Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Updated Features

Page: 1 of 1
 Kwup
06-03-2001, 2:18 PM
OK, I gota know, all of the new FPS games have standard features that increase gameplay, like Observer Mode and Demos(incase you dont know, demos are recordings of your match, so other people can see everything you do from your perspective, great for clan leaders), and other misc. stuff like Dedicated Servers. So, has anyone heard if this stuff will be included in JKII or not? If so shoutcasting will be a blast! :cool:
 Seryl Cann
06-03-2001, 2:45 PM
It's the Q3 engine, so I would imagine the same kind of options as in Q3 (or Elite Force for that matter).
 CaptainRAVE
06-03-2001, 4:08 PM
Its too early for them to say much at the moment though. The demo for E3 slowed um down a bit aswell.....one thing we can be sure of though.....JK2 is gonna need awsome system specs cause of the extra polygons being used!!!!!!! :p
 Archie
06-03-2001, 5:33 PM
Dedicated servers is a given... Shoutcasting? Are you refering to the recent Half-Life announcement, or the MP3 streaming program? Neither of which is that likely in JKII, although there will obviously be a spectator mode.
 Kwup
06-03-2001, 6:29 PM
Shoutcasting as in a 3rd party (usually 2 people in observer mode) just talking into the mic through a voice program and announcing it on the internet for anyone to listen to what is going on in the match. It goes great with a chat room for everyone to discuss stuff in. I know from experience that it works great in Tribes 1 and Tribes 2, dunno about other games. http://tsn.gameloft.com) is the shoutcasting network I am referring to.
 Archie
06-03-2001, 7:43 PM
That would be the streaming MP3 then... which isn't really a part of the game, just something that you can run concurrently... a nice idea however, it would be nice if that was integrated in Valves idea, which is to allow unlimited spectators to view in game basically.
 Visac
06-03-2001, 8:11 PM
For what do you need Voice Chat in Jedi Outcast? This is not Counterstrike or Strike Force.
Why not using the force?
what?...you canґt use the force? LOL

Visac
 ed_silvergun
06-03-2001, 8:48 PM
Observer mode, demo recording and dedicated servers are all established features of the Quake III engine. I can't imagine that Raven would remove functionality from the engine, so I'd be surprised if these features weren't included.

Voice communication is not an in-built feature of the engine, but it is gaining in popularity, and its recent inclusion in games such as Tribes 2 may well prompt developers to look on it as a standard feature. Kick up enough of a fuss about it on the forums, and Raven might just take note!
 Kwup
06-03-2001, 11:14 PM
I'm not talking about Voice Chat, but that is also recommended. If you are a very competitive team, then you may already be using Roger Wilco, who knows :p
 CaptainRAVE
06-04-2001, 5:40 PM
Voice communication is quite popular these days.......but creates loads of lag usually
 Archie
06-04-2001, 5:51 PM
What I think Kwup is talking about is a form of internet radio, used for commenting on a game as it is played, as a sports commentator would. It's probably more useful for clan/league games.

As for voip for current games, yes it creates lag, and is only decently usable on broadband, but it is the way forward. Somehow I don't expect it in JKII though.
 CaptainRAVE
06-04-2001, 5:53 PM
Neither do I. Also any of the times it has been used it wasnt that succesful.
 Archie
06-04-2001, 5:54 PM
Roger Wilco is actually quite common for clans in TFC. Not sure about other games, but it is "out there".
 Kwup
06-04-2001, 6:21 PM
Actually, JK2 mp will probably be oriented around DM, like JK1. But games like Tribes 2, which are %100 team games are very reliant on voice chat between you and your other 15 members.

If voice chat isn't included, I suggest some sort of voice communication, like in Tribes or UT where you can issue commands.

Also, shoutcasting is indeed only usefull for "official matches" but I hope that we do have those kinds of games, since they boost the community far foward. :cool:
 CaptainRAVE
06-04-2001, 6:35 PM
But remember....everyone is interested in the multiplayer, lets not forget the single player!
Page: 1 of 1