Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Game Engine Right For The Game?

Page: 1 of 1
 Outlaw
06-03-2001, 12:07 PM
I'm sure Jedi Knight 2 will be a great game. I do have one concern. Star Wars is known to have great open areas which we see in all the movies. The Jedi knight game engine handled this well with huge open levels. I know from experience that the Quake 3 game engine can have problems with really big levels ie. Elite Force-Borg Cube Level. The game can chug or need several load times times in the bigger levels. I will be upgrading my PC by the time this game is released next spring or summer yet it is still a concern.
 ReAcToR
06-03-2001, 1:45 PM
I know from experience that the Quake 3 game engine can have problems with really big levels

The Quake 3 Engine is an ever-changing engine. It is being constantly updated and the latest features in technology are inevitably going to be inhibited into this engine. From what I understand(from reading numerous other posts, a few of which are on this forum) there is new coding that was in Q3TA that enabled vast levels to become more of a reality. Large levels such as the ones featured in Jedi Knight, will most likely live on in Jedi Knight II.

Maybe someone can be more specific than I can, about what exactly was updated in the Q3TA coding to enable more wide-opened levels?
 Ki-Adi-Mundi
06-03-2001, 1:51 PM
Where's Wiluf when you need him? :confused:
 CaptainRAVE
06-03-2001, 4:18 PM
If loading times were long in elite force (same here) then JK2 definatly wont run on your computer......especially now their doubling the polygons......look at the unreal 2 minimum specs, should give us an idea. Probably need a P2 450+ minimum. Anyway, i reckon the graphics will be immense....look at team arena, those huge levels were amazing, and JK2 will use the new updated engine!!!!!WOW :eek:
 Kumba
06-03-2001, 4:34 PM
I'm running a P3 Dual 1ghz system so I don't even see the load screen in EF. :D
 ArcaneSix
06-03-2001, 4:41 PM
The quake 3 engine is definitly the best engine for jk2. and yes it can handle out door areas extremely well....look at the huge outdoor levels in the quake3 team arena expansion pack. It runs really smooth even on my p3 450 w/ voodoo 4 32mb and 128 ram.
 Archie
06-03-2001, 5:35 PM
Look at Q3TA for likely minimum specs... Unreal 2 will actually have higher specs, due to it's extensive use of T&L.
 Binary
06-03-2001, 5:41 PM
The Q3 engine of JK2 should be sweet. The Quake engines have always been really good.
 CaptainRAVE
06-03-2001, 5:42 PM
Yes.....but remember it will be the team arena engine but with double the polygons....that will wack the spec super high....
 Wilhuf
06-03-2001, 7:15 PM
Yeah for some reason Quake3 suffers from the corridor crawler syndrome. Seems like some folks have no faith in it for exteriors.

Yet, Q3 tech can definitely handle large exteriors. Terrain (heightmap) rendering was always possible at the technology's release. I'm not worried about it.
 Seryl Cann
06-03-2001, 8:30 PM
The Quake 1 and 2 engines were bad for open areas. The Quake 3 engine had some problems with it, but as far as I know the Quake 3 Arena engine can handle open areas pretty good. I don't think the levels will be quite as huge-feeling as in JK1, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.
 Jedi_Killer
06-03-2001, 8:30 PM
Guys, go look at some screenshots from Alice, Heavy Metal: FAKK2, and the upcoming Soldier of Fortune, Medal of Honor, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The game can handle large outdoor areas just fine. The reason Q3 is all in small cramped levels is because that is the best environment for a deathmatch game. You need to be able to move around quickly and have lots of surfaces to hide behind and/or create splash damage with.
 ed_silvergun
06-03-2001, 8:37 PM
There's no problem with the actual engine being able to handle large areas. The only problem I can forsee is mid-level load times on lower-spec machines. My K6-2 450 machine with 128mb RAM needed a fair bit of thinking time during those mid-level loads in Elite Force. This shouldn't be a problem on higher-spec PCs though.
 Archie
06-04-2001, 6:47 AM
Oh, another point will be that Raven might use their ROAM technology they're developing for SOF2. It isn't actually a true ROAM implementation, but it certainly allows for some nice landscapes.
 General_Solo
06-04-2001, 9:11 AM
The Quake3 Engine is a Major reason that iam gonna buy JKII, If you have ever played Team Arena and had a CTF game on MPTerra2 (the biggest terrain level) then you could not really wish for more space to run around in..

I think it is a good choice, raven also know the ID engines real well, they know what they can and can't do, so we are in for one really pollished game.

I cant wait

Solo
 Neutraleyes
06-04-2001, 9:20 AM
The Q3 engine is a major reason for me too, when JK came out its graphics were mediocre, it's always been that way with lucasarts
 General_Solo
06-04-2001, 9:23 AM
anyone who has not seen TA mpterra2 want me to do a couple of screenie's, so that you get the idea of size ?

Solo
Page: 1 of 1