Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gov of AL stirs controversey w/remarks to church crowd

Page: 1 of 1
 Totenkopf
01-19-2011, 1:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_alabama_governor_christians)

Big deal. :rolleyes: Now, had this been in his actual inaugural address, he'd more likely, as Ricky Ricardo used to say..."you have some 'splaining to do, Lucy!" I mean, if candidate BO could tell a crowd in SF that people in flyover country (PA, specifically, iirc) were bitter and needed to cling to their God and guns, etc.....
 mimartin
01-19-2011, 2:13 PM
Anyone on the forum today that does not share the same mother or father with me is not my brother or sister. And I don't want to be your brother.

I would say Gov. Bentley needs to learn a little more about biology. Otherwise I could care less if I am his brother or not, unless he is willing to walk my mother’s ratdog.

Have you been to PA, as far as I could tell they are bitter. If I live in PA I would be bitter too.
 Tommycat
01-19-2011, 2:13 PM
Wait, he wants to, "be your brothers and sisters too."

How can one man be brothers(plural) and sisters(plural).

I can understand being their brother, or even their sister(I don't judge) heck even brother AND sister(um... I'll let you just imagine that) does he have MPD?

At any rate, yes, he should be looked at a bit since it could be seen as attempting to establish Christianity as the religion of Alabama.
 urluckyday
01-19-2011, 2:24 PM
meh. it'll get taken way out of context...oh wait...it already has.
 Totenkopf
01-19-2011, 4:20 PM
Have you been to PA, as far as I could tell they are bitter. If I live in PA I would be bitter too.

At least they aren't inbred like you Texans. :xp:
 Sabretooth
01-19-2011, 9:52 PM
Wait, he wants to, "be your brothers and sisters too."

How can one man be brothers(plural) and sisters(plural).

I can understand being their brother, or even their sister(I don't judge) heck even brother AND sister(um... I'll let you just imagine that) does he have MPD?

Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother.

:confused:
 mimartin
01-19-2011, 10:34 PM
At least they aren't inbred like you Texans. :xp:

Jealousy of Texans is so unbecoming. :xp: I’ll let Samuel Dravis have the honor of banning you
 Totenkopf
01-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Jealousy of Texans is so unbecoming. :xp: I’ll let Samuel Dravis have the honor of banning you

Well, they say everything is bigger in TX.....which explains your imagination in this case. :devsmoke: *goes into hiding*
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-20-2011, 9:25 AM
Several things......

@mim - are the semantics of "brothers" and "sisters" really the problem here? And, are you really against "brotherhood" in any form? I would say your participation in this forum shows otherwise. But, yes, I am jealous of Texans... for having a proactive and aggressive state Leg.

@sabretooth - thanks for fixing the tommycat post... that was a pot shot, and a weak one.

@Totenkopf - Well, there are inbreds in Texas, and arguably every state in this inbred nation... but to think that there are more inbreds anywhere OUTSIDE of Alabama is a fallacy. Uncle Dad is in the Outhouse children.

That we have ingored entirely where this happened is surprising to me. He only stirred controversy outside of the tri-state area.

BTW... if everything is bigger in Texas, that means everything. Even if mim is not imagining ***, he needs all of it to fill that Texas gal. Relativity.
 JediAthos
01-20-2011, 1:21 PM
Despite issuing an apology...I would suspect that governor meant what he said....and frankly it's when I see that type of statement or pattern of thought regardless of whether it's about religion, race, sex, lifestyle etc...that I wonder if it will ever be possible for not just America, but for the world as a whole to have any sort of peace anywhere.

I know it won't happen in my lifetime and probably not in my children's lifetime either. I just wonder what it will take for us to put this kind of crap behind us.

At any rate...the governor has issued his apology, and I'm sure six months from now very few people will remember what he said and if he's doing a good job he'll probably even get reelected. In short...life goes on.
 mimartin
01-20-2011, 2:16 PM
Several things......

@mim - are the semantics of "brothers" and "sisters" really the problem here?

My sarcasm did not translate. :D

No I'm not against brotherhood/sisterhood, but I am against my family and do not want any more stepbrothers or stepsisters. I also would like to get rid of the ones I have.

Seriously I find his comments ignorant. More so that it was just something stupid to say publicly. However, if he really feels that way why did he run for elected office? Politicians need to remember once they are elected to office they represent the people or this country/their state or their district and if they feel they cannot represent all the people of their state (in this case) equally, then they should not have ran for office in the first place.
 Tommycat
01-20-2011, 6:11 PM
:confused:

If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too,
Did you guys bother to read the article all the way through?

edit. Whoops, they removed the second quote. and now the article is completely different.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.
"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News.
The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.
"His comments are not only offensive, but also raise serious questions as to whether non-Christians can expect to receive equal treatment during his tenure as governor," said Bill Nigut, the ADL's regional director.
[Read more: The First Amendment, explained]
Speaking at Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church after the official inaugural ceremony, Bentley told the crowd that he considered anyone who believed in Jesus to be his brothers and sisters regardless of color, but anyone who isn't a Christian doesn't have that same relationship to him.
Click image to see photos of Ala. Gov. Robert Bentley

AP/Dave Martin
"If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too," Bentley said.
After his speech, Bentley said he did not mean to insult anyone.
Responding to questions about it, Bentley's office released a statement Tuesday saying he believes "he is the governor of all of Alabama."
"The governor clearly stated that he will be the governor of all Alabamians — Democrat, Republican and Independent, young, old, black and white, rich and poor. As stated in his (inaugural) address, Gov. Bentley believes his job is to make everyone's lives better," the statement said.
Ashfaq Taufique, president of the Birmingham Islamic Society, told The Birmingham News he wasn't sure how Bentley's remarks were intended.
"Does it mean that those who according to him are not saved are less important than those who are saved?" Taufique said. "Does he want those of us who do not belong to the Christian faith to adopt his faith? That should be toned down. That's not what we need. If he means that, I hope he changes it. We don't want evangelical politicians. They can be whatever in their private life."
The official with the Anti-Defamation League, which fights discrimination against Jewish people, said it sounded like Bentley was using the office of governor to advocate for Christian conversion.
"If he does so, he is dancing dangerously close to a violation of the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which forbids government from promoting the establishment of any religion," Nigut said.
___
Associated Press Writer Bob Johnson in Montgomery contributed to this report.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-20-2011, 6:20 PM
Did you guys bother to read the article all the way through?
If the Holy Spirit lives in you that makes you my brothers and sisters. Anyone who has not accepted Jesus, I want to be your brothers and sisters, too

Well, I just finished reading the moronic article for the fourth time and cannot find that text in there anywhere :giveup:

So, either we are reading different articles from the same link, or ???
 Tommycat
01-20-2011, 7:18 PM
Well, I just finished reading the moronic article for the fourth time and cannot find that text in there anywhere :giveup:

So, either we are reading different articles from the same link, or ???

They changed the article. They do that from time to time. When I read it that quote was in there.

If you read the hidden version I posted, it has the original article as I read it when you posted it.
 Totenkopf
01-21-2011, 3:08 AM
@Totenkopf - Well, there are inbreds in Texas, and arguably every state in this inbred nation... but to think that there are more inbreds anywhere OUTSIDE of Alabama is a fallacy. Uncle Dad is in the Outhouse children.

That we have ingored entirely where this happened is surprising to me. He only stirred controversy outside of the tri-state area.

BTW... if everything is bigger in Texas, that means everything. Even if mim is not imagining ***, he needs all of it to fill that Texas gal. Relativity.

Was just razzing mimartin over his jab at the "poor bitter folks in PA". There probably are more inbreds in AL, but they're just a "bigger" problem in TX. :devsmoke:
Page: 1 of 1