Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The One Year Thread 2014: Main Street Electrical Parade Through The Dark Side

Page: 3 of 5
 Wildstar
01-20-2014, 1:56 PM
I bought a crock pot for myself during my Xmas shopping, and I took a try at making beef stroganoff in it yesterday...I thought it came out pretty good. :)
 Rogue15
01-20-2014, 2:26 PM
The only thing worth keeping in the post RotJ EU is Zahn's Heir to the Empire Trilogy. Everything else is trash. Either some thinly veiled Mary Sue character or some super weapon that is going to destroy everything.

There are some things i would LOVE to get trashed, the stupid light saber styles, and the Vong

the vong were interesting...xwing series was good too
 edlib
01-20-2014, 3:11 PM
Spent the long weekend cleaning and organizing my cellar. Not fun... but it had to be done. Set up some new shelving to help keep it orderly down there.

And it's still only a start... I haven't gone though any of the boxes yet to see if any of it is stuff I actually want or need to keep. I've just been moving them into better locations and throwing away the stuff in the open that's obviously junk.

Next is to tackle the crawl spaces off my bedroom in the attic. That's going to be a long weekend's work in itself.
 Cmdr. Cracken
01-20-2014, 11:17 PM
The Vong were trash when they killed Chewbaca.
 K_Kinnison
01-21-2014, 1:54 AM
My main beefs with the X-wing series: Corran Horn is a Mary sue type character. all the space combat mechanics was based of the X-wing games. Limited fuel on X-wings fighters became a plot device.

The Vong: How can a Xenophobic race, that relies on killing a superior to advance, or killing a subordinate to gain favor from the gods, ever possibly have a society that develope space travel? and why the heck would you think you could even possibly negotiate with them?

As mentioned before, Chewbaccas death was stupid and poorly done. RA salvator can do fantasy but he cannot do sci-fi
 Rogue15
01-21-2014, 10:59 AM
i wish they'd make TFU 3...
 K_Kinnison
01-21-2014, 11:27 AM
now that is trolling
 Rogue15
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
no, i want to see how vader gets free, what happens to the secret apprentice, and what happens to juno.
 Keyan Farlander
01-21-2014, 12:19 PM
My main beefs with the X-wing series: Corran Horn is a Mary sue type character.

Corran Horn was kind of a boring character, but his books were still OK. But the X-Wing series really got good under Allston, and I'd hate to see those go.

all the space combat mechanics was based of the X-wing games. Limited fuel on X-wings fighters became a plot device.

The fighters didn't have limited fuel in the games, though. And I don't remember that being a big issue in the books except for the first one, and it didn't seem problematic to me. I may not be remembering everything, though.

I never had any interest in reading the Vong the books, so I don't know about any of that. Thrawn Trilogy was definitely the best of the EU, though. Even the later Thrawn Duology or whatever wasn't that great.
 Rogue15
01-21-2014, 1:33 PM
i read star by star and dark journey, great books. wish i could've got into it more, but then there was a slew of star wars games that came out and i got hooked.
 edlib
01-21-2014, 6:43 PM
Other than the official novelizations, the first run of Marvel comics, and a few books that came out between the movie releases of the original trilogy (Splinter of the Mind's Eye; Han Solo at Star's End; maybe a couple of others I borrowed but didn't own...) I never bothered much with the EU books, so this doesn't bother me much. And it's not like you can't read the existing books that are already printed... It just means that they may not reprint the ones that directly conflict with the new story lines.

I wonder what this is going to to all the various Wikis and SW database websites out there that try to fit all the universe stuff into a coherent unified canon. Are they going to trash all the old stuff as well? Or will the new and old entries live side by side with a note to the effect of parallel universe branching of the EU?

P.S. - Happy Birthday 15!
:joy:
 K_Kinnison
01-22-2014, 1:03 AM
no, i want to see how vader gets free, what happens to the secret apprentice, and what happens to juno.

And that is why they come out with crap, cause people like you want more crap, just to see what kind of crap it is

In Force Unleashed the main character is dead... so you bring him back to life as a clone in the sequel, and somehow the clone has memories of the original and other plot specific information to move the story along like a 2 year old learning how to drive a stick shift.
 Rogue15
01-22-2014, 8:06 AM
jesus k_k, it's fiction.....not like they're rewriting the ****in bible...god damn.

-6 degrees out, OF COURSE SCHOOL DOESN'T CANCEL FOR ME.

:joy: should be an interesting mini death march there.

thanks ed!
 edlib
01-22-2014, 9:10 AM
Snow day. Woot.

Gotta head out and shovel the walks soon. Bleh. It's freezing out there. I don't wanna!
 Keyan Farlander
01-22-2014, 9:56 AM
Did a lot of shoveling yesterday. I don't mind it, really.
 edlib
01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't mind the shoveling if it's in the 30's... or even the 20's...

This single digit temps stuff is brutal. That's the part that's gonna get to me today.
 K_Kinnison
01-22-2014, 11:07 AM
I don't like the piddly trace amounts that just put a coating of snow down.

and don't mind the cold, when you got indoor heating, wool blankets and a snuggling cat
 Wildstar
01-22-2014, 1:50 PM
Just to add to the "intel" on the FB group during the downtime, they may have also found a hack for 32-bit color ("high color") textures.
 Rogue15
01-22-2014, 1:58 PM
i got no snow...walking to class and back was a bit cold (2 miles 1 way) decided against the bus since it's a sunny day out. :) love all my classes so far! only take 1 tomorrow "applied ethics"
 megarock58
01-22-2014, 2:52 PM
The only thing worth keeping in the post RotJ EU is Zahn's Heir to the Empire Trilogy. Everything else is trash. g

I disagree, Dark Forces 2 was great too.
 Rogue15
01-22-2014, 3:43 PM
burnt roughly 800 calories walking today. not bad not bad at all!
 Kuuki
01-23-2014, 2:04 AM
feeling more and more rejected.

oh btw: Rogue for higher's neighbor's house got burnt down. 6 Survived, 3 died.

I know it's bleak. The hell I care. I cant even beat a bot match on star craft 2.
 Rogue15
01-23-2014, 9:38 AM
scar if u ever need to talk or text im on aim alot (got it on my phone)
 Keyan Farlander
01-23-2014, 10:01 AM
burnt roughly 800 calories walking today. not bad not bad at all!

Wouldn't that be like 15 miles of walking?
 Rogue15
01-23-2014, 10:47 AM
not according to my trusty pedometer app which takes my height, weight and stride into account.. 5'9" weighing in at a fat-ass 215 pounds lol...i walked 7 miles altogether
 Rogue15
01-23-2014, 7:06 PM
just got called a child-killer on facebook. :) i said i only kill the evil ones. hehe

got myself a month of match.com just checking this one out since pof.com expired (had more luck with the free version of that) after this one (assuming i get same results) im going to give eharmoney a shot.

who wants to date the guy with no job and no car? :joy:
 K_Kinnison
01-24-2014, 2:48 AM
I only had results from Eharmony. it is expensive, but at least you know the people on there are paying also and are more committed, then just using a "Meat market" like cupid, or match.com
 Rogue15
01-24-2014, 7:01 AM
yeah but thing on eharmoney, i asked them before i decided not to go with them at first, was if i could filter out the non subscribers, and there answer was no. gonna try out match then do a month wth them. you would think with how much it cost, that they'd have a filtration system for those that are serious about finding someone.
 K_Kinnison
01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
think of this. The only ones that can reply to you are subscribers.

don't focus on one, throw your net out and try to catch as many as possible. until you find the right one
 Rogue15
01-24-2014, 3:51 PM
un****ing the VA...didn't get my housing stipend for last semester, expecting a nice little lump-sum of backpay for that. enjoying life.

match.com seems to be bringing me decent results compared to pof. pof anybody can reply, and the fact i wasnt getting a good return says the girls on there won't reply, or maybe i'm just incompatible with all of em, or they just get inbox flooded with email and don't even see mine....but some did look at my profile, then read and delete w/o even replying. that happened quite often, even when our interests and stuff lined up. maybe if i threw a pic of a magic mike lookalike, i'd get some messages. heh.
 edlib
01-24-2014, 6:38 PM
Feeling depressed and blah today. A couple of long, difficult days at work. Nothing good happening in my life. Lots of dark cold days. Nowhere to go to and nobody to make plans with...

Think I'll just go home and read. Go to bed early. Try to sleep it off. Maybe tomorrow will look better when I've had enough rest. Who knows?
 Rogue15
01-24-2014, 9:07 PM
going to dave and busters in nyc on sunday, anybody else wanna meet up there? :joy:
 Rogue15
01-24-2014, 10:16 PM
heh match.com's a ripoff...$$$ to see if your email was read? cmon gtfo here...

i get better luck at a bar, and that's where im going. 2 miles. S.O. mo fo
 K_Kinnison
01-25-2014, 2:31 AM
Car died on the way out to get some beer. Battery wasn't charging, the cold really did a number on it. I certainly hope i get a differant working car.. dont need new. Took about 6 calls before my wife woke up and answered.

Went out to eat at a nice restaurant (one of 4 in LaCrosse)

Tomorrow getting my car towed to the shop to get it fixed. Also will be going to Pizza Doctors (http://www.pizzadoctors.net/) for my free Birthday pizza buffet.

Btw, if anyone ever visits me in LaCrosse I am taking you to Pizza Doctors. it is rather unique, we can drive by the largest six pack, and maybe stop in at Dave's Guitar shop
 Rogue15
01-25-2014, 3:55 PM
Happy Birthday K_K!!!

dont know how i got home last night...woke up in my futon with my boots still on hoodie covered in vomit, missing my balaclava :( last weekend of "drinking" moving on to PT stuff, watching more movies in the theatre, and bowling...all that cheaper than 1 night of drinking.
 edlib
01-25-2014, 4:27 PM
Happy Birthday, K.! :joy:

Feeling a wee bit less depressed and blah than yesterday... but still not exactly ecstatic to be alive. Slept really well last night, however, and that helped a lot.

I'm pretty sure I've been to that Mall in Columbia where the shooting took place today. Is that the same place we hung out when I was down there, Keyan? Or did I go to it a different time?
 Keyan Farlander
01-25-2014, 6:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I've been to that Mall in Columbia where the shooting took place today. Is that the same place we hung out when I was down there, Keyan? Or did I go to it a different time?

No, we went to the Longhorn Steakhouse on the other side of 29 from the mall. Unless we went there afterward for coffee or something.

But yeah, I met a friend for lunch there yesterday. We were exactly where the shooting took place. Bad stuff.

Happy birthday, K_K.
 edlib
01-25-2014, 9:11 PM
I think we did go there for coffee. If I'm remembering correctly... Or I wandered over there on some other day...

Either way, it's a sucky situation.
 megarock58
01-25-2014, 9:56 PM
Happy birthday K_Kinnison.
 Rogue15
01-25-2014, 11:51 PM
took my parents out to see Lone Survivor, my 2nd time seeing it. :)

Going to NYC tomorrow with my friends to celebrate my birthday. lol dave and busters sounds like alot of fun. trying to pick out clothes to wear, gonna have to choose the cargo pants and layers to wear since it's probably going to be cold, i love wearing hoodies but looks like i'll have to break out the leather jacket with hoodie insert.

It's very quiet here and kinda sad right now, my parents are watching my dog for me while I'm away...I miss him already!! :( hoping they don't spoil him too much.

excited about next drill, regardless of a possible pt test. still haven't heard **** back about my xrays on my ankles, and i was hobbling around in walmart today, pretty sure they'll be like "ok wear heel cup inserts!" or i'll be referred to surgery =\ maybe a better pair of shoes.
 edlib
01-26-2014, 5:08 AM
Didn't sleep last night. It's now 5am, and I'm finally giving up on trying.

That's what I get for getting a good night's sleep the night before. :rolleyes:

A lot of things on my mind, I guess... none of them very nice.
 Rogue15
01-26-2014, 7:23 AM
I got about 5 hours of sleep...my buddy hasn't contacted me yet about what time he's gonna be down to pick me up, i messaged him last night and he never got back to me! should be an interesting day. hope it's not too cold.
 K_Kinnison
01-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Took it easy in the morning, with a quick pass with the snowblower, before heading out to the Pizza buffet.

Then we and waited for the Tow truck to take my car. Thankfully the battery equalized enough and he was able to start it and we didn't have to push it to get it lined up with the tow truck.

My wife went and got me an apple pie, and I cooked some steaks on the grill, the meat had been marinating for two days and was wonderful. Spent most of the day wasting my time playing Kerbal Space program. Started working on my Mun and Minmus base, and the Stations.

For some reason my DVR is not recording space dandy :(
 Rogue15
01-26-2014, 8:31 PM
NYC was fun...dave and busters was a fun time...next time i go there i wanna go on a helicopter tour of the place, or at least to the ripley's believe it or not museum. :)

planning on going to virginia with my buddy next weekend. :D Hoping my classes go good this week and that the sidewalks aren't covered in ice..
 edlib
01-27-2014, 7:31 AM
A second night with almost no sleep. :( Now I'm ill. Sore throat, croaky voice, spinning head.

I'm going to have to call in sick today and go back to bed.
 Keyan Farlander
01-27-2014, 9:44 AM
A second night with almost no sleep. :( Now I'm ill. Sore throat, croaky voice, spinning head.

If it manages to spin all the way around, it's time to call a priest.
 Wildstar
01-27-2014, 10:18 AM
ed...hey, um, Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath won Grammys last night. Only took, what, 40 years? :dozey:
 edlib
01-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Hmmm... Yeah. The Grammy's are a bit of a joke, unless you are there or win one. Even then... It's hard to take them seriously.
 edlib
01-27-2014, 2:42 PM
If it manages to spin all the way around, it's time to call a priest.I do feel overdue for an exorcism, actually. I've been in a dark mood all week, and had some very bleak thoughts.

I'm sure this mental funk is what brought on the physical one.

I need to get outside in the fresh air and exercise. I need to figure out how to get something like a social life again. I'm feeling cooped up and isolated. It's been a brutal winter so far.
 edlib
01-28-2014, 7:26 AM
3rd night in a row of zero sleep. The last shut eye I've had is when I got out of bed on Saturday morning. And I haven't even napped since then either. 72+ hours of wide awake.

This is not good.
Page: 3 of 5