Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Protests banned in UK??? Really?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth Avlectus
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
I found a couple of interesting stories. At risk of making myself look like a complete jackass:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/uk-ban-student-marches/)

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/155840.html)

Really? Banning open protests? For reals? Maybe I'm just some durn yank redskin halfbreed with my constitution who dun' understand them sophisticated laws in them thar UK parts. Still I'm under the impression UK values free speech. (?) Please, friends across the pond, tell me what's going on. Only heard about this briefly yesterday. Somehow I would have thought there'd be more outrage at such a thing but it could just be me.

Why haven't I heard more about it?
 jrrtoken
12-24-2010, 8:46 AM
I wish if they'd ban anything it'd be those damned EDL pogroms; they're neo-Nazi picnics, frankly.
 Astor
12-24-2010, 9:42 AM
I wish if they'd ban anything it'd be those damned EDL pogroms; they're neo-Nazi picnics, frankly.

Agreed - they've marched through my home town several times since September and every time I see them I want to vomit.

I have to admit I haven't heard this in the news (but I've spent the past week in bed or with my head down a toilet, so that's probably why), but the first article doesn't mention (although it links to) an outright ban on protests, but it does mention a ban on marches, which is altogether different.

It's a tricky situation, though - the violence that's led to this proposal is shocking, but carried out by a small minority (on both sides, it must be said).

I really can't see an outright ban working anyway.
 mimartin
12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I refuse to be critical of the UK banning anything. After all, if it is true what that self-serving blowhole Michael Savage spouts (a BIG if), he is banned in Britain. If that is true then our neighbors across the pond are alright in my book. If true, I’m even willing to discuss rejoining the Empire provided it gets rid of Savage.
 Pavlos
12-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Somehow I would have thought there'd be more outrage at such a thing but it could just be me.
The British, more specifically the English, developed a sense of humour to deal with their troubles. The French are the ones who actually kick up a fuss about things, they developed a sense of revolution. The police could be herding everyone into gas chambers and most people would probably just say, 'Tuh! Typical.' Have you not seen a Doctor Who season finale? When the aliens come down to enslave Cardiff and London (but never anywhere else, to be fair to them) almost everyone mindlessly submits to them. In fact, most people just stand around in the street staring.

The student protests seem to be the first instance of sustained large-scale marches against government plans in decades. Rather interestingly, considering who's in power: over a rather middle class issue, involving primarily middle class people. The Tories are setting fire to their own home.

As to the proposed ban: The Met has been getting out of hand for more than a few years, now. They have too much power and not enough discipline. However, the Met can only request -- to my knowledge -- to ban the marches. Whether or not the Home Secretary or the London Mayor will grant them power to do so is another matter.

If true, I’m even willing to discuss rejoining the Empire provided it gets rid of Savage.
I believe he is banned from entering the UK, yes.
 Darth Avlectus
12-24-2010, 8:05 PM
I refuse to be critical of the UK banning anything. After all, if it is true what that self-serving blowhole Michael Savage spouts (a BIG if), he is banned in Britain. If that is true then our neighbors across the poundpond are alright in my book. If true, I’m even willing to discuss rejoining the Empire provided it gets rid of Savage.
Fixed...Unless the Atlantic ocean is now full of currency. Which couldn't very well be done without the use of HHHAAAAAAXXXXXX. ) ***Gives self Christmas present by finally banning GTA...~mimartin*** :dev14:
I have to admit I haven't heard this in the news (but I've spent the past week in bed or with my head down a toilet, so that's probably why)
If you're not vomiting into it, you're scrubbing it out. :giveup: :)
(feel better soon hopefully)

, but the first article doesn't mention (although it links to) an outright ban on protests, but it does mention a ban on marches, which is altogether different.

It's a tricky situation, though - the violence that's led to this proposal is shocking, but carried out by a small minority (on both sides, it must be said).
I've often contended when anything escalates, that there is fault on both sides.
I really can't see an outright ban working anyway.
Thanks for the affirmation at least. :)

The British, more specifically the English, developed a sense of humour to deal with their troubles. The French are the ones who actually kick up a fuss about things, they developed a sense of revolution.
Well, I guess that's why so many in the states with french heritage are ashamed of it. :D
The police could be herding everyone into gas chambers and most people would probably just say, 'Tuh! Typical.'Oh?

Have you not seen a Doctor Who season finale? When the aliens come down to enslave Cardiff and London (but never anywhere else, to be fair to them) almost everyone mindlessly submits to them. In fact, most people just stand around in the street staring.
Err, no. Haven't. That's sort of like me asking if you have seen all the episodes of the '90s cartoon of megaman. You could have but probably didn't. ;)
Though I've seen the Mr. Bean shows and a little Black Atter. Any credit there?:dev9:

So more or less what you're saying is that it's worth a mention but little else. Yes or no?

The student protests seem to be the first instance of sustained large-scale marches against government plans in decades. Rather interestingly, considering who's in power: over a rather middle class issue, involving primarily middle class people. The Tories are setting fire to their own home.

As to the proposed ban: The Met has been getting out of hand for more than a few years, now. They have too much power and not enough discipline. However, the Met can only request -- to my knowledge -- to ban the marches. Whether or not the Home Secretary or the London Mayor will grant them power to do so is another matter.

So while potential is there, it wasn't/isn't a full scale crackdown of martial law.

It was interesting enough I figured I'd look it up--then ask someone who was near enough to it.
Thanks.

Word of mouth is how I heard about it, not Savage. You can't even get him in most places on radio around the state of California (where he resides), nor half of Nevada next door either. I'd have to go to the inner big cities. Listening for him in their sports stations, after prime time hours who *might* play him pre recorded, edited, and not even given outtro, last I heard. This is, what, 2 or 3 years ago now?

Sooooo, why the name of a now defunct, irrelevant radio talkshow host even came up here, I have no idea.
 Q
12-24-2010, 9:10 PM
Protests banned?

Hm, sounds familiar... :¬:
 Darth Avlectus
12-27-2010, 7:26 PM
***Gives self Christmas present by finally banning GTA...~mimartin***

Watstat now? Why's that monitor smashed over your head? That isn't healthy. :dev11:

Anyhow I see what you did here and if you want me to debate it: Okay then. :smirk2:

I refuse to be critical
Perhaps where desire outweighs reason, which is entirely possible. :p
Depending on the issue, though, you might have just shot yourself in the foot. I thought Texans were supposed to have good aim. :jester1:
Oh! Snap! http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/images/smilies/large/smiley_smug.gif)
of the UK banning anything. After all, if it is true what that self-serving blowhole Michael Savage
I'll grant you he probably isn't the easiest to get along with for most people. Still, aren't you the one on about how talking heads lack credibility?
Why so serious?
http://encefalus.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/joker.jpg)
spouts (a BIG if), he is banned in Britain.
That is confirmed. And it's a vague generalized reference to the OP title. :carms:
If that is true then our neighbors across the pound are alright in my book. If that's true, then I can't imagine why (or how) you still manage to live in Texas. And like it. You'd be better suited for the west coast methinks. :xp: Not to mention it would tend to contradict the "proud" in "Proud Texan". If you're redefining what that means, then that's another matter altogether. :D
If true, I’m even willing to discuss rejoining the Empire provided it gets rid of Savage.
What's a matter? Can't just take care of that yourself? I hear up in Tahoe there's a mansion of a mob family. Corleone family if I'm not mistaken. :dev9:
 Jae Onasi
12-28-2010, 1:48 AM
What's a matter? Can't just take care of that yourself? I hear up in Tahoe there's a mansion of a mob family. Corleone family if I'm not mistaken. :dev9:
Yeah, they're going to make Savage an offer he can't refuse. :devsmoke:
 Darth Avlectus
12-28-2010, 5:52 AM
I can't believe he can't take care of it himself. :disaprove

@ below:
Banning Savage is just as easy as banning you. I simply have to hit a button on my radio or in your case a little red card shaped button below your name.:dev14:

Which will invalidate you as a level headed guy. It's okay if you shoot yourself in the foot: You've got another one. :devburn:
 mimartin
12-28-2010, 11:54 AM
I can't believe he can't take care of it himself. :disaprove
Banning Savage is just as easy as banning you. I simply have to hit a button on my radio or in your case a little red card shaped button below your name.:dev14:
Page: 1 of 1