Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Co-op Multiplayer in JK2 , if you want it, email me, im starting a co-op suggestion

Page: 1 of 1
 [XLR]_Eric
06-04-2001, 7:54 PM
Co-op Multiplayer in JK2 , if you want it, email me, im starting a co-op suggestion doc, this is the one feature that would truly make my day, and others, so help out, take 60 sec and email me with your email adress and why you would like to see co-op, or if you just want it period just say that, i and my clan will be making a giant text document and sending it to the respective rep's in hopes of getting it done, rock on raven!! and rock on JK2, we're in good hands with raven, these guys got it where it counts. :)

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: [XLR]_Eric ]
 Swoosh
06-04-2001, 8:12 PM
As far as I know, I heard that they are attempting to do a co-op mode. However, this may prove too difficult for them to do for various reasons such as difficulty matching up timed events. But, atleast Raven is trying!

Swoosh
 Obi Kwan
06-04-2001, 8:31 PM
I know you are just trying to give your opinion on one of the game's features, but the word "petition" has such a negative connotation. IMO, I say let them make the game the way they will because there is no way to include all of the various features people are looking for. When you send your "petition", I would change the name to "suggestions." Just an idea.
 SithSeeD
06-04-2001, 8:32 PM
You have my signature. Co-op in single player would rule.

It's been missing in too many games.

SithSeeD :mad:
 wardz
06-04-2001, 8:41 PM
I agree with ObiKwan, that would not be a good idea... Raven checks these forums and they know we want co-op, what you are trying to do will make things more awkward rather than persuade them to change their minds. Sorry. Just my opinion.

wardz
 Swoosh
06-04-2001, 8:49 PM
Yeah, I'd agree...probably the BEST way to get Raven's postive =) attention is to continue posting on forums like this and spark a lot of conversation about co-op. This would be positive and would certainly get read by developers.

Swoosh
 wardz
06-04-2001, 9:16 PM
WAIT! I have just been on the LEC site and im sure that their features section for JK2 has changed..

Multi-player options including, deathmatch, saber-only deathmatch, and team capture the flag

I am SURE that originally that it said something about co-op. Please correct me if im wrong which im sure you will...but saying that i only looked at it quickly a few times

has anyone else noticed? or is it me not getting enough sleep?

wardz
 Wilhuf
06-04-2001, 9:19 PM
Yes the LEC page used to say coop. Now it does not.
 wardz
06-04-2001, 9:21 PM
I knew it was, I thougt i was imagining things

wardz
 [XLR]_Eric
06-04-2001, 9:45 PM
my last intention is to piss off raven, i love these guys work, the only reason i started the suggestion is because the co-op mode was taken off the site. i personally and others of whom i have talked to, will be influenced by the inclusion of this feature on whether or not to "buy", as a matter of fact i will buy 2 copies of the game if they include it.

Letalis
06-04-2001, 10:38 PM
Co-op play would be awesome! It'd be extremely disappointing to see it go. :(
We can only hope that if it is taken out of the original, maybe they'll put it in an expansion?
It'd make the game so much more desirable, (not that it isn't already ;) ).
We can only appeal to Raven's good sense! And we know to make JK2 they have plenty of that...
 Sifl
06-04-2001, 11:14 PM
Okay, as much as I think Co-op is really cool, (especially in games where it fits with the theme well, like Aliens or other military themes), I understand it's not easy to do. Back in the Doom days it was easy- it was peer to peer with no randomness in AI, so there was no having to send any networking info about monsters to all the clients. Networking traffic in peer to peer was much smaller. NOWADAYS... well, it's totally different. The server runs all the game stuff (monsters, etc.) and has to send not only all the info about each player to all the other players, but it would have to send all the info about every monster to every player. That's a lot of network traffic, multiplayer games are already stuggling with bloated packet sizes...
Add to that the complexity of the levels with scripted events and cinematics that can break easily when there is more than one player... it just isn't feasible unless the game is designed from the ground up as a co-op game (so in "single-player", other player slots are filled by AI-controlled allies).
The last FPS that tried to do co-op took 4 years to come out and bombed (Daikatana). And, (aside from Raven), who else even put out an FPS that had full singleplayer and multiplayer in the box (I can think of one game- that 60's spy game, can't remember the title)? So I don't think we'll be seeing games with co-op anymore (unless they're specifically designed for it- and Jedi Knight is not a co-op type of experience- Kyle's a loner).

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: Sifl ]
 digl
06-04-2001, 11:29 PM
their features section for JK2 has changed..
LEC guys had been doing things too right this last time
They had to make something like that
 tulwinn
06-05-2001, 7:14 AM
Originally posted by Sifl:
[QB]Back in the Doom days it was easy- it was peer to peer with no randomness in AI, so there was no having to send any networking info about monsters to all the clients. Networking traffic in peer to peer was much smaller. NOWADAYS... well, it's totally different. The server runs all the game stuff (monsters, etc.) and has to send not only all the info about each player to all the other players, but it would have to send all the info about every monster to every player. That's a lot of network traffic, multiplayer games are already stuggling with bloated packet sizes...
QB]

I agree the games are more complex but what about Sven coop? Lots of ai running about, good engine (for its day) and it doesn't chug along so it IS possible.

I think as you said the more complex side is the scripted events as opposed to the packet sizes but that can be worked around.

--
mostly
 Darth Lunatic
06-05-2001, 9:58 AM
Co-op would an excellent inclusion for Jedi Knight 2. I know it is very hard to do cos its a strain on network traffic etc.

But you can't use that excuse all the time. Games are only going to get more and more complex. Does this mean we will never again see a co-op mode ever, because its too hard to program? I highly doubt it!

[ June 05, 2001: Message edited by: Darth Lunatic ]
 GonkH8er
06-05-2001, 10:04 AM
one of the big problems in having co op in single player is the fact that a lot of single player events are timed or location based. say, a wall might collapse and prevent backtracking when you walk past it. if this happens and you're in co-op, you'd better as hell walk past at the same time, or someones gonna get left behind :)

and i always enjoy my location based surprises. like walking through an airlock, only to have it seal right behind you and be confronted by a sith lord. thatd be niiiiiiiice :)
 Darth Oosha
06-05-2001, 11:34 AM
They've got email addresses, don't they? Why don't you just ask LEC nicely what's going on, instead of just letting the speculation and assumption spiral out of control like this?

Personally, I can get plenty of co-op action out of Descent 1-3, Marathon 2-infinity, Myth II, Quake II, Rainbow Six, and so on, but it would still be nice to get a Star Wars setting without someone having to make a third-party TC.
 wardz
06-05-2001, 4:22 PM
What makes some of you so sure that it was even in the game in the first place? Perhaps LEC realised that they had made their features section a little ambiguous and decided to change it to stop all this confusion from happening and disappointing us when the game arrives, they have done us a favour by clarifying things...

I know we all want Co-op mode in, but face it, they have obviously had talks about this and currently with time and other contraints it isn't viable at the moment, I'm sure the dev's would have liked it JUST as much as we would have done - but it is going to make things very awkward trying to include it against their will - ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN..

Maybe the time the next game comes out or an add-on pack we may see it included. I'm just as frsutrated as you lot are but its not the end of the world...

wardz
 Swoosh
06-05-2001, 4:31 PM
Good point wardz. Think of it like this...instead of dealing with the nightmare of trying to impliment co-op mode successfully, Raven will have much more time to focus on single player and multiplayer. Sifl pointed out Diakatana which took 4 years to get out and it still sucked even with one of the best game programmers on earth running it! I agree it should just be left out...there is no easy way to do it and adding it would cause headaches to developers, delay the game's release, and pontentially damage the final product's quality. Let them focus on amking a great single player campaign and some awesome multiplayer levels and modes. Go RAVEN! :)

Swoosh
 wardz
06-05-2001, 4:44 PM
exactly Swoosh,

The logistics of doing co-op would be a nightmare especially that this will be the game from which people will remember LEC most for now.

We cannot afford any mishaps with it, and they know it..

wardz
 Locoman
06-05-2001, 4:56 PM
I think the LEC changed the features section of JK2 because there was misinterpretation of the word "coop." As I remember, it was used in the context of team-based cooperative multiplayer. I remember feeling let down when I read that because I'd heard so much buzz about coop play.

I don't think coop was ever part of the deal, but if anyone knows different, please corrct me.
 CaptainRAVE
06-05-2001, 4:58 PM
At least we know raven will take our suggestions into consideration :D
 Sifl
06-06-2001, 1:30 AM
Originally posted by mostly harmless:
<STRONG>what about Sven coop?</STRONG>

What's Sven?
 GonkH8er
06-06-2001, 5:04 AM
i believe it was the mod for halflife where you could play pretty much all of the single player missions co-op over a lan....

i think.... correct me if im wrong guys :)
 tulwinn
06-06-2001, 5:43 AM
Originally posted by GonkH8er:
<STRONG>i believe it was the mod for halflife where you could play pretty much all of the single player missions co-op over a lan....

i think.... correct me if im wrong guys :)</STRONG>

Your pretty right ;) its as you decribe but you can play it online too, Ive done it.

It lets you play the single player missions with friends although its not perfect, a couple of the missions cause problems but they can be worked around.

There are also a lot of fan made maps which give you a certain objective, rescue hostages etc. One of the newer maps puts you on a alien space ship which gets attacked and you and a friend have to defend the ship, there are usually certain tasks you have to perform together in the maps and you couldnt complete them alone. I dont think Im explaiing it very well so theres a review that explains it better than me ;)
http://www.project-gaming.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=6)
http://www.svencoop.com/)

the page is down at the moment for some reason

Its one of the reasons I'd love a coop mode in JKII, hopefully if Raven dont do it someone else will.

--
mostly
 Letalis
06-06-2001, 10:44 AM
Thanks mostly, I'd been looking for that!

I'm also heartily for some Co-op, but well aware of the difficulties is posses...we can only hope and trust in the Force. ;)
Page: 1 of 1