Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

helmet voices???

Page: 1 of 1
 bryzz
08-11-2010, 2:36 PM
ok so i am adding mandalorians to the game and their armor has a helmet but my custom dialogue doent have voice - there is a tutorial i kno - so i am not worried about that but how would i get the voice recording to sound like a "helmet voice
 Kainzorus Prime
08-11-2010, 2:54 PM
I did some helmet voices yesterday for my clone mod. See if you like the result, and I can give you a guide to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCzSJ5zgELY)
 Inyri
08-11-2010, 7:58 PM
Try removing most/all of the bass register. This will give you a helmety sound.
 bryzz
08-11-2010, 9:35 PM
that video was awesome - i love the result - a guide would be incredible - thank you - i feel the helmet voices make it seem so much more realistic
 Mandalore The Shadow
08-11-2010, 9:40 PM
So do I. Its good to see someone striving for realism it helps immersion in the game.
 Inyri
08-11-2010, 11:07 PM
I've had pretty good results getting rid of anything under 400hz and over 4000hz. This will just leave the mid-level treble tones. For better results, fade in the outlying Hz areas. Ideally you'll have a plugin that will do this for you if you have no idea what I just said.

[sample sound] (http://www.inyri.info/helmet_example.mp3)

Example of the plugin I'm using (comes standard with Adobe Audition, but I'm sure other programs have similar standard or downloadable plugins):

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/7569/pluginh.jpg)
 bryzz
08-11-2010, 11:14 PM
yeah - i really have not really done anything with audio yet - i have no idea what kind of program to use or what to do or what you just said - but that audio was perfect - that is exactly what i was hopping for - the helmet option and the walkie talkie option - i could us them both at some point i am sure
 Yatsookey
08-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Could you perhaps make a tutorial for it using audacity? sorry but adobe programs just are not in the budget and i do too much sound editing to be covered by a free trial.
 Inyri
08-11-2010, 11:26 PM
It'll probably be different in every program. I have never used Audacity, but I'm sure there are similar tools. Look under the standard filters and see what's there.
 Yatsookey
08-11-2010, 11:28 PM
thanks ill take a look
 bryzz
08-12-2010, 12:03 AM
maybe i will wait until i have the all of the audio voice files then gather the ones that should be helmet voices - then i can make a request for the changes - i just feel liike i am doing so much at once - and most of if i only just barely kno what to do - i kno just enough to get it done
 Kainzorus Prime
08-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Ok, this is how I went about it. Note that I was using the lines that were already in game.

Rename wav extension to mp3, and decompress the file with Miles Sound Tools. Use Goldwave program to edit it then. In effects - Low/Highpass, select highpass and lower steepness to 3. Then go to effects - Equalizer, and select 'boost mid' from the presets. Lastly, go to effects - volume - change volume and play with the settings there until your sound is satisfactory loud or quiet.

Save the file, and compress it with Miles Sound Tools. Delete the now-obsolete mp3 file created at the start.
 ajlbibak
08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
 Inyri
08-12-2010, 7:36 PM
I think wavepad has changed in the last four years, if I remember correctly, so that may not still be relevant. :p
 jimbobillyjoe
08-13-2010, 7:12 AM
Is it just me or are they no longer letting people download Miles? I scoured the RAD Games site and couldn't find a link anywhere except for their Video/Bink stuff.
 ajlbibak
08-13-2010, 9:16 AM
I think wavepad has changed in the last four years, if I remember correctly, so that may not still be relevant. :p

It worked for me. :)
 Viado Onasi
08-21-2010, 7:00 PM
Is there a tutorial for the "helmet voices" for Audacity?
 Inyri
08-21-2010, 8:05 PM
If you look at post #6 where I showed the image of the FFT filter in Audition, you can do the exact same thing with the Equalization filter in Audacity. You'll have to custom-create the graph, though. Look below for an example (you can play around with it until you get the tonality you want).

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9052/helmetjo.jpg)

For other things like grunge/distortion you will probably have to look around for some VST audio plugins. I'll see if I can find some.
Page: 1 of 1