Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is it really porting...

Page: 1 of 1
 ZimmMaster
10-08-2010, 4:40 PM
I was watching the TSL Official Trailer and I noticed that the PMHC04 (mullet man) from KOTOR is used. So my question is; if the makers of TSL use a KOTOR head in the trailer, is it porting if we make it a selectable head for use in a mod?

Youtube Video Mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B8iPLMZZfs)
 redrob41
10-08-2010, 5:12 PM
is it porting if we make it a selectable head for use in a mod?
Yes. Just because the game developer used an asset in a video, doesn't change the fact that the asset isn't available on the TSL discs.

Now, if you're up for a challenge, you can try to re-model it from assets that are actually in the game. Mullet head shows up in a couple of different placeables, but he has his eyes closed, and is not rigged for animation. Zez-kai-ell has the same mullet on the back of his head, and he is rigged. So, if you can merge the two, it might yield some nice playable mullet man.

I started that once, but I need to learn more about rigging and animation before I can continue (so I'm taking a night class that teaches Maya). Maybe I can finish it in the future, but if someone beats me to it, I'd be just as happy.
 ZimmMaster
10-08-2010, 5:29 PM
Thanks for the quick answer. I don't know enough either. So I guess I'll just be patient for someone to release it.
 VarsityPuppet
10-08-2010, 6:50 PM
Thanks for the quick answer. I don't know enough either. So I guess I'll just be patient for someone to release it.

Cha-ching! You're lucky the right man found this thread!

I started that once, but I need to learn more about rigging and animation before I can continue (so I'm taking a night class that teaches Maya). Maybe I can finish it in the future, but if someone beats me to it, I'd be just as happy.

Good for you, Redrob! If you make the skins for the head (DS transitions and all), I'm all in.

EDIT: Just a head's up, In order to make this exactly like the mullet head, I'd need to port anyways, so I'm going to use a similar head to make... something similar to the mullet head. Does that make sense?
 Dak Drexl
10-08-2010, 8:40 PM
It's weird because the PMHA05 head from K1 is used also. Maybe PC heads weren't made yet when the trailer came out? This is actually what made me want to make one of my mods (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/K1_PMHA05_to_TSL;114469) a while ago. If merging models doesn't work well, I think trying to re-model the bearded head from TSL (Obi-Wan or Jesus) might be a good bet. Just a suggestion.
 VarsityPuppet
10-08-2010, 8:48 PM
It's weird because the PMHA05 head from K1 is used also. Maybe PC heads weren't made yet when the trailer came out? This is actually what made me want to make one of my mods (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/K1_PMHA05_to_TSL;114469) a while ago. If merging models doesn't work well, I think trying to re-model the bearded head from TSL (Obi-Wan or Jesus) might be a good bet. Just a suggestion.

It would work, but again, it would basically be porting.
 TriggerGod
10-08-2010, 9:28 PM
It would work, but again, it would basically be porting.

Its only porting if your using the assets used for the original. If you remodel a head and remake the skin, then its not porting.
 Dak Drexl
10-08-2010, 9:31 PM
Its only porting if your using the assets used for the original. If you remodel a head and remake the skin, then its not porting.

Yeah, that's what I meant. What I suggested wouldn't be porting, I guess you just misunderstood or I said it wrong :¬:
 Canderis
10-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Just want to say, one of the Hispanic males was the same head model, just tweaked, and the texture is in the game still
 VarsityPuppet
10-09-2010, 12:01 AM

Oh yeah, I know. I guess I'm not saying all that's in my head.

You see, I'm not much of a remodeler. I'm not going to add/move vertices just so I can make a head look almost exactly like the other head from kotor 1. It's not going to be exactly the same unless I just use the ascii code from that model anyways, which would be porting, so there's not much point.

My plan was to just combine the mullet head with the hispanic head and call it a day anyways ;)

EDIT: Hmm, my plan isn't working out so well. I may just have to do something else...
 Fallen Guardian
10-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I also noticed that one black guy from the first game he was bald. I think Captain Riiken is him just with a beard.
 Dak Drexl
10-09-2010, 5:21 PM
I also noticed that one black guy from the first game he was bald. I think Captain Riiken is him just with a beard.

Yeah, lots of heads were re-used for stuff like that. For example Dhagon Gent is just a clean Uthar Wynn and Dol Grenn is... I can't remember his name right now, but the guy you steal the Ebon Hawk from in K1.

Edit: and @VP, do ascii codes worth with heads? I haven't been able to get it to work before...
 bead-v
10-09-2010, 6:06 PM
Yeah, lots of heads were re-used for stuff like that. For example Dhagon Gent is just a clean Uthar Wynn and Dol Grenn is... I can't remember his name right now, but the guy you steal the Ebon Hawk from in K1.
Davik! So that's why he seemed so familiar to me.. damn, LucasArts, look what you made Obsidian do (and not do) by cutting the time!

(If it doesn't make sense, I had played TSL before I first played KOTOR 1)
 Darth_Calo
10-09-2010, 6:54 PM
one of the K2 selectable heads is actually one of the Onderon captains. so if you select it, he looks different
 redrob41
10-10-2010, 1:32 AM
There are actually quite a few heads that have the same basic uvw map layout. The skin that is closest to the mullet man from K1 is called PLC_EndPlC.tga and some of the other similar ones are N_ZezKaiEllH.tga, PMHC07.tga, PMHH01.tga, PMHH02.tga. They are similar because of the little triangle of hair just under the jaw (used for the dangly triangles of hair in the mullet), as well as the location of the eyeball and teeth.

Anytime I want to compare textures, I always look at the locations of the eye, teeth, and ear. Then I look at the face and hair.

others that are similar to each other are:
N_BrnModrul_H.tga & PMHC01A.tga

N_ContestWinH.tga & N_Coorta_H.tga & PMHC03.tga

N_BrejikH01.tga & N_ColTobinH.tga & N_Comm_w_m02.tga & N_Comm_w_m2.tga & N_Comm_w_m.tga & N_CorrenFaltH.tga & N_MekelH01.tga & N_TatComW_M.tga

N_comAMH01.tga & N_comAMH02.tga & N_ShaardanH01.tga & N_TatComA_M.tga & N_TraskH.tga

N_DockOfD01.tga & N_MainOfD01.tga & PMHC05.tga & PMHC06.tga (although these aren't as similar as some of the other examples)

N_GadonH01.tga & N_GrvckH.tga & PMHB03.tga & PMHB09.tga & PMHB10.tga

The list just keeps on going, but you can see how certain patterns were re-used.
Page: 1 of 1