Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Zone...No zone

Page: 1 of 1
 Mafia_Jabba
06-10-2001, 5:13 PM
I think zone should support JK II...I liked the zone for its community and interactivity.
 CaptainRAVE
06-10-2001, 5:21 PM
Yeah it was alrite.....but i thought there was already one of these threads....maybe i was wrong?
 Mafia_Jabba
06-10-2001, 5:23 PM
Is there? I didn't know...I hope zone supports JK 2 though
 OnlyOneCanoli
06-10-2001, 5:46 PM
 CaptainRAVE
06-10-2001, 6:19 PM
I dont care how many threads there are though.....just leave that for the moderators to worry about, at least this way theres fewer posts to read through!!!!
 matt--
06-10-2001, 9:22 PM
Maybe people should search for posts before they do themselves. Especially when they are new.

Welcome to the forums however. :)
 DeathBoLT
06-11-2001, 2:41 AM
matt, Mafia Jabba would not have the opportunity of contributing to the MSN Gaming Zone debate in a previous post as it was closed due to out-of-place arguments occuring on it.

The zone has some nice aspects, "everyone thats anyone knows everyone", ease of communicating(zf), tightness of community. I like dedicated servers tho - and how it would be worked into the zone I'm not sure. The way multiplayer UT is set up isn't so bad- anyone in a clan is going to be relatively good. its the newbies that are generally clanless. its problems are that its so hard to keep up with people. ive become dependant on ladder to define whos good and who isn't good simply b/c its so hard to tell due to the looseness of community. on the zone, u could tell where someone was by adding them to zone friends and clicking on their name. UT has a simliar option in its chats, but what if the guy isn't in a chat? or if u don't know what chat he/she is in if they're in one?

im sorry if my thoughts are coming off a bit scatterbrained.. im not thinking to clearly tonight
 GonkH8er
06-11-2001, 4:03 AM
i kinda liked the zone for reasons stated above. you could talk to people, just get a few people into a room for a chat... and so on

the only things i didnt like were the constant bickering and name calling and the fact that you could only have 4 in a room, unless you altered your sys reg :)
 DeathBoLT
06-12-2001, 12:27 PM
the reason only 4 are allowed because thats what the games most stabile with - its ok at 8, but it gets unstable after anymore

i think a battle.net type setup would work well - my friends list happened to be a sheet of paper with people's account names, but u could always enter in '/who is therename' and find out what game/chat they were in. it'd be great if they worked a zf in in the sense that u could add ppl's account names to a list and just double click on their name to do the equivalant of a who-is command..
 Swoosh
06-12-2001, 1:43 PM
Yeah, I think a battle.net/tribes 2 room system would be ideal. You have the community and the speed with the dedicated servers. Also, you have the ability to automatically download any patches when you first login. Dynamix and virtaully eliminated all cheating by using that system. Hopefully we can see something like that.

Swoosh
 Boba Jim
06-19-2001, 11:15 AM
I've been playin CTF in EF a lot lately and I've come to the conclusion that the pure server connection is not the best. Sure the zone has its problems, but there needs to be some sort of lobby where you can set options and connect with people within your specific game group before the game begins.

All the pure server stuff makes it very difficult to get smaller games going with specific people who start together. In team games, there are constantly people jumping in and changing sides. This completely defeats the purpose of team games. At least in the zone you could prevent quick joiners and play the game with the folks who started it and agreed on the rules. Something else needs to be set up to bring the game participant controls back to the host. I know of the web sites for this, but they just don't solve the problem.

As it is now, it's virtually impossible to get a new game going as the server. Instead the only realistic option is to join one of the existing servers. Those always seem to have up to 16 of 20 players. That sucks when you want to play a strategic match cause they're just a frenzied blast match with someone behind every corner.

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: Gonk Droid ]
 Mafia_Jabba
06-19-2001, 2:22 PM
I like the togetherness and stuff
 Krayt Tion
06-19-2001, 3:48 PM
I'll pass. Never could I go to the zone for 'community.' I suppose this is because I could never chum up with the 13 year olds that were spamming homophobic rhetoric and trying 'fight the power' in front of sysops or whoever the admin types were. Nor was I ever into the clan scene. The two most popular uses for JK on the zone have no appeal to me. Yes, I'm stereotyping, so flame away.
 SithSeeD
06-19-2001, 3:53 PM
Zone was kind of fun though. More windows based. you can multi-task and do other things while you chat or get ready to play a game on the zone. The in game system in Tribes 2 is cool, especially if JK 2 gave players their own little page like they did in T2.

Oh and by the way Jabba... that so called "War-face" scares the crap out of me.

SithSeeD :mad:
 NeJJa
06-19-2001, 4:18 PM
i play jedi knight and some UT
i just enter UT chatrooms and stuff
i have no clue who the good clans/players are

you go into Nar and you can tell after about 5 min. :eek:
 GEJoeSolo
06-19-2001, 4:19 PM
battle net can <insert profaine words here>

the zone was the best beacuse of it's comunity. battle net lags like a drunken cow with 3 legs.
 Mafia_Jabba
06-19-2001, 5:07 PM
Oh it scares you?
 Boba Jim
06-19-2001, 6:35 PM
Yeah the Zone had problems, especially the gimps in the chat area. You could ignore that though. What you really need is a private chat room / waiting area for the game your setting up. Then you need the lists of everyone looking to play at that moment, the ability to add certain players to your personal lists, and the all important block quick joiners function. Only that way can you really "connect" with other players and know how to hook up with these compatible opponents later. You'll know what kind of game your getting into before hand and team play would be greatly enhanced. That also allows you to ignore and avoid the gimp factor so prevalent there.

I don't think I ever used the chat bar at the bottom of the zone 'cause there was always some mindless babble going on there. However, I always used the zone message functions to contact players I already knew to set up a game.

As it is now, EF games are little different from playing bots because you don't know who your playin against. At least at the zone you could categorize players into your own list so you would recognize the people you played against.
 Bartolo_JCS
06-19-2001, 7:04 PM
you guys know battlenet scans your hardrive without your permission right?
 DeathBoLT
06-19-2001, 7:39 PM
im not actually talking about HAVING battlenet host it.. im talking about something with that sort of setup without the junk blizzard does without u knowing and without the horrible lag.. Diablo 2 lags. Diablo don't which operates on the same hosting system JK relies on. if we remove the 'host your own game' and have dedicated servers run by indpt. ppl you avoid the lag battlenet has b/c everything hosted is hosted by them and you get a better thing than the zone
 Morpheus
06-19-2001, 9:34 PM
zone = lag

'nuff said

-The All Powerful M
 Mafia_Jabba
06-20-2001, 2:46 AM
not really...zone isn't lagged its your own connection dude..and the game's netcode
 GonkH8er
06-20-2001, 3:50 AM
personally, i quite like the tribes 2 setup..... list of servers at your disposal you can refresh, in game forums, auto-clan manager (good so you can make sure ONLY the people you want are in your clan). all the clan tags are yellow so you can tell who's just smurfing the clan name. theres also an irc client in game, which is very cool, and you can make chat rooms and organize.

one of the best features is the in-game email though. you just address the email to the other person (their alias) and it goes to them.

theres also in game news, and player/clan lookup

theres a few bugs in it, but its pretty damn good.

something like that would be nice..... seeing how there will probably be a lot of clanners
 Lucky
06-20-2001, 4:43 AM
the Tribes 2 setup sounds pretty good. Zone is ok, the prob with it is that its run by people that don't play the game at all, also they can't punish any of the snotty lil things that happen.

The community should be policed by the community, not some moonlighting people from chess.

They end up being inept at controlling flooding, and super strict about the occasional profanity, and they miss out on the majority of offenses.

Kali worked pretty well. When someone got out of line, there was a bot that kept a text record of every chat all the time, and logged it all. so all you had to do was to point out the problem, and the person lost their serial for good and couldn't ever play on kali for more'n 15 min at a time. Zone gets haxored in 3 min, cause there's so lil crap on yer comp.

Anyhow, I'm looking foreward to heading back to kali and just visiting the other community centers after JK2 is released.

Lucky
 SnaKe
06-20-2001, 4:56 AM
wasnt the zones bandwidth cut? i remember back in da day when i'd get on the zone it didnt lag that much... now its lagolicous.

anyways... a UT type setup would be nice... but with like a z/f that has file transfer or somthing. Thats one thing i hate about the zone, no file transfer or anything. oh well. :mad:
 GE_Luke
06-20-2001, 6:33 AM
yeah well I play on the zone, played Tribes 2 and played UT, and from those three IMHO the zone comes out best.
Next comes T2 but UT just isn't that cool if you look at mp capabilities.

I've tried building up a clan for UT but that never worked out because you've got this HUGE list of servers, so the chance of clicking the one server on which your friend is playing, is like supa dupa minimum.
And if you never play together because of this, there'll never become a 'bond'.

T2 is very mp supportive but I think it misses one thing: just internet!

How many times on the zone have you got people playing a new lvl, or new mod?
You hop into the room, see them play a new lvl, quickly surf to massassi d/l and press join! The same for clansites, T2 has got a little clan-info thingy but nothing's as good as a real site with files etc.

In T2 you have to go back to windows.. yeah u can leave T2 on but it'll eat up all your memory :), and it costs much time...

If they'll make JK2 with some sort of T2 mp support and add browsing/downloading in the game then I think that would be the best
 Wilhuf
06-20-2001, 11:13 AM
Q3 tech allows model, skin and level downloading directly from servers.

Just login to the game server. If both the client and server have enabled downloading, you can download the map directly from the server. Of course both client and server can disable this to conserve bandwidth.

Of course you can also just as easily browse a q3 or elite force mapping site and download and install maps, skins models, etc., just as you would for Jedi Knight.

BTW Quake3 was just updated yesterday to include an in-game updater. Also the network code was reprogrammed to give better compression (~5:1 compression) for better online play (especially for modem players). Presumably this tech will find its way to Jedi Outcast.

Also, GameSpy 3d has a 'buddy finder' so you can find your game buddies if they are on a server that is posted on a master server list. Just as easy to find your teammate as in the Zone. Try it for Unreal Tournament. You'll be able to find your clanmates easily.

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]
 Mafia_Jabba
06-20-2001, 1:43 PM
I'd like to see someone create a CLOSED community..invitational only..where members can be admitted and kicked by a board of people..not just temporarily..that'd be cool..it'd be run by people who play...like us
 Boba Jim
06-20-2001, 1:48 PM
We're not all like you. :p
 Roger
06-20-2001, 3:28 PM
I think you guys will see a Quake 3 Team Arena kind of interface in-game, plus you will have gamespy and maybe they will do something on the zone, but I don't think so... Better get a copy of gamespy when the game arrives...

And please, I am not like you...
 wardz
06-20-2001, 3:46 PM
Mafia Jabba,

not everyone is a dedicated gamer in this community, it would be unfair to exclude people, especially the new ones - we need them. Perhaps some people may think you're not good enough...

wardz
 Lucky
06-20-2001, 7:01 PM
yar i vote we kick jabba now =P
 wardz
06-20-2001, 7:34 PM
hahahaa, I second that.

wardz
 SnaKe
06-20-2001, 9:14 PM
rofl!! aye! i vote for that one too.
 Mafia_Jabba
06-21-2001, 1:27 AM
*sniff sniff* I just shot six destruction balls rapid firing at one time, what's the harm in that (says in english accent like in Chicken Run)
 SnaKe
06-21-2001, 3:28 AM
aight... thats the final straw.. now ur officially ranked.... HOMO! so change ur rank to homo.
 GonkH8er
06-21-2001, 4:37 AM
oi, there will be no kicking, and no homo-labelling :)

otherwise, we'll have to flex our staff muscles.....
 Mafia_Jabba
06-21-2001, 6:23 PM
*spit*
 stars are bright
06-21-2001, 11:15 PM
Zone is cool. The tribe2 system sounds good. battlenet sux. gamespy sux.
Zone's got the best community out there. People get on zone not only to play, but also to chat. I know a lot of people who log on zone only to say hi and chat whore. The community, that's what it's all about. :)
 GEJoeSolo
06-21-2001, 11:31 PM
I agree with luke. but none of them can beat a good LAN or even an IP game as fas as killing the lag gose.
 TheJackal_jk2
06-21-2001, 11:36 PM
I like the ZONE for the way they display games in a window, shows ping, players, game description, etc. I like GameSpy Arcade for chat (admins allmost everywhere), search options and a few other things. And of course... dedicated servers

What I dont like about the Zone is the lack of admin, how flooding isn't well blocked. Morons (Though I find Battle.Net to be much worst). I don't like GameSpy for the lack of details in some sections and that recently added Advertisement that shows up when you just launch the program.

If ever TheZone figured a way to implement Dedicated servers to its current internet gaming platform I would ditch GameSpy Arcade right away!
 SnaKe
06-22-2001, 1:00 AM
I like the ZONE for the way they display games in a window, shows ping, players, game description, etc.

dood.. the zones latency is pretty much gay. I've had it alot when the guy on top has 127 and the next 5 guys are anywheres from 30-99. and that thing u said about dedicated servers on the zone would be pretty l337.
Page: 1 of 1