Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WTF? BF2 running without the DVD unpatched?

Page: 1 of 1
 ggctuk
10-04-2010, 5:41 PM
So I recently bought SWBF2 PC DVD version. I uninstalled Steam and the SWBF2 I bought off Steam, installed a fresh copy of SWBF2 with the DVD. Go to install the Unofficial 1.3 patch, and when I am done, SWBF2 automatically runs. The DVD is not in the drive. I thought it was a side-effect of the installation so I tried starting BF2 after installing it. Same thing again - the game works without the DVD. The DVD is not pirated because I bought it from a supermarket's games section, the serial number I used works.

So I am wondering, has my Steam version created a 'no-CD' version of BF2? If it hasn't, what the Diet Dr. Pepper is going on?

I'm not trying to condone piracy, BTW. I am honestly baffled by this, and I would like to fix the issue.
 jawathehutt
10-04-2010, 6:45 PM
Waaaiiittt... You want to have to put a cd in...? Why?
 Bokken
10-04-2010, 7:46 PM
Your story similarly baffles me. You bought a Steam copy...and then bought a physical one? You dislike being able to play without the CD?

In fact, I believe that you do not have an issue at all. If your game is factory-default version 1.1, then it doesn't need the CD to play.
 ggctuk
10-05-2010, 4:50 AM
I bought a physical copy because Steam ate up too much memory combined with BF2. BF2 runs smoother without it, I've noticed. This and I don't want to be accused of illegally downloading a no-cd patch.

I'm told by the folks over at Gametoast, that the 1.1 DVD patch will still do a DVD check.
 Bokken
10-05-2010, 11:18 AM
In fact, it is perfectly legal to download a no-CD patch. The illegality comes when people who have obtained the game illegally use patches to play. For anyone who owns a legal copy of the game, a no-CD patch is acceptable. Not that you have downloaded a patch, but just to alleviate your fears, you couldn't even really be accused of any criminal activity.

I saw your thread at GameToast, and one person said it didn't, one said that it did. I think it depends on which version of the game you buy as factory default.
 HockeyGoalie35
10-11-2010, 9:45 PM
yea thats pretty routine for me. i find one after installing any game
Page: 1 of 1