps, jetpacks and/or grappling hooks, and perhaps stealth armor. They have very quick speed, but also very poor armor.

Imperial Storm Trooper version
Imperial Army version
Imperial Fleet version
Rebel Fleet version
Trade Federation version
Gungan version
Ewok version
Maybe invent some new ones

Medic Skins

Medics are people who specialize in healing other players. They are lightly armed, but are equipped with heavy armor, and advanced medical equipment.

A version for each of the military groups listed above.
Several civilian versions.

Tech Skins

Techs are people who specialize in hacking into electronic equipment, such as breaking into locked blast doors, or welding them shut. They are lightly armed, but heavily armored, and are equipped with advanced technical and electronic equipment.

A version for each of the military groups listed above.
Several civilian versions.

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Vagabond ]
 wardz
06-10-2001, 6:02 PM
"Kurgan's force long post is strong with this one"

;)

thats quite interesting my nomadic friend..

wardz
 CaptainRAVE
06-10-2001, 6:15 PM
Raven will include everything.......remember EF and all those skins! Just look at the posibilities!
 digl
06-10-2001, 6:23 PM
Wow
force long post is coming back :)

I agree wit your listings
I think there should be as many skins as possible. Or models, Im not sure if the Q3 engine is like Q2, where there were several skins for a few models.I hope that doesnt happen in JO
 matt--
06-10-2001, 9:24 PM
I hope that the editor supports modeling for all these. I just don't have the money to invest in one of those 3d editors.
 Krayt Tion
06-11-2001, 12:02 AM
What doesn't make sense to me is that listed these as potential "MotS-like" personalities.

Personalities could be used easily for role playing, true. I still think however that the idea was to make all personalities in MotS as offensively and/or defensively balanced as possible to ensure that each personality could hold its own. While playing the Jedi personality I almost never got taken down by other classes but I still think they tried to balance it out.

You've added support classes like the medic that really don't have much offensive capability. It seems the abilites you've give the medic and tech would be better suited for something like TFC or more specifically the CTF mode of JK2.

I think personalities are the way to go, I don't just want the skin, I want extra abilities to go with it. I say sure add things like the medic and tech if they are going to give us CTF version with some real meat on its bones. Unfortunately I don't see LEC pulling a Valve any time soon. :(
 Vagabond
06-11-2001, 11:38 AM
While playing the Jedi personality I almost never got taken down by other classes but I still think they tried to balance it out.

That's a good point, and I was thinking of a more team-based game when I wrote that. Perhaps depending on the game type, different classes would be available. For example, in a team-based game, then the medic and tech would be available. But if it were a purely free-for-all match, then only Jedi, Bounty Hunters, Super-Soldier, and perhaps a couple additional classes, like Spy, War Droid, or Assasin.
 Aragorn
06-11-2001, 11:55 AM
I don't know Vag, all these ideas are great but to have them all, the game should be MP only...I think that we'll see alot mods like that though...
 dnalor
06-11-2001, 12:15 PM
and what about the Sith skin and etc.?Sith
 Sith Warrior
06-11-2001, 12:48 PM
THE FOLLOWING CHARACTER STRIENGHTS ARE MY OPINION AND MAY NOT BE TRUE FOR EVERYONE:

I agree with Krayt Tion, for the most part. To have all those personalities and skins wouldn't be that great seeing as how Mysteries of the Sith had only four personality classes that made it well balanced. For instance, I found that each personality had strong points and weak points. A Jedi's strong point was it's Force striength and was good mainly against Bounty Hunters. While the Bounty Hunter's main striength was it's mix of things, a little of this, a little of that, not too strong, but not too weak. The are good against Scouts. The Scout's strong point was it's mediocure force striength and it's amazing speed, while it's weak point was it's low shield capacity and lack of powerful weapons, the Scout was good against Soldiers. The Soldier is my favorite character class. Their strong point is thier amazing shield capacity and ammount of powerful weapons, but their weakness is thier lack of Force powers and speed. I find them good against Jedi.

[ June 11, 2001: Message edited by: Sith Warrior ]
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-11-2001, 1:15 PM
I like the way you and Krayt Tion think, Sith Warrior.

Just so long as I can have my Jedi vs Jedi matches with the Force and my lightsaber, I'm k00. ;)
 Wilhuf
06-11-2001, 2:36 PM
I think V's class suggestions make good sense especially for team-based, mission-based gameplay, as he's said.

Personally I would nuke the ep 1 war-droid stuff, but that's just because I didn't like the battle droids from ep1. (Roger roger :rolleyes: ). Better, cooler battle droids could be used though, like 4lom & ig88, as was said.

Also, I wouldn't make battle droids their own class. I'd just make them a skin associated with some classes (such as soldiers or bounty hunters).

Also I'm not sure quite so many soldier classes will be needed.

Also, since both bounty hunters and the tech class are into gadgets and tech, they could be combined into one class (bounty hunter).

Here's how I would arrange the classes:
Jedi Knight (a 'generic fighter class')
Bounty Hunter (an engineer/gadget/tech-type class)
Soldier - Heavy (heavy weapons guy)
Soldier - Sniper (self explanatory)
Soldier - Recon (a scout class, light and fast for flag running)
Medic (self explanatory)
Rebel/Imperial Spy (spy class, can feign death, costume as enemy, backstab)
 Vagabond
06-28-2001, 1:13 PM
This is kind of non-serious, but what about a Gambler class? I keep thinking of Billy Dee Williams as Lando. Wouldn't it be hilarious to see him running around the map in his blue Baron's outfit, murmuring in his Rico Suave-like voice, "Hey baby", "Hello, what have we here", "You truly belong with us among the clouds", "Honey, you look soooo fine". I'd be lauging waaaay hard ;)

Maybe if each skin had its own personality and random mutterings, it would add some fun to the game. What do you think?
 Kurgan
06-28-2001, 9:42 PM
I like the idea of having a seperate "Jedi" and "Sith" class for the force users.

Or perhaps you could even go farther and have "force sensitive" versions of other classes (ie: they have weak force powers and weapon skills, much like the classes in MotS).

The Sith of course could be like what was planned for Obi-Wan. They could make use of double-sabers and focus on dark side powers.

Light Jedi of course would use the normal saber and light side abilities, and Dark Jedi could use dark side powers, but would use the normal saber. Perhaps they could be balanced with some neutral powers and weaker dark side abilities than pure Sith, etc.

This is all for multiplayer of course, since we know that you're going to be focused on Light Side in JK2 and you won't get to choose your side (all the powers being "grayside").

Kurgan
 Vagabond
06-28-2001, 9:54 PM
I hope the MP classes are more like MotS where you could mix and match so-called Light and Dark force powers.
 acdcfanbill
06-29-2001, 1:57 AM
one would hope that each char. would have their own mutterings, sort of death throwes, or maybe victory chants, something like "Gotcha Suckas!", well, maybe not that, but something, then you could record your own in, if it pulls from a wav file
 matt--
06-29-2001, 2:50 AM
I've got a VaderPackage for UT.
Personal recordings(at least in UT) only work when your hosting, when they're on the host computer.

My favorite taunts:
"All too easy"
"Don't make me destroy you"
And I pulled this one out and set it up as my windows loaded sound:
"You should not have come back"
 Tap[RR]
06-29-2001, 4:21 AM
Originally posted by matt-windu:
<STRONG>I hope that the editor supports modeling for all these. I just don't have the money to invest in one of those 3d editors.</STRONG>

I cant stress this enough, The quake 3 engine CAN, and i say this again CAN support custom MODELS. Not just skins, MODELS and yes there is editors out there, and no doubt they will have a updated editor for JO, im positive there gonna update Milkshape for JO. Or might not even need to update at all. also about the custom victory taunts. They come with custom models, if the modeler decides to put them in, and decides to have a taunt animation to go with it (such as the lightsaber ignite for the darth vadar model,for q3). here is some url's to q3 editing sites and some mods made by editors im thinking from the top of my head.

polycount (http://polycount.com)

dbz mod...for those of you that dont know. (http://bidforpower.com)

quake 3 fortress (http://q3f.com)

check these mods out,and check out the editing site,it has some nice starwars models. ;)

[ June 29, 2001: Message edited by: Tap[RR] ]
Page: 1 of 1