Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Better than Jedi Knight?

Page: 1 of 1
 KyleKatarn
06-03-2001, 1:54 AM
I truly cannot wait for Outcast! I just hope the story is deep, full, and gets you lost in the Star Wars world like Jedi Knight did.
I could not get enough of Jedi Knight, even with the user created SP levels. Now to have it again? Say goodbye to sleep (I hope).
 NeJJa
06-03-2001, 1:58 AM
we are all excited about TFAOTPJWTUFGKKAHCPJO...
 Thrawn
06-03-2001, 2:02 AM
I don't think it will ever be as good as JK. The levels are going to be smaller, and the rest we'll have to wait and see about.

What would really be cool is an updated version of JK to go with JK II :D
 Obi
06-03-2001, 2:06 AM
<font color=cbcbff> Less levels, Thrawn, not smaller.
 Thrawn
06-03-2001, 2:13 AM
I heard smaller too, as it's harder to create the huge levels JK had with the new engine, but either way, it's still gonna have a hard time living up to the origional.
 Cake_MiX
06-03-2001, 2:46 AM
hi hi!
j00 guys are crazy, JK2 is gonna rock
 Boba Rhett
06-03-2001, 3:28 AM
True, the Q3 engine can't support large areas but this is a modified Q3 engine so none of us know what it will be capable of doing yet.
 Jedi_Killer
06-03-2001, 3:30 AM
In order to do large complex levels you have to use up a lot of RAM since the level files end up being huge. By having smaller complex levels that connect well (like in Elite Force or Half-Life) you get the illusion of a larger area to explore without any real cut in gameplay. So in order to make the illusion of JK's 17 levels it might take 50 levels in the file but would still play the same.

Alternatly you could make really large less detailed levels but that would look so 1998. hehe
 Archie
06-03-2001, 4:20 AM
Also JKII will have code from Q3TA, which had quite good support for large outdoors terrain style levels.

As someone has said though, the easiest way for raven to do if you still want a huge scale is to have tiny levels,maybe of a single area, but retaining scale for *that* area, so that you just have a 5 second load when you pass it.

So, the scale can be retained, it just needs to split over more than one level.
Page: 1 of 1