Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TFU 2 Book...High chance of spoilers

Page: 1 of 1
 Slaterx
10-09-2010, 5:50 PM
The book is out so feel free to discuss it here but please mark it as spoilers. Note: Dont take evrything in it at face value as the games is bound to show some of the cenimatics diffrently and the people he fights Just like the first one.

Discuss:thmbup1:
 Samnmax221
10-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I already read a synopsis and it is ****. Nothing in Star Wars is meaningful anymore with this **** behind the scenes story grafted on it. Thanks for making this garbage into movie level canon George.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-11-2010, 1:55 PM
It isn't movie-level canon. :rolleyes: And come on, it wasn't that bad.

I finished it yesterday. Not a bad story, but not the greatest either. My question is: Do the story writers not know what happens to a living body when sucked out into space? In the first one, we had the puzzling dilemma of Starkiller being sucked out into space and surviving, and now we have Boba Fett pulling Juno out into space and merely slapping a breathing mask on her. Surviving in space has to do with more than just breathing! Space has no pressure, whereas your body does, so you would come fairly close to exploding; not to mention that you would freeze instantly. Idiots.

The ending was certainly interesting, with the capture of Darth Vader by the Rebel Alliance. Now a third installment to in the series seems all but necessary to wrap things up, but as we've heard, LucasArts isn't making such a thing look very promising. We may very well have another KOTOR dilemma on our hands.
 thelazygent
10-11-2010, 9:40 PM
ah i wanna read the spoiler but i dont ahhhhhhhhh
 Samnmax221
10-12-2010, 1:28 AM
TFU is a **** high-level concept game, and there is nothing compelling about it.

Oh hey Luke, sorry about not mentioning that we had an unstoppable behemoth on our side during the Galactic Civil War, sorry about your hand, and that old you hung around with. The ending is absolute ****, the EU is already pretty awful but this just ****ed it up even worse
Starkiller gets trained by Yoda, Leia's role model is Juno, Starkiller created the rebellion. Nothing in the original trilogy means anything because Starkiller did everything.
 Prime
10-12-2010, 9:41 AM
Just become a movie purist like me and you'll feel just fine!
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
If you ask me, it's these movie purists/anti-EUers who are the most annoying. If you hate it so badly, why read the book? Why post on a TFU message board? It reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church: If you hate America so much, go somewhere else!

And Starkiller was hardly "trained" by Yoda. The little guy had a cameo wherein he imparted a few words of wisdom.
 TKA-001
10-12-2010, 1:32 PM
Boba Fett pulling Juno out into space and merely slapping a breathing mask on her.
Doesn't sound stupider than in TESB where Han, Leia, and Chewbacca were inside the space slug's gut with only what appear to be masks.
 Samnmax221
10-12-2010, 1:39 PM
If you ask me, it's these movie purists/anti-EUers who are the most annoying. If you hate it so badly, why read the book? Why post on a TFU message board? It reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church: If you hate America so much, go somewhere else!

My precious EU, I will compare anyone who doesn't like my little spergfest to real life bigots. I don't hate the EU, I just hate the crummy parts of it, and this definitely qualifies.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-12-2010, 8:15 PM
And I, similarly, do not unequivocally love the entirety of the EU, just the great parts of it. There's a lot of crap in there, to be certain, but a lot of gold as well. Some of it is even better than the movies, in my opinion.

Doesn't sound stupider than in TESB where Han, Leia, and Chewbacca were inside the space slug's gut with only what appear to be masks.

(Didn't see the need for the spoiler tag, since everyone has undoubtedly seen the movie.)

That I could always accept, because here we have this creature with the ability to survive the vacuum of space, so I would assume that it contained within its body all of the conditions to sustain living organs, including the necessary pressure. (Which would mean that it would essentially have been an organic space vessel.) The Falcon's sensors may have detected a sustainable atmosphere-like environment inexplicably existing within this "cave," but no breathable gases, thus rendering the use of breathing masks necessary.

Why there's gravity inside the creature's gut, I have no idea.
 Blix
10-12-2010, 8:41 PM
There are always going to be contrarians whenever "the next big thing" comes around (despite varying opinions on what everyone considers to be the "big thing"). The book sounds interesting enough so I might pick up a copy at some point or borrow my roommate's copy.
 TKA-001
10-12-2010, 8:58 PM
I would assume that it contained within its body all of the conditions to sustain living organs, including the necessary pressure.
Uh... If an ant crawled down my throat and into my stomach, would it be able to survive there? Bad analogy, probably, but do you get what I mean? Why would it have those conditions at all, let alone the exact ones needed to support humans? And lastly, if it had all conditions needed for that, then why would Han and co. need masks in the first place?

Also, Sam, it would be absolutely lovely if you would be even one iota more specific about why the book was so horrendous. How was the prose? Characterization? Did it violate anything except your personal view of what the canon timeline should be? And while I'm at it...
Oh hey Luke, sorry about not mentioning that we had an unstoppable behemoth on our side during the Galactic Civil War [...] The ending is absolute ****, the EU is already pretty awful but this just ****ed it up even worse
Even if we ignore that TFU did not exist yet back then, there is no reason the apprentice would have been mentioned to Luke in the movies, or probably any other time until well after RotJ. And I'd hardly call him an unstoppable behemoth simply because he accomplishes several highly impressive Force-related feats, considering the game is all about ridiculous levels of Force power. You might not remember this, but there was also that time the Emperor killed him with almost ridiculous ease.

Starkiller gets trained by Yoda, Leia's role model is Juno, Starkiller created the rebellion. Nothing in the original trilogy means anything because Starkiller did everything.
...except save that rebellion by destroying the first Death Star and later redeeming Darth Vader and causing him to kill the Emperor. To say nothing of everything else Luke did in the post-Endor decades.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-12-2010, 9:49 PM
Well, I would think that their anatomies would be just a tad different than anything terrestrial. After all, they're sitting out in space. Not much tends to come by in the way of food.

Like I said, it's an organic spaceship, though a better example would probably be an organic biosphere.

Or something. I don't know. :(
 Samnmax221
10-13-2010, 7:02 AM
 Prime
10-14-2010, 11:32 AM
If you ask me, it's these movie purists/anti-EUers who are the most annoying. If you hate it so badly, why read the book? Why post on a TFU message board? It reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church: If you hate America so much, go somewhere else!Whoa, hold it a minute. First, people are allowed to discuss their views here even if they don't line up with yours. So none of this "if you don't like it leave" stuff. As long as it is civil then people can express their opinions here.

Secondly, movie purists aren't all EU haters. I for one don't. Much of it I enjoy. Thrawn trilogy, JK, KOTOR, Legacy comics. All awesome stuff. But I've gotten the impression that Lucas Licensing doesn't really care. The fact is that right now continuity is a mess. I'm OK with retcons that make sense. A storyline that has multiple writers over many years is going to have some inconsistencies. I accept that. But at least the retcons should help things fit together better, not make it worse.

My beef is that the caretakers of the EU, IMO, have dropped the ball and allowed a bunch of stuff in that either doesn't fit at all or doesn't make sense, story quality aside. TFU2 has been the latest transgressor. I'm just finding that taking only the films as canon helps me get around all the nonsense in the EU these days and just enjoy the stories themselves, even when they don't fit. I don't want to feel that way, but I feel forced to.
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-15-2010, 1:31 PM
Well, I can agree with most of that. And my point wasn't that you ought to leave because your view is different than mine. (After all, I am a libertarian, so the protection of free speech and different ideas runs in my blood.) I was talking to Samnmax221, not you, and I was trying to envision it from his perspective: I don't like a certain game, so why do I want to post on a message board about it? It seems like a waste of time for something I don't even like, and will likely lead to much flaming.

Just trying to get some perspective is all. I wouldn't post on a Pokemon message board.
 Samnmax221
10-15-2010, 3:23 PM
Well, I can agree with most of that. And my point wasn't that you ought to leave because your view is different than mine. (After all, I am a libertarian, so the protection of free speech and different ideas runs in my blood.) I was talking to Samnmax221, not you, and I was trying to envision it from his perspective: I don't like a certain game, so why do I want to post on a message board about it? It seems like a waste of time for something I don't even like, and will likely lead to much flaming.
You compared me making fun of your precious Starkiller to members of the Westboro Baptist Church, a well known hate group. Not that any of the above makes any more sense.
 TKA-001
10-15-2010, 4:15 PM
I don't like a certain game, so why do I want to post on a message board about it? It seems like a waste of time for something I don't even like, and will likely lead to much flaming.
There's nothing wrong with saying that he hates it; in fact, I resent the belief that negative opinions should be ignored or not expressed simply because they're negative. The real problem is that he seems utterly unable to express even the slightest specifics on why he dislikes the work.
 Samnmax221
10-15-2010, 6:06 PM
Apparently you didn't read the part where I said that everything in the movies is diminished because the new explanation for everything is that Starkiller was pulling the strings. He's a terrible non-character who's only purpose is to convey a high concept (Kicking ass with the force) but then was haphazardly stapled to the story of the OT because they knew window lickers like Zerimar Nyliram would think it was the deepest story eeeeeeever.
 MajinMikeyX
10-15-2010, 7:16 PM
Apparently you didn't read the part where I said that everything in the movies is diminished because the new explanation for everything is that Starkiller was pulling the strings. He's a terrible non-character who's only purpose is to convey a high concept (Kicking ass with the force) but then was haphazardly stapled to the story of the OT because they knew window lickers like Zerimar Nyliram would think it was the deepest story eeeeeeever.

That's your opinion, but most of us think Starkiller's a pretty cool cat :thmbup1:
 Zerimar Nyliram
10-15-2010, 10:24 PM
And what makes you think I think it's the "deepest story eeeeever"? I don't believe I've ever said anything to indicate anything remotely close to that. All I've ever said in my entire time at these forums is that The Force Unleashed is a fun little adventure.

If you're going to make wild accusations, have the stones and/or mental fortitude to back them up.
 TKA-001
10-16-2010, 1:36 PM
Apparently you didn't read the part where I said that everything in the movies is diminished because the new explanation for everything is that Starkiller was pulling the strings.

Had you read my previous post, you would know that I did read that claim and responded to it in turn. And how was Starkiller "pulling the strings" so damn much? I'm roughly halfway through the book, and he's hardly even expressing interest in helping them. And, of course, there's his complete absence from anything to do with the rebellion as of ANH and beyond. Moreover, if you're complaining about Starkiller being as important to the fate of the galaxy as Luke and the gang in the OT, then why is not, say, Revan from the KotOR series, or Luke's & Han's kids in the post-RotJ novels guilty also of "stealing the spotlight"? Every period in the timeline has to have pivotally important figures, and Starkiller is just another one of the dozens that came before Luke. If you can actually come up with some plot holes, examples of sloppy characterization, or something like that, then we can talk business, but until then you're aimlessly bitching about a book that, going by your first post in this thread, you haven't even read, which I dare say is the absolute height of bad taste in criticism.
 Zwier Zak
10-17-2010, 7:46 AM

I agree.

With that said I just ignore TFU story. It's absurd to me and I don't care about it at all. I'll just do the same for the second one. But I sure as hell don't want a third one.
 TKA-001
10-17-2010, 10:42 AM
He isn't a character, he's just the guy on the screen that facilitates throwing thing around. Revan was at least part of a good story before they decided to butcher it to get a hold of monthly subscription fees from nerds who can't say no to George the pusher man. The Solo kids (Kid really since the other two were killed off) have only a few good stories and the rest of it is really ****.
If you're going to nerd-rage about TOR, then do it somewhere else. Unless you're going to go into any detail aside from general statements of non-characterization (with not a single example from the story to back up your claim), then refer to my previous post.

Also, real smooth ignoring every time where I address your claims (like that Starkiller supposedly does everything and invalidates the OT) and instead making another post like I didn't actually write anything.

I remember when people used to complain about the NJO all day long, in the intervening 7 years they've really raped the EU into the ground.

Karen "I will be alone forever" Traviss
"My gut reaction is that they all need garroting, but my rational self finds it all... fascinating."

Yah, kill all those people who realize you're a worthless hack writer who only writes homoerotic space marine stories.

Kevin J. "Superweapon DUUUURRRRR" Anderson
Wrote Darksaber and then wasn't allowed to write anymore Star Wars books in a uncharacteristic smart move by Lucas Licensing, currently raping Frank Herbert's corpse.

R. A. "****ty disposable fantasy novels" Salvatore
Just get the **** out you elf loving fatfat.
"Not that these authors have anything to do with the topic, but hey, it'll help distract the guy I'm arguing with, so..."
 Blix
10-17-2010, 2:18 PM
My really only major beef with the whole TFU is how the Rebel Alliance was retconned to being formed around his "sacrifice".
 Samnmax221
10-17-2010, 2:32 PM
If you're going to nerd-rage about TOR, then do it somewhere else. Unless you're going to go into any detail aside from general statements of non-characterization (with not a single example from the story to back up your claim), then refer to my previous post.

Also, real smooth ignoring every time where I address your claims (like that Starkiller supposedly does everything and invalidates the OT) and instead making another post like I didn't actually write anything.
As sated above the Rebel Alliance is formed around his sacrifice, and they go out of their way to give the impression that it wouldn't have happened without him. There were some vague indications of how the Alliance was formed in the movies, and it was later expanded on by someone who is really too good to be writing Star Wars novels, Timothy Zahn. Much like the rest of the EU the work of good authors gets screwed up by bad authors and stupid licensing decisions, and then you get throw things around and QTE till your brains run out your ears 2010!

"Not that these authors have anything to do with the topic, but hey, it'll help distract the guy I'm arguing with, so..."
Just addressing the "There's nothing at all wrong with the EU, nothing at all....LALALALALALALALA" crowd.
 TKA-001
10-17-2010, 8:32 PM
As sated above the Rebel Alliance is formed around his sacrifice, and they go out of their way to give the impression that it wouldn't have happened without him.
The rebellion has to be formed somehow. Without what formed it, it wouldn't have formed. Besides, Bail says in the novel that he, Mothma, and Iblis had been indirectly helping each other out for years, and all they needed was some encouragement, any encouragement, to get them to seal the deal. Starkiller just happened to be that encouragement, whereas it was unexplained in the EU before.

There were some vague indications of how the Alliance was formed in the movies
I don't recall any such thing except a number of deleted scenes from Episode III (which remained in the novel).

and it was later expanded on by someone who is really too good to be writing Star Wars novels, Timothy Zahn. Much like the rest of the EU the work of good authors gets screwed up by bad authors and stupid licensing decisions, and then you get throw things around and QTE till your brains run out your ears 2010!.
I'm not especially familiar with Zahn's work in regards to the rebellion's origins, but I'm pretty sure that he never really established anything that makes TFU's story impossible. The actual forming of the rebellion was never shown until recently.
 Samnmax221
10-17-2010, 9:18 PM
The rebellion has to be formed somehow. Without what formed it, it wouldn't have formed. Besides, Bail says in the novel that he, Mothma, and Iblis had been indirectly helping each other out for years, and all they needed was some encouragement, any encouragement, to get them to seal the deal. Starkiller just happened to be that encouragement, whereas it was unexplained in the EU before.
If it needed to be explained it didn't need an entire Deus Ex Machina explanation that there were never any indicators of before.

LALALALALAALa We're never going to talk about this ever again LALALALALALALA

I don't recall any such thing except a number of deleted scenes from Episode III (which remained in the novel).
Well a ragtag bunch of AN ANIME INSPIRED JEDI WHO CAN PULL STAR DESTROYERS TO THE GROUND DID GOT EVERYTHING TOGETHER BECAUSE DARTH VADER TOLD HIM TO, BUT IT WAS A TRICK, AND THEN IT WASN'T, AND THEN IT WAS A TRICK AGAIN, BUT IT WORKED OUT ANYWAY. THEN HE WAS DEAD, THEN HE WASN'T BUT HE MIGHT BE, KICKASS WITH TEH FORCE, MAKE MONEY ON TOYS AND GAMES BECAUSE KIDS DON'T GO OUTSIDE ANYMORE, THEN THERES A RANCOR AND IT'S LIKE BRRAAAAAAH, AND HE MAKES STORMTROOPERS ESPLODE WITH HIS MIND, THIS IS SO DEEP MAN.

I'm not especially familiar with Zahn's work in regards to the rebellion's origins, but I'm pretty sure that he never really established anything that makes TFU's story impossible. The actual forming of the rebellion was never shown until recently.
Then you aren't especially familiar with any part of the EU that is good.
 Shem
10-18-2010, 12:20 AM
You should talk about who's allowed internet you awesome, loving, friend of mine who's having a friendly disagreement.
Using Autism as if that means someone is stupid is not a smart thing to do around here. I have Asperger's which is in the Autism spectrum. Does that make me stupid?

All this because you pretty much lost a debate with TKA-001.
 Astor
10-18-2010, 2:14 AM
As much as I hate to do this without proper authority...

CUT IT OUT.
 Jae Onasi
10-18-2010, 2:35 AM
Flaming others is a violation of the ToS and the forum rules. The major perpetrators have been infracted for these violations because they were so blatant. The thread has been pruned. It's closed until you all can simmer down and speak to each other in a rational way and not like 3 year olds stomping their feet when they don't get their way in an argument.
 Prime
10-18-2010, 9:15 AM
Apparently you didn't read the part where I said that everything in the movies is diminished because the new explanation for everything is that Starkiller was pulling the strings. Wait a minute, how does it diminish everything in the films and how is Starkiller pulling the strings?
Page: 1 of 1