Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Music.......

Page: 1 of 1
 CaptainRAVE
06-03-2001, 5:15 PM
Ok, so the music in JK was pretty cool for any star wars fan.....mainly cause it was taken from the films. I wonder if Raven have the license for the music. Cause lets face it...its not always the graphics and levels that make a game, its all the little things aswell (like in Half Life the little things where you could interact with the environment)!
 Kwup
06-03-2001, 7:18 PM
let's hope that they dont go the Force Commander route and make their own music. That stuff made me wanna puke :(
 Wilhuf
06-03-2001, 7:19 PM
Yeah I'm hoping Raven/LEC will use traditional Star Wars orchestral music, say either as straight mp3 tracks or dynamic mp3s that play in reaction to game events(a la iMUSE X-Wing Alliance, Dark Forces 1).

The music on JK was outstanding and absolutely no other game ever has come close to that level of quality (excepting MotS of course).
 wardz
06-03-2001, 7:40 PM
Wilhulf, I think its pretty safe to say that the music a la JK\MOTS will be used. This is LEC's new flagshp game (Have you seen the poll on their site?)

Therefore they will not be using some crappy B grade music. I'm quite sure of it...

wardz
 ed_silvergun
06-04-2001, 10:58 AM
Quake III uses MP3-based music, so I think it's reasonable to hope that they will give us something similar. As long as it is in the vain of Star Wars and adds to the atmosphere, I'm not too fussed on the specifics. I think at least the majority of the music should be lifted from the films though.
 Bruintone
06-04-2001, 11:06 AM
Honestly, I hope they have something a little different, since I'm a little tired of hearing Luke Skywalker's theme about three different times on JK alone. FOr the stealth missions, they should use 'quiet' kind of music, then pick up suddenly when the action kicks in. Sort of like a 'Friday the 13th' movie. See what I mean?
 Swoosh
06-04-2001, 1:51 PM
There's no way of knowing what they're going to be using for sure...but I think they will use music similar to JK. That is all John Williams music, and anything Raven, LEC, or someone else tries to create to emulate it simply won't be as good. John Williams is the classical man...bar none. I wonder what they'll do...

Swoosh
 mdk30
06-04-2001, 2:23 PM
First of all, I hope they only release the game when it is done, I hate unfinished games that take another 6 months to be completed with patches. I find it hard to bleieve that Raven will be able to release a "finished" game given only about one year to do so, if it is supposed to be released in spring 2002 that is. If they can, that is awesome, but I think it to be highly unlikey even though they are using a pre-existing engine and all.

As for the music, I just want it to be from the movies, that is all. Make it of high quality and play it dynamically in the game to coincide with what is taking place at the time. Don't write any new stuff, unless it is done by John Williams himself, and sure as hell don't change the music into some sort of techno crap like in Force Commander. That would me off for sure. :mad:
 CaptainRAVE
06-04-2001, 4:26 PM
Raven rarely bring out games that require patches. The only reason VEF needed patches was because they wanted to update seven of nines voice and update their servers.
 Archie
06-04-2001, 4:50 PM
SOF did kind of need that patch for the EAX bug ;).
 ed_silvergun
06-04-2001, 9:39 PM
Originally posted by Shadow:
<STRONG>First of all, I hope they only release the game when it is done, I hate unfinished games that take another 6 months to be completed with patches. I find it hard to bleieve that Raven will be able to release a "finished" game given only about one year to do so, if it is supposed to be released in spring 2002 that is. If they can, that is awesome, but I think it to be highly unlikey even though they are using a pre-existing engine and all.</STRONG>

The proposed development cycle of JK II is comparable to that of Elite Force. You only have to look at that game to see the quality of product which Raven can come up with in this sort of time-span. I have every confidence in them, particularly after what we've seen already, since we are only a couple of months into the development cycle!
 Obi Kwan
06-04-2001, 9:47 PM
I love playing games with asthetic music, but I would really like to see a game where you could customize the music being played (set up a sort of mp3 playlist.) I have noticed that If I have an audio cd in my cd rom drive when I play certain demos (the jk demo included) that cd will begin to play. Obviously, that would be impossible with actual retail versions of games, but an mp3 playlist wouldnt be out of the question...
 Aragorn
06-04-2001, 11:38 PM
Well it's not that difficult. You just have to locate the music files of a game and then change them with your own. I did that with Blade of Darkness by replacing its music with the music from the Connan soundtrack. And it ruled :D
Back on topic, I think it would be great if they included iMUSE or something simmilar. Interactive music puts you right in the game...it actually feels like a movie. NOLF IMO was very good in that aspect.
 Darth Oosha
06-05-2001, 11:24 AM
I agree with Bruintone. If you don't like dynamic music, you can always listen to MP3s from JK or the origianl SW soundtracks, right?

The SW themes were fairly idiotically placed in the other games, so I hope that changes with DF3. When you read the little pamphlet, you find out that a certain tune is known as the Rebel Fanfare—so why is it played when the Empire takes control of the Valley of the Jedi? Why is Luke Skywalker's theme played while a mercenary is fighting thugs and gansters on the Smuggler's Moon, or infiltrating an Imperial warship? Why is "The Detention Block" played in Kyle's old home? Why does "The Stormtroopers" introduce the Lost Planet of the Jedi? Why is the Death Star theme played when Kyle blows up an Imperial asteroid base, or when he and Jan are captured by Jabba the Hutt? Why is the Sith theme played when a New Republic cargo carrier is ambushed by pirates? What happened to Kyle Katarn's themes established in DF? Hasn't anyone in LEC's music department read that pamphlet?

It also says: "At any given moment there is no mistaking desert for detention block or spaceport for sandcrawler." Only in JK, there is.

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: Darth Oosha ]
 Wilhuf
06-05-2001, 12:21 PM
The reason the compilation was made for JK/MotS is that LEC weren't about to hire John Williams and have him compose and conduct with the London Symphony Orchestra an entirely new score for Dark Forces. They didn't need full-blown original compositions and performances for 'Nar Shadda,' 'Kyle's Home' and 'The Valley of the Jedi,' and 'The Falling Ship' etc. Recompiled music from the original films could do the trick.

The names of the original film score tracks (e.g. inner city) don't matter at all when the music fits the level and atmosphere perfectly. So what if the background music when Tarkin threatens Leia is playing during Mara Jade's journey through a Tatooine canyon in MotS?

Moreover, the composers for JK would have to be intimately familiar with the score to do their rearrangements, so of course they read the pamphlets (not that it even matters).

Some of the music for the Valley of the Jedi is pretty radically remixed. That takes real knowledge of the score. Indeed, the composers responsible (Peter McConnell and Dave Levison) for that portion did the 'techno' style score for Force Commander. See: this Daily Radar (http://www.dailyradar.com/features/game_feature_page_494_1.html) interview on the Music for Force Commander.
 Bartolo_JCS
06-05-2001, 4:27 PM
Honestly, I hope they have something a little different, since I'm a little tired of hearing Luke Skywalker's theme about three different times on JK alone. FOr the stealth missions, they should use 'quiet' kind of music, then pick up suddenly when the action kicks in. Sort of like a 'Friday the 13th' movie. See what I mean?

Brointine has a good point that's how they worked the music out in the original DF. They tried it in JK but it just wasn't the same.
 CaptainRAVE
06-05-2001, 5:02 PM
At least we can trust raven :)
 CaptainRAVE
07-22-2001, 6:09 PM
I found this thread on something like page 13. Probably when the site first opened. I knew i had made a thread like this somewhere....see all you need to do is look and you may find old threads instead of making new ones exactly the same.

Anyway.....do we know actually what is happening with the music?????? :confused:
Page: 1 of 1