Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Holiday Main Course?

Page: 1 of 1
 mimartin
11-06-2012, 12:25 PM
So with Christmas, Thanksgiving and other holidays coming up, what is your favorite main course for the holidays?

Mine is fried shrimp, but we usually have Turkey.
 Mandalore5
11-06-2012, 12:29 PM
I usually have turkey, but I prefer lamb - turkey can often be a bit dry.
 Alexrd
11-06-2012, 1:04 PM
We usually have cod on Christmas Eve and turkey on Christmas, or vice versa.
 Pho3nix
11-06-2012, 2:39 PM
Lamb and ham! though I prefer the former over anything.
 Blix
11-06-2012, 5:36 PM
Turkey for Thanksgiving and Turkey & Ham for Christmas...never had goose or mutton, perhaps we should go oldschool one year :lol:
 Red Hessian
11-07-2012, 4:36 AM
Lamb is my favorite, although we usually have ham.
 Taak Farst
11-07-2012, 9:50 AM
Gammon anyone?

EDIT: Unless Gammon counts as ham..
 SmootheOperator
11-07-2012, 11:05 AM
My mother is Norwegian, so we have a cod, with mashed potatoes and butter on a "lefsa", a Scandinavian tortilla made of potatos. It is freaking heavenly. Just have to get fresh cod, and avoid the bones.
 Totenkopf
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Turkey is a given for Thanksgiving, but Christmas and New Years usually involve a nice piece of beef (roast beef/prime rib) or filet mignon.
 battle111
11-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Well my favorite holiday is chrismas well on Lithuania we selebrate Chrismas eve day we don't eat meat all day becoz on chrismas eve we need only to eat some ather things like fruits or salad but the main coure is grilled fish hehe and after that everyone needs to go to sleep :):):) becoz the ather dat is chrismas day.
 M@RS
11-07-2012, 9:20 PM
Turkey/Ham for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. We can whip up a pretty awesome turkey. But we don't have an oven here in Thailand. D: So we must hit up the local "American" restaurant.
 purifier
11-09-2012, 9:57 AM
Roasted turkey, like it's going out of style. Both holidays of course.
 Mandalore5
11-10-2012, 9:27 AM
My mother is Norwegian, so we have a cod, with mashed potatoes and butter on a "lefsa", a Scandinavian tortilla made of potatos. It is freaking heavenly. Just have to get fresh cod, and avoid the bones.

That sounds fantastic.
 JasraLantill
11-14-2012, 9:59 AM

Come to my house--my turkey is never dry! I cook it upside down (so turkey breast on the bottom), until the last 30 mins. Flipping it over is sometimes kind of tricky, but my guests are always amazed at how moist the white meat is.

We have turkey for both Thanksgiving and Christmas, but as I'm a Yankee abroad, Thanksgiving is still a bit of a curiousity/novelty for my in-laws. My hubby has dubbed it 'PCD' (Practice Christmas Dinner), but no matter how 'foreign' T-day might be to them, my in-laws still show up. I'm cooking for 14 this year. :)
 mimartin
11-14-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm not really a Thanksgiving person. Texas Longhorns usually play that day, so I spend Thanksgiving outside at a tailgate party, so the main course is usually beer. They try to do a fairly traditional Thanksgiving meal, but I would rather have burgers, hot dogs or faijitas for my tailgate. Desert is more beer. Use to split my Thanksgivings between Austin (games) and Mississippi (dad's), but since my dad passed I split my Thanksgivings between tailgates and pizza.
 Jae Onasi
11-25-2012, 1:25 AM

Too many people overcook it. A good meat thermometer will tell you when it's done. For the turkey breast, we soak some cheesecloth in butter, lay that on top of the turkey breast part, baste the whole turkey frequently, and then remove the cheesecloth about a half hour before the turkey is done. That way, it browns evenly, too. Yummy!

Well my favorite holiday is chrismas well on Lithuania we selebrate Chrismas eve day we don't eat meat all day becoz on chrismas eve we need only to eat some ather things like fruits or salad but the main coure is grilled fish hehe and after that everyone needs to go to sleep :):):) becoz the ather dat is chrismas day.
My dad's family came from Vilnius. :) I'd love to hear more about Lithuanian traditions at Christmas. :)
 LDR
12-24-2012, 9:17 AM
So. Many. Choices.

I'll probably go with Lamb and Beef. My mother's side of the family is Lebanese (hence the lamb) and my dad's is German (hence the beef). Turkey is just overused, and it's often too dry for my liking, except when my grandmother cooks it when we go to Vermont for Thanksgiving.
 Lynk Former
12-24-2012, 4:59 PM
See mim :carms: Lamb is a very important choice that you didn't even bother putting in the poll. For shame for being so culturally insensitive :p
Page: 1 of 1