Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What is The Secret of Monkey Island???

Page: 1 of 1
 gusti
11-29-2000, 10:49 AM
Thats a subject to chew on
 Largo
11-29-2000, 11:18 AM
Discussed many times. The secret of monkey isalnd was supposed to be that there is actually no pirate world and all the story is a creation of two young children playing in an amusement park. In their innocent game the create an imaginery world in which the real world partially interferes (the grog machine for example). This would be the secret according to Ron Gilbert. But luckily Ron could not actually work on this idea (and i say luckily because ending a story just saying it was a bad dream or sb's imagination or this kind of crap shows writing inability). SPOILER***The real secret of monkey island is the monkey robot that lied beneath it
 The Mirrorball Man
11-29-2000, 3:44 PM
That's easy.

The secret of Monkey Island is t
 Bob Shrimp
11-30-2000, 8:55 PM
Wrongo Largo! Didn't you pay any attention the last time?

At the end of MI2, not only does Chuckie's eyes glow evil (suggesting that he really is LeChuck), but Elaine also mentions that she "Just hopes that Guybrush didn't get cursed or anything", stating for a fact that the ending of MI2 isn't real, and that MI3's explaination prolly really close to Ron Gilbert's original intention.

Also, throughout *ALL* the Monkey Island games, the characters reveal that they *ARE* in a computer game. Herman talking to the audience on Monkey Island, Guybrush commenting on not spending $19.95 for a computer game, and many others.

As far as the real secret to Monkey Island, I don't think there ever was one. It was just an adventure hook that you could write a story around w/out having to come up with a real answer.

Bob Shrimp

------------------
You: What is the Secret of Monkey Island?
Me: The secret is, is that there is no secret.
You: Huh? But what about Big Whoop, the Three-Headed Monkey, and/or The Big Honking Monkey Robot?
Me: Oh *THOSE*. Well you really can't call them secrets now, can you?
You: Huh?
Me: Well everyone knows about them now, don't they?
You: Well I guess...
Me: See, there you go. Since they're not secrets anymore, there is *NO* Secret of Monkey Island. So what has this taught you?
You: Never to spend, $39.99 on a computer game.
Me: Tsk, Tsk, BAD MONKEY!!! *Whack!* Besides, that was more or less a direct steal from an answer to the first Monkey Island game!
 Guybrush MarleyThreepwood
12-01-2000, 8:27 PM
I know exactly what the real secret of monkey island is. I'll tell you.
The real secret of monkey island is... hold on, there's someone at my door. This will only take a second...

HOLY ****! It's Lucasarts! They know where I am!

I must tell you the secret before I am taken away!

The real secret of monkey island is... NOOOO!
AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

<User has been deleted>
 Guybrush MarleyThreepwood
12-01-2000, 8:27 PM
User has been deleted
 Guybrush UK
12-01-2000, 8:44 PM
Originally posted by Bob Shrimp:
Also, throughout *ALL* the Monkey Island games, the characters reveal that they *ARE* in a computer game. Herman talking to the audience on Monkey Island, Guybrush commenting on not spending 20 bucks for a computer game, and many others.

There also: -

Guybrush commiting suicide - 'Goodbye cruel Adventure Game... ahh forget it'

Guybrush/Voodoo lady on contracts - 'i have a 5 game contract with Lucasarts'

Guybrush wakes up on foreboding but similar island - 'its like my life... is a series of... PUZZLES!!!'

http://www.escapemi.com/forums/smile.gif)

------------------
LUA Bar... Whats a LUA?
http://www.milegend.com/timmya.gif)
 Bob Shrimp
12-01-2000, 9:59 PM
I only mentioned the examples from MI1 & MI2, because I thought that Largo would say that the other Monkey Islands don't count, being that Ron didn't write 'em and all...

As far as the new games go (MI3 & MI4), they both capture the spirit of the original games , and do a pretty good job of RetCon (reconstructive history, a term I've heard applied to Spiderman comics). Althought I'd say that MI3 does a better job than MI4.

Reason? Well MI3's RetCon ties MI2 into MI1 (no mean feat, mind you) and from what I can tell doesn't contradict anything in MI1 or MI2. MI4 however does have a bit of a problem... To be honest, I had no doubt in my mind that Elaine's Grandfather was still alive (even back in MI2), but he just *CAN'T* be Herman Toothrot. I mean if you read the log, or piece together what Herman says & the various notes, you'll find that MI1's history contradicts MI4's Herman history.

So in other words, somebody messed up. Still, I'd like to believe the storyline isn't totally unsalvagable... Herman still could be Elaine's grandpa, but it needs more explaination than what was given in MI4... (Like how he joined up with Dope-on-a-Rope on Melee Island, just to get stranded on Monkey Island... *AGAIN*!)

Bob Shrimp

------------------
You: What is the Secret of Monkey Island?
Me: The secret is, is that there is no secret.
You: Huh? But what about Big Whoop, the Three-Headed Monkey, and/or The Big Honking Monkey Robot?
Me: Oh *THOSE*. Well you really can't call them secrets now, can you?
You: Huh?
Me: Well everyone knows about them now, don't they?
You: Well I guess...
Me: See, there you go. Since they're not secrets anymore, there is *NO* Secret of Monkey Island. So what has this taught you?
You: Never to spend, $39.99 on a computer game.
Me: Tsk, Tsk, BAD MONKEY!!! *Whack!* Besides, that was more or less a direct steal from an answer to the first Monkey Island game!
 Monkey_Girl
12-02-2000, 6:01 PM

Wait a minute, what the hell?! When does that happen?

(These questions may sound stupid, but I have to wait until the end of December at least to play EMI.)

------------------
Monkey_Girl
I am the queen of all monkeys! Bow down before me! BWAHAHAHAHA!!...I said bow!...Hey I'm serious!...BOW!...Stop that giggling!
 Monkey_Girl
12-02-2000, 6:39 PM

Wait a minute, what the Hell?! When does that happen?!

(I know questions like that are annoying and or stupid, but I can't play EMI 'til the end of December at least.

------------------
Monkey_Girl
I am the queen of all monkeys! Bow down before me! BWAHAHAHAHA!!...I said bow!...Hey I'm serious!...BOW!...Stop that giggling!
 Monkey_Girl
12-02-2000, 6:41 PM
...and how the hell did THAT just happen?
 brief
12-02-2000, 8:11 PM
Early on in EMI, you can try jumping off a cliff... and Guybrush will make his comment.... http://www.escapemi.com/forums/wink.gif)

------------------
"Show me a man who's gentle and kind, and I'll show you a loser."
-Meet the Parents
Page: 1 of 1