Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Community project: Mod hosting website - proposal

Page: 1 of 1
 JebusJM
05-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Hey all,

Now let me start off by saying that I find kotorfiles to be slightly... buggy. It's only showing me releases from very early 2011, polls are bugged and picture of the day is non-existent (on any of the Files). I have gotten other peoples opinions and they thought it best if the entire community gets a say.

This site will launch only if the community was it so. It will be a site just like kotorfiles, submit your mod and have it hosted. But there will be a few major changes, such as:

The community gets to review the mods themselves.
A video of the mod will be placed on the file description (to show what it will look like ingame).
The author will have complete control over the mods page. So if he/she wants to change a few details, ect, they will have access to do it.
No mods will be taken from anywhere and posted unless the original author does it themselves.

I just wanted to get the communities opinions and see if this has a chance at launching and being successful.

Thanks!

Note: None of the above was meant to offend anyone that works at kotorfiles, I appreciate everything they have done for the community.
 Slstoev
05-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Not to say anything wouldn't that be like almost the Nexus sites. They just created a Witcher domain.
 JoFlashStudios
05-26-2011, 1:32 PM
Who is going to host it? What about a content management system? KotOR Files may have issues, but at least it's not straight FTP. For this to be successful you would need to have a good system - do you have any plans / ideas for that?
 Dak Drexl
05-26-2011, 1:45 PM
Kotor files has been really great in the past, but over recent months (I think it's been 2 or 3) the server has been down which has caused big problems for everyone. Right now even the staff can't access the site. This is why the "newest" mods up there are a couple months old.

As JoFlash mentioned, this wouldn't be free - someone would have to host it. I think all will be well and good again once kotor files is back up (as well as all the other filefront sites such as JKAFiles etc.)

Meanwhile I've moved my biggest mod and also my new mods to be also hosted at Deadlystream (http://deadlystream.com/) which is a growing community.
 storm-rider
05-26-2011, 1:46 PM
Sounds like a good idea, however, how are you going to upload and download files? Megaupload?
 newbiemodder
05-26-2011, 1:51 PM
Deadlystream which is a growing community.

Second that.
 JoFlashStudios
05-26-2011, 2:00 PM
Sounds like a good idea, however, how are you going to upload and download files? Megaupload?

That really depends on the setup. Using a pre-existing serverside software system would probably cover that. Creating a system from scratch that can upload, download, and display all the info/pictures/video for mods isn't as complex as you might think. It could all be done using ASP.net by someone knowledgeable in that field. ;)

Provided that there aren't serious server issues, a skeletal system might be created with as little as one hundred hours of work. However, frankly, I'm not going to put in even that amount of time on something, especially if we don't even know that KotOR Files is permanently down.

The only way I can see this working is if we get several experienced developers who are willing to help, and somehow find free hosting. Not likely.

The short of it - possible, time consuming, not necessary (yet), and therefore unlikely. Use Deadlystream.
 Darth InSidious
05-26-2011, 2:18 PM
Kotor files has been really great in the past, but over recent months (I think it's been 2 or 3) the server has been down which has caused big problems for everyone.

Just to clarify... the server isn't down. You can still download files from KF. But the picture server is down, and there are problems on a lot of the Filefront network - not just KotORFiles - with logging into the back-end and with pictures. Add to this that files uploaded won't always appear on the front page - and links to them sometimes won't work - and yeah, the site is effectively dead at present.

As I said, this is a problem affecting large chunks of the Filefront network. The problem has been passed to Filefront's owners' tech team, but we've heard nothing yet. That's pretty much everything I know right now. Believe me, I understand how frustrating this is. If and when we have any info, or things clear up, we'll let you know. But until then... :(

The only thing I will say is that if there is a new file-site for the community, it needs to be possible to police what gets uploaded and remove files which either plagiarise or port material from other games.
 TimBob12
05-26-2011, 3:55 PM
I was going to say why not just use deadly stream

Not enough people use it anyway.
 ChAiNz.2da
05-26-2011, 4:05 PM
I was going to say why not just use deadly stream

Not enough people use it anyway.
I joined today :^:

Granted I use my own site for hosting my mods.. but every additional site helps spread the word ;) hehe
 Dak Drexl
05-26-2011, 4:26 PM
The only downside with deadly stream is that you have to join in order to be able to access the downloads and not everyone is willing to do that.
 harark1
05-26-2011, 6:02 PM
I'll support it. Haven't really released anything but hey, I have it host my first stuff.
 JebusJM
05-26-2011, 7:09 PM
Should have been more clear. I'd be hosting (pay the bills yadda yadda) and mainting the site myself. Don't worry, I've actually ran/designed a fair few websites. There will be community appointed mods that will "police" the mods being uploaded incase of plagerism. The entire purpose of this thread is to see if people want another mod host or if they want to stick to Deadly Stream (which I didn't know about) or something else. Thanks for all the replies.
 VarsityPuppet
05-26-2011, 7:55 PM
The only downside with deadly stream is that you have to join in order to be able to access the downloads and not everyone is willing to do that.

Joining wasn't required for a short amount of time. Unfortunately, spammers kept reporting files that are perfectly fine, and other miscellaneous tomfoolery, so Doc changed it back.

The file hosting is pretty decent, and there hasn't been an issue with porting at all really. We have the file download section, and something akin to the Taris City Upper Emporium here. The only downside is that we don't have a review system intact yet.

But all in all, it's a great community, my recent mods are only available there because submitting is easy, and the staff is present (no offense, Kfiles :P)
 Dak Drexl
05-26-2011, 9:08 PM
Joining wasn't required for a short amount of time. Unfortunately, spammers kept reporting files that are perfectly fine, and other miscellaneous tomfoolery, so Doc changed it back.

The file hosting is pretty decent, and there hasn't been an issue with porting at all really. We have the file download section, and something akin to the Taris City Upper Emporium here. The only downside is that we don't have a review system intact yet.

But all in all, it's a great community, my recent mods are only available there because submitting is easy, and the staff is present (no offense, Kfiles :P)

Not to mention I love the fact that a release thread is automatically made for your newly uploaded mod :thmbup1:
 bendarby24
05-27-2011, 2:55 PM
yep it is a really good site it got me in to moding and help out with mod projects !
 Stream
05-27-2011, 6:08 PM
The downloads section is opened up to guests again now and the reviews are being worked on and will hopefully be up and running soon.
 Dak Drexl
05-27-2011, 6:14 PM
Maybe it would make sense if downloads were open to all but one would need to log in to upload their files? Just a suggestion; good to hear you've got it going though.
 Stream
05-27-2011, 6:25 PM
The only people that can't access it are banned members and I'm pretty sure we've only ever banned spammers. I don't recall us banning a human member.

You have to be logged in to upload files, for obvious reasons, and to post a comment - I'm in the middle of testing an anti spam feature so guests will be able to comment too. I expect we'll get the odd spam comment here and there but we'll be able to handle that.
 JebusJM
05-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Hey Stream, just wanted to let you know I had no idea Deadly Stream existed, so I apologise if I offended you at all :)

It's goood to see you changing some things around.
 Stream
05-28-2011, 2:54 AM
No offence taken, it's not really advertised much to be honest so a lot of people don't know about it.
 TimBob12
05-28-2011, 3:01 AM
Deadly Stream is not even listed in the where to find mods thread. Why isn't it advertised more?
 bendarby24
05-28-2011, 3:32 AM
trust us it a good site, it is made by the doctor and it has some of the bigest names in moding there ! vp (VarsityPuppet) stone the creater of tslcrm and m4-7h mod, lord of hunger he is making the geoharad mod, Qui-Don Jorn creater of hotor, dak, dead man, Hassat Hunter he has made louds of mods, Markus Ramikin, HaVoKeR creater of ultmeit rebalence mod, Canderis, TimBob12, zbyl2, ChAiNz.2da. we have picture of the week, we have are own fourms, are own profile page were you can add freinds .... we have a arcade, we have mod trackers, a big galary, a really good downlouding system and now we have a new chating system what is alsome thanks to doctor. so come one and all and jion the new genarashion of kotor !!! http://deadlystream.com/)

and blogs and a system what shows you all the new forums. :)
 Stream
05-28-2011, 4:49 AM
Deadly Stream is not even listed in the where to find mods thread. Why isn't it advertised more?

Until just after Christmas 2010 it wasn't really setup as somewhere to host mods. We did have a few there but it was a horrible system and most people didn't like it - To be honest I wasn't too fond of it either.

We decided to give it a major overhaul to make it easy, reliable, functional and something people would want to use. There was even a name change planned (Republic Knights) although it was decided to keep the current name.
 bendarby24
05-28-2011, 6:18 AM
stream i have never seen you at deadly streams :/
 TimBob12
05-28-2011, 6:34 AM
Just a quick guess but I guess its named after him?
 Stream
05-28-2011, 11:23 AM
stream i have never seen you at deadly streams :/

If I said I'm usually in the TARDIS you'd guess who I am.

One of the reasons I wanted the site to be renamed is so people could tell the difference between DS the person and DS the site - As it stayed the same I changed my name instead, just haven't gotten around to changing it all forums yet.
 ChAiNz.2da
06-08-2011, 10:41 AM

An oversight that is now fixed ;)
Thanks TimBob12 :D

On a sidenote, kindly "remind" staff about missing links and such. We can't add sites or fix some things without someone bringing it to our attention.. hehe
 TimBob12
06-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Ok Thanks, Hopefully Deadly Stream will now see some more traffic :D
 Stream
07-24-2011, 6:09 PM
Just a heads up that we now have a review system in place.

All new mods will be reviewed and we'll gradually be reviewing the existing files too.
 JebusJM
07-24-2011, 7:52 PM
Good to hear. At least one of the mod sites are getting their priorities right.
Page: 1 of 1