Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Console commands

Page: 1 of 1
 SithTexasDeath
06-05-2001, 5:43 AM
I hope to see all of the console commands in Jk2 and new ones. Especially Cg_fov and garfix tweaks. Does anyone know if your going to be able to be in first person view with the lightsaber activated.Or does it stay in thirdperson when on. Your thoughts?

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Armand ]
 ZeroXcape
06-05-2001, 5:55 AM
You can shoot and saber in both first and third person.
 KillerBee
06-05-2001, 11:05 AM
uck Fov changes you cheating whore
(/me quickly alters cfg ;))
 CaptainRAVE
06-05-2001, 5:18 PM
At least we know the cheats will be easy to put in......god for god mode etc!
 SithTexasDeath
06-05-2001, 6:58 PM
How is changing the fov cheating?? if you go higher like Cg_fov 115 as opposed to cg_fov 90 which is default in q3a .It makes models thinner.Hence harder to hit. man you must be q3a newbie heheh ITS NOT CHEATING Taking away the smoke trail and crap like that is.Let me see you hit a rail on cg_fov 10 or cg_fov 150 Impossisble!
 Sherack Nhar
06-05-2001, 7:23 PM
On the contrary, setting the fov in quake 3 to 110-115 in Quake 3 is an enormous advantage to normal people as long as you have a respectable aim.

The fov is just that, a Field Of View. When setting it higher, you can see people that are more to your side than those leaving it to the default setting.

It especially shows in Rocket Arena. :D
 Wilhuf
06-05-2001, 7:27 PM
I thought there was an option in Q3 so that server admins can lock the FOV to the default?
 SithTexasDeath
06-05-2001, 7:50 PM
I only play Ra3 it shows m0re in deathmatch. Take this for example You have a 14 inch monitor and you have the default fov of 90. your gonna suck like crap in DEATHMATCH because 1. your field of veiw is nothing
2.you have bad eye sight
3. your weapon is bigger than the screen
4.your max resolution is 640x480
5.you now nothing of CG_fov
6.you cant afford a a bigger monitor
Its about the Sensitivitvy Is that cheating to ? Well its the same thing. In DEath match HAving a Higher fov can help. There is not much skill in DM any way. NOw when you speak of RA3. Fov is a important factor. I Have a 17Inch monitor the only thing is I set my Fov to 115 Because:
1.I have my res set to 1200x1280
2.I like fast gameplay
3.I like to have my field of Vision to be as if im really there. Wouldnt you?
And its more challanging to hit smaller models.

I could go on but dont want to. If you cheat thats your thing thats why there are PURE severs.run One! :mad: heheh
 ed_silvergun
06-05-2001, 8:38 PM
"com_hunkmegs" is the all important command line in any Quake III engine game. Setting it correctly is vital to getting the most in terms of performance out of the game.
 SithTexasDeath
06-05-2001, 9:56 PM
Hunkmegs effect you machines perfomance as well rember Windows takes alot of ram so if your com_hunkmegs are to high it screws everything up.
 DrIfTeR
06-05-2001, 10:01 PM
That is cheating if its altering the default.

"Save the Concussion Rifles!"
http://Drifterspad.homestead.com/files/conc.gif)
 SithTexasDeath
06-06-2001, 6:19 AM
What???? So changing the default is Cheating? That sux if you want to change your resolution to a higher setting from 640x480 to 1024x768 Thats cheating?
Tuning off the high quality sky is cheating? Its on Default .No ITs NOT! Turning off smoke trails,high shadows and forcing models to tankjr or some other fat model . Thats cheating. Changing the default is not................ :D
 KillerBee
06-06-2001, 8:07 AM
force player models helps preformance.. sides you have to play as that large loud character as well..
And if its not switched on, everyone plays as tiny ickle people which are hard to see. which is clearly cheating damn it! go back to quake.. where people could just change their colour! ohh wait.. even then they cheated.. ;)

How the hell do you turn of rocket trails!
I can get lightning and pgs untextured. and the RL Trails untextured. which helps me see through them.. but off.. everytime I fire a rl I lose 30 fps. 2 or 3 and I am sub 20!
/me kicks pos poot!
ohh and most tournies seem to have rules about fov no more then 110, no more then pic_mip 5 etc, etc.
 Cronach
06-06-2001, 10:33 AM
One think I like about the Quake3 engine is the pure server mode. I can easily see that JK2 wont be hacked like the jk we play now.

And no, the things you guys mentioned are not considered cheating(atleast in my book).
Cheating is modifying the game to alow you to do things that others cant. Example, pretend a rocket launcher does 50 damage a hit, and you hack your files so your RL does 65 damage. Or modifying the game to mess up play for others like warping.

Also, most quake3 console comands are actually made to run the game better for computers that are haveing problems. That, and to make the game more flexable (or different) if the host so chooses.
 Wilhuf
06-06-2001, 3:44 PM
Another cool thing with the Quake3 engine is that you can record your games using the record command. Record cheaters in the act and post to a public llama board, if that's your thing.

Of course a better use is to record your own JKO matches, showing off your 'elite Jedi skills.'

record : records a demo (record mydemo.dm3) (g_syncronousClients must be a 1 to start) Btw g_syncronousClients only affects the person recording, not other gamers.
 ed_silvergun
06-06-2001, 4:10 PM
Yeah, I look forward to the ability to record demos in Outcast. It's always fun to swap demos and check out other people in action. If you're serious about playing, it allows you to watch and analyse your tactics and your opponents', which always helps your own skills.
 Wilhuf
08-28-2001, 12:28 PM
Just read on PlanetQuake3.net (http://www.planetquake3.net/site.php3?c=./features/q3toavi.shtml) that you can convert your Q3 demos to .avi format. If you wanted to post .avis, .mpgs or animated gifs of your gameplay, you can create those. So you can show off your gameplay to anyone with a web browser.

Step 1:
1) Type "/g_syncronousclients 1"
2) Type "/demo "
3) PLAY QUAKE3
4) Type "/stoprecord" When done.

Now that you got a demo you can start recording.

Type:
/cl_avidemo 15
Optional:
/cg_thirdperson 1
/cg_thirdpersonrange 45
/cg_thirdpersonangle 30

Obviously the range and angle can be manipulated to your liking.

Now you should go find something to do rather than endlessly stare at q3 take screenshots constantly for like 6 hours. Also befor you do this you ight want to clear up some space, Q3 saves to *.tga and TGA files ar about 1.1mb for a 640x480 pic, so you might want to have about 1-2 gigs free (until youve got your movie dona and are satisfied).

Now that it is done, you will need a program to merge the files into an animation.i recomend jpbmp2avi, it will also take in TGA files but, if you have it you should use Adobe AfterEffects (as recomended by ArcidCola from the WFA mod team).

So Now your Done!! Yippie!!

I don't know whether the /cl_avidemo command is supported in all Q3 tech games.

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]
Page: 1 of 1