Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Need help on getting Wotor to work! Please? :)

Page: 1 of 1
 Rindy
09-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Help me, dear Forumites, you're my only hope...
I'm playing with the German version of Kotor and i tried installing Weapons of the Old Republic. When I launch my savegame, the weapons are unchanged. I can cheat some of them in, (e.g. Ordo's Blaster) but others aren't even added when I try to add them via console (most notably, Carth's blaster).

I've also tried renaming some of the files from the mod, e.g.: w_HvRptBltr_201.mdx --> w_HvRptBltr_001.mdx and I saw that the model was added, although untextured. Is it possible, that the models don't get overwritten because they use such strange numbers??

I'm not running any other mods beside that. Has someone ever encountered the same problem? I'd really like to play with this mod, hope you can help me!

Thank you all
 Dak Drexl
09-09-2011, 5:35 PM
If you read the readme:

*This mod is intended to be played with a new game, playing it with a current save game may make you miss several cool weapons*
 Qui-Gon Glenn
09-09-2011, 7:09 PM
If you read the readme:

Sadly, that mod does not work well with other mods, AT ALL.... It takes some serious modding to make the mod play nicely with others, and still there are some glitches.

It is still a remarkable piece of modding, but not the easiest to work with, integration wise. Similar to the incredible Final Touch in that respect.... if you want to play with either of those types of mods, you need to dedicate a clean override for mod installation, and play the game with that mod only, or with other mods that you know use the patcher, and use it properly....
 Rindy
09-10-2011, 9:16 AM
Thank you for your fast replies.
Well, I kinda thought that I'd only miss the weapons from Taris (e.g. Selvens blaster) but that the weapons of my party members would get changed to the new models!
Has anybody got a tip on how I could intergrate some of the weapons into my current game? I've tried adding Bendaks and Carth blasters (which I already own) through console and through KSE, but both files seem to be corrupted? Carth's blaster has no description and no name, but the correct model and icon. Bendaks blaster on the other hand lacks even those.. anybody got an idea?
 Rindy
09-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Please throw me a bone here, guys :(
I just cannot get some items to work in the game. Especially Bendaks pistol isn't anything more than a white icon. Has anybody got an idea on how i could add those fantastic models to my current savegame?? (I'm on Dantooine and I've played 14hrs, it would suck to redo Taris again)
Thank you all very much!!
 Dak Drexl
09-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Just for future reference, don't get impatient if someone doesn't answer your thread right away. Bumps are frowned upon here, anyway.

What you could do is just take the items straight out of the wotor files, change them a bit, and add them to your inventory. However this requires some modding skill.

You need to find the files for each weapon (.uti, .mdl, .mdx are the files you need to change. There will be a .tga and maybe a .txi too, but no need to fiddle with those). Open the .uti in kotor tool and change the fields "model variation", "tag", and "resref" to something new. Change the name of the file to match the tag and resref. Then change the numbers in the .mdl and .mdx to match the numbers you put in the "model variation" column. Whoosh... a new item! Cheat it into your inventory.

I won't go into much detail because there are a few good .uti tuts in the tutorials section, so check them out! Good luck :)

EDIT: Actually I guess you might not have to go through all that renaming crap. If you just find the files I mentioned in the .zip file for the mod, you should be set to just add those yourself. Could be wrong though... only do the above as a last resort!
 Rindy
09-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bump my own thread. But I thought it would look silly to edit my own post after a day :)
Well, I tried editing the uti files with Kotor Tool's GFF Editor but mostly to no avail. But I've resolved one of my problems on my own... It's pretty logical that Bendak Starkiller's pistol doesn't function properly: It wasn't altered at all in this mod -.- But I thought that it was included because of the included file g_w_blstrpstl005.uti which is the ID of Bendaks blaster... But it isn't stated anywhere that his blaster got changed aswell, so I figure it was my fault... ARGH!

Dak, thank you very much for your reply! Do you have a solution at hand on how I could change the description of the new items to german? I figure it must be under the Description tab. But not even the english description is visible ingame.. Is there another value I must change? As i said before, some added items do have an icon but no name and no description
 Qui-Gon Glenn
09-11-2011, 1:49 PM
You are missing the point of what is happening here, Rindy.

Your game is hopelessly confused by your *not* having started a new play-through with the installation of this mod. KotOR games have a "memory", in that modules that have been loaded and had some variables changed stay in exactly that state, and no mod installation can change that once it is done. What happens as a result is that your appearance.2da file is getting confused all the time, because the mod expect's Bendak's Blaster to be g_w_blstrpstl005.uti but that designation was already loaded in to the game in your earlier, pre-WotOR installation playthrough for the original item. Nothing is going to work right. You can spend hours and hours and hours seeking out the problems and trying to do tedious fixes for each and every one of them.... or you could spend an hour and a half and just replay Taris. :giveup:

Long story short waaaaaaaaay too late: If you want to enjoy WotOR in it's best possible light, start a brand-new playthrough. I would go further and archive my override, put a new empty one in my swkotor folder, and either re-install KotOR or re-install the mod.

PS: You are only "bumping" your own thread when you make multiple posts back to back that carry no new information or are simply a repeating restatement of the original post in the string. You are perfectly allowed to make a new post to respond to another's post in your thread.
 Rindy
09-11-2011, 2:07 PM
Just a quick question: Does that mean i cannot use the mod _at all_ with my current savegame? As stated, I'm on Dantooine. Will I see the new models from here on (e.g. Juhani's sword) or is my "appearance.2da" file so effed-up that it won't load ANY models from now on?
I ask because I've managed to add Zaalbar's bowcaster now with the correct german description and gotten it to work properly.*

I'm actually really proud of myself that I've come this far :D
But I've thought about getting an English version of Kotor and replaying it. It's just.... I've spent nearly 12 hrs on Taris -.-

*For whom it may concern: I've changed the DescIdentified and LocalizedName string of the g_w_bowcastr003.uti in K-GFF-Editor. WotoR's files had a string value of -1, the original unaltered .uti had string of 41795 and 41796 respectively. It now shows the correct german description of the item.

EDIT: According to filefront (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Weapons_of_the_Old_Republic;74001) there are two patches for WotoR. Are they necessary or are they already included in WotoR 1.1 (the version I've downloaded)??
 Qui-Gon Glenn
09-11-2011, 3:07 PM
The reason the value of the string was -1 was because there was a localized description entered in that same area, in the text box. The -1 allows you to use the local description rather than going through the description provided by the .tlk.

That you are learning to get around is an accomplishment :D I am just saying that yes, it will be a problem throughout your playthrough, and you will have to do these steps repeatedly, and some may be more difficult to work out.

You seem to be taking this as an opportunity to learn how to mod. If that is the case, you have given yourself a challenging assignment that can teach you a great deal!
 Rindy
09-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your help, Qui-Gon Glenn!
I've decided to get an English version of Kotor to play it through with WotoR. But at the same time, I think I'll keep my current savegame to experiment a bit :)
Page: 1 of 1