Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

GL says Han NEVER shot first

Page: 1 of 1
 ChAiNz.2da
02-10-2012, 2:07 PM
George Lucas Now Says That Han NEVER Shot First As He Shoves Star Wars 3D Down Your Throat

The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn't....

Source (http://gizmodo.com/5884061/george-lucas-now-says-that-han-never-shot-first-as-he-shoves-star-wars-3d-down-your-throat)

AV Club Source (a little more substance) (http://www.avclub.com/articles/george-lucas-says-han-never-shot-first-you-were-ju,69159/)

Original Hollywood Reporter 5 questions (with even more GL BS, CGI Yoda anyone?) (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-star-wars-interview-288523)

I'm calling BS. ;)
 Alexrd
02-10-2012, 2:25 PM
I'll disagree with him.
 Mav
02-10-2012, 2:37 PM
You can't really count anything that comes out of GL's mouth as GL's real thoughts, not when the goiter has manifested itself with roots digging into his brain and controlling his every thought and action.
 mimartin
02-10-2012, 2:46 PM
 ChAiNz.2da
02-10-2012, 4:10 PM
Added some more source links in the OP.

If you look at Blade Runner, it’s been cut sixteen ways from Sunday and there are all kinds of different versions of it. Star Wars, there’s basically one version — it just keeps getting improved a little bit as we move forward....

Again. I'm calling BS. ;)
 deathdisco
02-10-2012, 4:18 PM
Han shooting first is an act of self defense. When someone points a gun in your face all is fair game. :carms:
 Alexrd
02-10-2012, 5:22 PM

Not if he considers it a work in progress. As special editions, there is still some work to do.
 Q
02-10-2012, 5:51 PM
Lucas is such a liar. I swear; it's getting harder and harder not to hate this guy, though I'm beginning to think that that's exactly what he wants.

In other news, GL is retiring (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1). That's right; no more Star Wars movies -AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! (cue whining about criticism and fan edits) :crybaby:

Never mind that he's been saying that there will be no sequel trilogy all along, but hey; it might get more people to rush out and see TPM (The Polished Manure) in 3-D. Also, if you don't go see Red Tails, you're a racist.

George Lucas: World's Greatest Troll. :dozey:
 LordOfTheFish
02-10-2012, 6:18 PM
George Lucas: World's Greatest Troll. :dozey:

QFT
 Alexrd
02-10-2012, 6:50 PM
Never mind that he's been saying that there will be no sequel trilogy all along,

No sequel trilogy ≠ no more movies
 Totenkopf
02-10-2012, 8:40 PM
Well, if Greedo shot first, then it's just more proof that Lucas' directing sucks. ;) Han shot first, and that's what made him such a SW badass. Aging revisionist..... :rolleyes:
 Astor
02-11-2012, 5:23 AM
I honestly don't see what the problem is. Greedo still dies either way.
 Alexrd
02-11-2012, 5:34 AM

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem if the change didn't seem so fake and forced.
 Q
02-11-2012, 1:28 PM
No sequel trilogy ≠ no more movies
Which is why I said Star Wars movies.

Whatever Lucas makes will likely suck, regardless. He's become the cinematic kiss of death.
The original scene showed a ruthless, "shoot first and ask questions later" side of Han's character. That one little change undermines him considerably, which is why people are so ticked off by it.

It was a stupid decision and Lucas is just too pompous to admit it, so he continues to tinker with it instead of changing it back.
 Alexrd
02-11-2012, 3:30 PM
Which is why I said Star Wars movies.

Then what's the point for you to mention the sequels?

Whatever Lucas makes will likely suck, regardless. He's become the cinematic kiss of death.

That's a matter of opinion.
 Darth InSidious
02-11-2012, 3:57 PM
Lucas: living proof of the "death of the author".
 Q
02-11-2012, 6:03 PM
Then what's the point for you to mention the sequels?
What other Star Wars films would he likely make?
That's a matter of opinion.
You're right; it is. http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/qliveur/emo-emot-smug.gif)

Really, though, my only gripe with GL now is his steadfast refusal to release a Blu-Ray edition of the unaltered OT on one hand, and whining about fans editing his films on the other. He can't seem to grasp that if he acquiesced to the former, fans would have that much less incentive to do the latter. Instead, he insists on being obstinate and childish about the matter.

As far as I'm concerned, he can continue to make his soulless schlock if he wants to, and I'll, quite simply, continue to ignore it, like I should've done, but failed to do, with the PT. I haven't seen Indy 4 and I most likely never will. It's the historical revisionism that ticks me off.
 Darth Avlectus
02-11-2012, 7:02 PM
I seem to have predicted, err speculated, some time ago that TOR would probably be his last go with SW before retiring.

So Han shot first when it was cool, but now it's all bout progress towards more sensible, more politically correct, role modeling.

Gotta get with the times. :D

:dozey:
 Alexrd
02-11-2012, 8:21 PM
What other Star Wars films would he likely make?

Spin-offs, anything else... The "episodes" are part of the Skywalker story. There is no story beyond that. But Star Wars has a big galaxy, full of other tales.

He can't seem to grasp that if he acquiesced to the former, fans would have that much less incentive to do the latter.

If that was true there would only be restorations, and not fan edits. Besides, if he was really affected by fan edits, he would have forbidden them long ago.
 RoxStar
02-12-2012, 4:00 AM
pictures etc.

I think a part of growing up is realizing that when George Lucas doesn't necessarily get his way all of the time (Original Trilogy), his movies are incredible. When he does get his way (Prequels), they suck.

So, essentially, the worst thing about Star Wars is George Lucas.
 Lynk Former
02-12-2012, 5:04 AM
Didn't bother to read any of the posts... (:p) but the scene with Greedo is like a Western. You either shoot first or you're a dead man and that was that. Han knew what Greedo was capable of so to save his own life he did the only thing he could do... shot him first.
 Samnmax221
02-12-2012, 1:16 PM
Blade Runner has a number of cuts, however Ridley Scott doesn't try to keep people from seeing the admittedly poor theatrical cut. George on the other hand acts like a stupid little child, and only wants people seeing whatever cut he happens to have cobbled together at the moment. Also like a child he insists that the films are "MINE MINE MINE!!", and that he can do whatever he wants with them. Discounting the fact that film making is a collaborative process, and effectively standing on the shoulders of many talented people. He's become a moron who doesn't understand the charm of his own films, and insists on continually diluting them with pointless bull****.
 purifier
02-13-2012, 4:23 PM
Okay...the only way we're gonna to settle this, is by asking Princess Leia whether or not he shoots first. :raise:
 Q
02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
OK, I lol'd.
 Shem
02-18-2012, 2:12 AM
I got over this issue soon after I saw the change originally 15 years ago. And I see Lucas' point-of-view in that he doesn't want Solo to kill in cold blood, but in self defense.
 The_Catto
02-20-2012, 11:32 PM
I thought having Han shoot first was a major point in his character development. Being the awesome badass that he is, and always will be, Han shoots first because he know's he'll die if he doesn't. That and he likes the smell of charred Rodian flesh.... Anyway...

Forward through the events after he meets up with Luke and Obi-Wan, Han discovers a side to himself he never knew existed, or, probably better described as a side that he pushed down because he felt that too much empathy was not a good sentiment for a Smuggler.

But he comes back just as Luke needs him. The change in his character from the self-serving, kill or be killed awesome badass from the start of the movie, to the reluctant, yet caring and willing to put his life at risk for others, awesome baddass that he turns into at the end.

Its not that we WANT him to shoot first, its that Han NEEDS to shoot first. It's of the utmost importance to the story!

Or this could just be a bunch of rambling BS due to three hours sleep, an 8 hour shift and five cups of coffee... Either way, Han shot first. End.
 Darth Avlectus
06-13-2012, 2:31 AM
^^^:golfclap: Good man. I like your style.

Besides, a smuggler finds himself on the worng side of the law occasionally. This goody-goody stuff for all characters is a complete load of ****. It wasn't PG-13 in the original release anyway. So what's the problem exactly?

Not good for young people? PG stood for parental guidance I thought. 'Course we don't see much of THAT anymore.:disaprove
Young people need to realize it isn't necessarily about glamorizing violence, but rather necessity. Sometimes the heroes aren't all fine and dandy. Are contrast and discretion really so hard to find?
Page: 1 of 1