Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Best superhero movie(s) of all time?

Page: 1 of 1
 mimartin
05-27-2012, 2:27 PM
Best superhero movie(s) of all time?

- Superman (Richard Donner films)
- Superman (Bryan Singer)
- Batman (Tim Burton films)
- Batman (Christopher Nolan films)
- Spider-Man (Sam Raimi films)
- Iron Man (Jon Favreau films)
- X-Men (Bryan Singer films)
- X-Men: First Class
- Watchmen
- Thor (2011)
- Captain America (2011)
- The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Poll question is courtesy of Negative Sun.

Vote is public and you can vote for more than one.
 Miltiades
05-27-2012, 3:07 PM
Where's Avengers? It definitely deserves a place between those. It'd put it 2nd, just below Nolan's Batman movies. Batman Begins was a highly enjoyable movie, but TDR puts the Nolan Trilogy in a whole other league (let's hope TDKR doesn't screw up, but a lot would need to happen for Nolan to screw up).
 Pho3nix
05-27-2012, 3:21 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Batman Returns, such an underrated flick. Though I did enjoy many others on that list too.
 Astor
05-27-2012, 3:35 PM
I love most of those films, but Superman II, specifically, gets my vote.

Kneel before Zod!
 Alexrd
05-27-2012, 4:36 PM
Watchmen. As a fan of the graphic novel, I was pleased with how it turned out.
 Negative Sun
05-27-2012, 6:44 PM
lol I forgot the Avengers!

It's probably still Superman/Superman II for me though. Epic stuff!
 Titanius Anglesmith
05-27-2012, 6:50 PM
I like about half the movies on that list, but the one/s that really stands out to me is the Nolan Batman series. I don't really understand why people try to argue whether or not The Dark Knight Rises will be "better" than the Avengers. They may both be comic-book based, but they're completely different kinds of films. The Avengers was amazing for what it was trying to be, and I don't doubt that TDKR will be amazing for it is trying to be.
 Giant Graffiti
05-28-2012, 8:55 AM
Batman (Adam West). :carms:
 Red Hessian
05-28-2012, 4:01 PM
Tie between The Dark Knight and Tim Burton's Batman from '89.
 ChAiNz.2da
05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
If your answer isn't Spider-Man.. you're a heathen :carms: :xp:
 mimartin
05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Spider-Man may have gotten my vote, but I assumed Spider-Man 3 was also included in that group...:xp:

Like Spider-Man, love the series until Spider-Man 3, so it cost the series my vote... Really like the Christopher Nolan's Batman, but Watchmen and Iron Man got my vote.

Just have never liked Superman, hard to make a invincible character interesting to me.
 Dread Advocate
05-29-2012, 1:56 PM
Spider-Man may have gotten my vote, but I assumed Spider-Man 3 was also included in that group...:xp:

Like Spider-Man, love the series until Spider-Man 3, so it cost the series my vote... Really like the Christopher Nolan's Batman, but Watchmen and Iron Man got my vote.

Just have never liked Superman, hard to make a invincible character interesting to me.

Especially when said invincible character can die.

Batman Nolan-verse for me.
 JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
05-30-2012, 7:08 AM
Nolan's Batman, followed by Spiderman.

The X-Men movies were probably the worst superhero movies I've seen.

Come to think of it, probably some of the worst movies I've seen full stop. (Though for some reason, I enjoyed Origins: Wolverine)
The only reason I'd see First Class is to see Jennifer Lawrence's (main actress from The Hunger Games) performance as Mystique, which I've heard is good.

I also enjoyed Iron Man, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk.
 Alexrd
05-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I have to say though, I've enjoyed Green Lantern more than most of Marvel's flicks.
 Negative Sun
05-30-2012, 6:33 PM
I have to say though, I've enjoyed Green Lantern more than most of Marvel's flicks. Just kidding
Fixed :thmbup1:
 Alexrd
05-30-2012, 6:56 PM
It's true. Either I find those Marvel movies not that good, or Green Lantern was not as bad as people make it out to be. Heck, Green Lantern was more interesting than The Avengers.

There, I said it. :p
 Rogue Nine
05-31-2012, 11:58 AM

Tobey Maguire was okay in the first one, but his acting and the movies as a whole just took a nosedive after that.

And everyone knows that the best superhero movie of all time is Tim Burton's seminal classic "Batman & Robin".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRH-Ywpz1_I)
 Alexrd
05-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Tim Burton's

You wish.
 Pho3nix
05-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Tim Burton's
wat?
 ChAiNz.2da
05-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Tobey Maguire was okay in the first one, but his acting and the movies as a whole just took a nosedive after that.

True enough.. I've pretty much blanked #3 completely. Pretty sure it was just a bad nightmare and never happened. right? :ohdear:

Wish they had modeled the movies from this (which I actually have on VHS, SM fanboi that I am) :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErhFqQOEUDE)
 Gurges-Ahter
05-31-2012, 4:25 PM
I know this borders on sacrilege, but I'm not a huge fan of TDK. It's good, but not great, IMO. From this list I chose the Iron Man series. I like a lot of the options, but Robert Downey Jr was a very believable Tony Stark for me.
 Negative Sun
05-31-2012, 5:54 PM
It's true. Either I find those Marvel movies not that good, or Green Lantern was not as bad as people make it out to be. Heck, Green Lantern was more interesting than The Avengers.

No seriously i'm just kidding!
Fixed again. :thmbup1:

Good thing I can read between the lines!
 Alexrd
05-31-2012, 7:50 PM
You must accept the truth. Don't live in denial. ;)
 Q
06-02-2012, 3:24 AM
Watchmen. As a fan of the graphic novel, I was pleased with how it turned out.
I have to agree. Watchmen is probably the best superhero flick I've ever seen.
 Scorge
06-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Spiderman has to be my favorite.
 Qui-Don Jorn
06-03-2012, 3:36 PM
Nolan's Dark Knight movies...hands down.

Though the Iron Man and the Avengers movies were very good too....and I am a huge fan of the Watchmen, too.
 90SK
06-04-2012, 4:14 PM
Christopher Nolan's Batman movies, followed by Bryan Singer's X-Men. Really liked X-Men 2 especially though I do not count X-Men 3. Didn't like that one nearly as much as the first two, and since it's a different director I'll exclude it completely. But definitely Batman Begins and TDK win, soooo good!
 Bob Lion54
06-15-2012, 4:35 PM
I need to pay closer attention to the polls. I'm a bit late, but whatever...

I voted Tim Burton's Batmen...Batmans...Bat...baseball...

I like the character development of Bruce Wayne in the new films, but Tim Burton just made Batman look so awesome. Plus, the Batmobile was ten times better looking in the Burton movies. The new Batmobile, while cool, isn't as iconic. It could be in the GI Joe movies and fit perfectly, but Burton's Batmobile is THE Batmobile. There's no mistaking it for Butch's new joyrider. I think that's true of many things in the new movies, they just don't scream "Batman" quite as much, though I think that's somewhat the point to make it a bit more "real" or whatever.

I also voted for the Donner Superman movies. Christopher Reeve is Superman and, just as important, Margot Kidder set the bar for Lois Lane way over the top of the bar jumping...thingy. It's a shame that movies three and four took such sharp nosedives, but the first two are great movies.

The last movie I voted for is Watchmen. The only modern movie to get my vote. I think like a lot of people, I saw the trailers and thought "so, it's a parody?" Nope. Though the heroes are based on other characters but, it's not about them. It's about the people under the masks and is the most realistic super hero movie ever made from a purely humanistic standpoint. I think it does a great job of looking at what kind of person would be a super hero and how the public would react to them. Oh, and of course there's Rorschach who makes Wolverine look like the poster boy for the Boy Scouts.

So there are my (late to the party) votes and reasons. I like most comic movies, but few are much better than popcorn movies. The ones I voted for, I feel, really stand the test of time and have that quality that makes them stick with you long after the credits roll.
 Alexrd
06-15-2012, 5:35 PM
By the way, for those interested, there will be a Man of Steel teaser attached to The Dark Knight Rises.

I have to say, I'm very curious about Snyder's take on Superman.
 Sabretooth
06-16-2012, 2:08 AM
I have to say, I'm very curious about Snyder's take on Superman.

It's a bird! It's a plane! IT. IS. SPARTA.
 Blix
06-30-2012, 9:51 PM
No "other" option??
 Suaidan
08-04-2012, 10:20 AM
 .:Lord Revan:.
08-04-2012, 11:42 AM
How could Batman win iron man could take him out any day. :D
 Suaidan
08-04-2012, 4:11 PM
How could Batman win iron man could take him out any day. :D

I am not really a huge super hero fan anyways. I think they are generally the worst and corniest movies.

Out b4 Comic book junkies show up on my doorstep in nothing but their "man of steel" tighty whities and jump me.
 Bob Saget
08-10-2012, 6:48 PM
May have to write a wall-of-text here. Bear with me.

Superheroes have always been the prime-time of entertainment, some are greatly written and others you just see for the sake of it or to see an awesome bad-ass beat up thugs and other stuff. However, in this conversation, this isn't about who is stronger more of which storyline is stronger, which character do you think is most well developed.

I have just seen TDKR, and I have to say I was pretty damn amazed. While nobody can replace the great acting of Heath Ledger as the joker, TDKR was a better all around performance (have to mention Aurora here, my condolences to those affected). With Nolan's trilogy of Batman completed, I have to say that it is perhaps the best written Superhero trilogy I have seen yet.

And while it may have not come first, Avengers made a very close second. I was skeptical at first since movies similar to this are usually not good, but I have to say I was very surprised at how well it was done. Definitely looking forward to more production from them in this department. At 3rd, I put in Tony Stark's acting as Iron Man. He is just absolutely perfect at that role and while it does have its flaws (and every series has its flaws, believe me), I think it was done well as well.

If it wasn't for Spiderman 3, I would have made the Spiderman Series in the top 5, but I am interested in the new Spiderman stuff coming out, as I believe that the new movie was well executed.
 GeneralPloKoon
08-12-2012, 5:08 PM
As a massive Superhero and comic book fan. Its really difficult to choose between many of these. X2 and Spider-Man 2 has always been some of my favorites due to Spidey being my favorite superhero and X-Men being my favorite superhero team. I always love Burton's Batman, especially Batman Returns. Christopher Nolan is overrated, he did a good job but I definitely prefer the style of Marvel films. I really enjoyed The Avengers and think Thor is pretty underrated. DC does best in the animation department.

I'm surprised there is no Hellboy or Hellboy II! Those are some of the best IMO.
 Alexrd
08-13-2012, 4:13 AM
Christopher Nolan is overrated, (...) I definitely prefer the style of Marvel films.

I respectfully disagree.
 GeneralPloKoon
08-15-2012, 3:59 AM
I respectfully disagree.

Not to say I don't like Nolan's Batman, they are great movies and stories. But I just prefer a more traditional Batman story with less of a super realistic setting.
 Hassat Hunter
08-15-2012, 6:50 PM
I'm not much of a super-hero movie fan... most of them are really really bad (x-men comes to mind). Pretty much all of the list I have seen (which, truthfully, is not all) I only like the Batman movies.

Batman Begins best of all (sue me)...
 Blix
08-15-2012, 7:56 PM
I respectfully disagree.

As a massive Superhero and comic book fan. Its really difficult to choose between many of these. X2 and Spider-Man 2 has always been some of my favorites due to Spidey being my favorite superhero and X-Men being my favorite superhero team. I always love Burton's Batman, especially Batman Returns. Christopher Nolan is overrated, he did a good job but I definitely prefer the style of Marvel films. I really enjoyed The Avengers and think Thor is pretty underrated. DC does best in the animation department.

I'm surprised there is no Hellboy or Hellboy II! Those are some of the best IMO.

Nolan's films are alright. The problem (imho) therein with them is that he placed too much importance on realism, thus omitting certain characters from his particular Batman lineup (e.g. Mr. Freeze, Killer Croc, Man Bat, etc) having only 'realistic' villains/characters means that IF you're going to use someone or something out of the ordinary like for example an ice-powered man, you're going to have to explain it to the audience in a way that it convinces them that it fits within the realm of this 'realistic' world without breaking the aforementioned template (a scientist inventing a freeze ray still sounds way too science fiction/out of the ordinary for a Nolan Batman film).

And I agree about Hell Boy, there should have been an "Other" option if not for Hellboy II.
 ShinDangaioh
08-29-2012, 5:01 PM
I chose the Donner Superman, even though I know there are some missing movies in the mix.

Incredibles
Mega Mind
Sky High
Zorro

I have no idea if there was a Lone Ranger movie, or if he was only a serial character.
 .:Lord Revan:.
09-07-2012, 12:10 PM
Avengers wiped the Nolan batmans off the board.
 duster
09-16-2012, 1:28 PM
Most definetly Tim Burton's Batman.Jack Nickolson got me laughed all the time!:D
Page: 1 of 1