Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Backwards Lightsaber

Page: 1 of 2
 Slaterx
07-19-2010, 9:55 AM
Okay, so when the first TFU game came out we were all like Zomigod Backhanded lightsaber!!! (various Nerdgasms). But after a little while alot of us got tired with it. and know were going to have 2. While I personally still like it i know alot of people dont, so post ur thoughts do u like it? Hate it?
Comment:thmbup1:
 PoiuyWired
07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Well, like it or not, the backwards lightsaber is the trademark for Galen now. personally I would prefer something else, but being inconsistant thru out the series would be worse...

Then again I am one of those fuys who think OT sword fights leaves waaaay too many open moves and PT fights are mostly flashyly suicidal.
 truJedi
07-19-2010, 6:20 PM
i like it, it makes him unique :) i like the way how he switches to normal stance durin the moves. It would be cool if you could turn them on and off durin gameplay, like who needs a lightsaber when u can just bbq lighnting crisp storm troopers lol
p.s cchheeeeese :)
 Zerimar Nyliram
07-19-2010, 7:49 PM
But after a little while [a lot] of us got tired with it.

We did? I think most people probably didn't care one way or the other.
 Slaterx
07-19-2010, 10:55 PM
We did? I think most people probably didn't care one way or the other.

I got thre impression form the forums and various other sources
 truJedi
07-19-2010, 11:21 PM
some do, some dont . i think he would look better if he held one normal and one backhanded. that woud be cool
p.s i like cheese
 deesnyder
07-20-2010, 7:27 AM
tfu 2 with the two back handed lightsabers looks really really dumb... this is why i always stress the point... LA never thinks outside the box....
 Slaterx
07-20-2010, 9:32 AM
some do, some dont . i think he would look better if he held one normal and one backhanded. that woud be cool
p.s i like cheese

Yeah now that would be cool and as for not thinking out side the Box..doesnt the fact that backhanded lightsabers Started in Tfu show creativity?
 deesnyder
07-21-2010, 4:00 AM
I would suggest multiple animations... Now that would be kick ass... If he's walking and wearing a robe, you could have him hold the lightsabers straight or if he was running, you could have him hold it swept back... And what "trujedi" states, now that would look good...
 deesnyder
07-21-2010, 4:02 AM
Yeah now that would be cool and as for not thinking out side the Box..doesnt the fact that backhanded lightsabers Started in Tfu show creativity?

Anakin's apprentice was known to have that stance... mace windu mastered the style... Also many jedi from the expanded universe also have that style... Its nothing new... It was all hyped up to make it look new...
 Zerimar Nyliram
07-21-2010, 8:34 PM
People need to stop moaning about the backhanded saber. It's a stylistic character stamp that didn't bother me in the first game. And while I confess that having two of them is a little bit much, ultimately, I think we'll live.
 deesnyder
07-22-2010, 12:37 AM
People need to stop moaning about the backhanded saber. It's a stylistic character stamp that didn't bother me in the first game. And while I confess that having two of them is a little bit much, ultimately, I think we'll live.

Well now if no one had anything to moan about, there wouldn't be any use for a forum right? :)
 Darca Lar
07-22-2010, 4:10 AM
I don't mind it because it makes him unique and it doesn't take away from gameplay. And if you're trying to complain that it isn't outside the box, this is a world in which people carry laser swords and can defy Einstein's famous equation by flying at lightspeed. I'd say Star Wars defines "outside the box".
 Las
07-22-2010, 4:57 PM
i find the backhanded saber being if not the only, at least one major annoyance factor in TFU I. changing the color of your saber in all honor, but it doesn't matter to me as being able to change your stance. me not giving a flying f*** about the expanded universe, i've never before TFU I seen anyone holding his saber backwards. and i don't like it.
 AlexDM
07-23-2010, 9:31 PM
- Most wouldn't use the backhand grip because it is risky, however if used correctly it does quick powerful slashes, blocking with a backhanded grip is usually the Negative which is why most would dodge instead of block X.x though I don't recall in any CG in TFU that Galen blocks with a backhand grip, so it does show that he switches styles from Offensive to defensive.

O and also...Revan supposedly used a Back-handed grip once.
 deesnyder
07-24-2010, 4:50 AM
- Most wouldn't use the backhand grip because it is risky, however if used correctly it does quick powerful slashes, blocking with a backhanded grip is usually the Negative which is why most would dodge instead of block X.x though I don't recall in any CG in TFU that Galen blocks with a backhand grip, so it does show that he switches styles from Offensive to defensive.

O and also...Revan supposedly used a Back-handed grip once.

What about all the quick time sequences with darth maul, vader, shaak ti, small duel with obi wan's holo in the beginning... There was also a cgi movie during the pre release days that also showed the final confrontation with vader where he blocks...
 AlexDM
07-24-2010, 5:00 PM
^ Like i said i "Don't remember" never said it didn't happen.
 Darca Lar
07-24-2010, 10:04 PM
i find the backhanded saber being if not the only, at least one major annoyance factor in TFU I. changing the color of your saber in all honor, but it doesn't matter to me as being able to change your stance. me not giving a flying f*** about the expanded universe, i've never before TFU I seen anyone holding his saber backwards. and i don't like it.

Actually you can see an extra in The Clone Wars using a backhand grip on Geonosis, and a couple other times here and there, more in particular with Anakin's apprentice in the cartoon network tv series. Plus, for someone like Starkiller who's supposedly mastered the backhand style, the unorthodox stance can have a pretty good advantage in a fight just like dual sabers or the famous double-bladed saber.
 deesnyder
07-26-2010, 8:31 AM
I for one feel that, since this game has a more darker setting in part 2 and seems a bit more mature... They should have given starkiller a vader like walking style while he holds both sabers facing front executing more powerful looking moves rather than quick slashing... Haden did mention that LA was looking fora more "strategic combat situation" obviously slowed down but stylish moves and combing the force with lightsaber attacks would have been the way to go... for eg: We have 4 stormtroopers... You slash the first one, block the second one's blaster fire and impale him, then swiftly lift the remaining 2 and fry them with lightning... a la arkham asylum style... Fluid combat and everything depends on your timing.
 Zwier Zak
07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I think the backhand lightsaber looks stupid. One of the many reasons I prefer the ps2 version.
 Darth Eclipse
07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
I think the backhand lightsaber looks stupid. One of the many reasons I prefer the ps2 version.

Are you kidding me? The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions have majorly improved graphics, DMM, Havok, and Euphoria.
 Las
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Are you kidding me? The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions have majorly improved graphics, DMM, Havok, and Euphoria.

some things matter more than graphics.
 Zerimar Nyliram
07-26-2010, 8:18 PM
I'm currently playing the PS2 version for the first time, and I greatly prefer the Xbox 360 version for many reasons other than graphics. This version feels like a bootleg knockoff whipped up in some guy's basement in Afghanistan. It is seriously very poorly and sloppily designed for a PS2 game of its generation, with the likes of God of War and other such titles. It's like the last-gen versions were an afterthought or something.
 mstr kenobi
07-27-2010, 2:14 AM
I for one feel that, since this game has a more darker setting in part 2 and seems a bit more mature... They should have given starkiller a vader like walking style while he holds both sabers facing front executing more powerful looking moves rather than quick slashing... Haden did mention that LA was looking fora more "strategic combat situation" obviously slowed down but stylish moves and combing the force with lightsaber attacks would have been the way to go... for eg: We have 4 stormtroopers... You slash the first one, block the second one's blaster fire and impale him, then swiftly lift the remaining 2 and fry them with lightning... a la arkham asylum style... Fluid combat and everything depends on your timing.

That would have been great!!
 Zwier Zak
07-27-2010, 8:44 AM
I'm currently playing the PS2 version for the first time, and I greatly prefer the Xbox 360 version for many reasons other than graphics. This version feels like a bootleg knockoff whipped up in some guy's basement in Afghanistan. It is seriously very poorly and sloppily designed for a PS2 game of its generation, with the likes of God of War and other such titles. It's like the last-gen versions were an afterthought or something.

I feel that way about the X-box, Ps3 and PC versions. The level design is unambitious and much more straight forward. And the game mechanics is very annoying.

Not to mention the 3 locations and extra boss fights we get on Ps2 (Jedi Temple, Nar Shaddaa, extended Bespin). Everything seems to develop much more, the story, the love interest, the Vader/Apprentice relationship.

Even the menus are better since they give the illusion of moving inside the ship.

Not to mention that when I change that pour excuse for a sith for a costume of Luke I don't need to see him hold his saber like a retard.

And it's pretty much clear that a former generation console will not look as good as the current gen.

Besides I'm not a sucker for graphics.
 deesnyder
07-28-2010, 2:52 AM
I feel that way about the X-box, Ps3 and PC versions. The level design is unambitious and much more straight forward. And the game mechanics is very annoying.

Not to mention the 3 locations and extra boss fights we get on Ps2 (Jedi Temple, Nar Shaddaa, extended Bespin). Everything seems to develop much more, the story, the love interest, the Vader/Apprentice relationship.

Even the menus are better since they give the illusion of moving inside the ship.

Not to mention that when I change that pour excuse for a sith for a costume of Luke I don't need to see him hold his saber like a retard.

And it's pretty much clear that a former generation console will not look as good as the current gen.

Besides I'm not a sucker for graphics.

To top it off... in the 360/pc/ps3 versions his feet never touch the floor in raxus prime(both levels), felucia, kashyyyk...
 Telagog
07-29-2010, 7:28 AM
i just don't like the way they're presenting it. It's quite obvious that you can only wield them ni this way, which if they fronted up and said 'yeah you can only do it this way again guys.' I would be fine with. But in interviews they specifically say 'Another NEW power you have is the POWER to wield two lightsabers.' No. that's not a new power.
 truJedi
07-29-2010, 6:16 PM
ggoossh stop crying about it lol. do you want some cheese with your whine ????
it isnt that bad guys, as if you arent glad you get to use TWO sabers in this one.
Its pretty awsome in itself :)
 Darca Lar
07-29-2010, 10:07 PM
AND not to mention...it's ANOTHER GAME?? I don't know about you but I'm psyched!
 truJedi
07-29-2010, 11:23 PM
eexxaacctttllyyyy !!!!!! :) although it would be cool if you could turn them on and off
whenever you wanted. like not having them on while your walking :P
 Zwier Zak
07-30-2010, 5:31 AM
eexxaacctttllyyyy !!!!!! :) although it would be cool if you could turn them on and off
whenever you wanted. like not having them on while your walking :P

this.
 adamqd
07-31-2010, 1:02 PM
I dont lose sleep over the Backwards Lightsaber's, although I would never use them that way if I had the Choice, what I do hate is the Hilt design... they look like some Toy R us age 3 and up things, they look Plastic with Glowy bits >>

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee283/tayloryea/craphilt.jpg)
 Ghost
07-31-2010, 4:27 PM
Like what some of the others said, the backwards style makes Galen unique, and not some standard generic Jedi...
 Zerimar Nyliram
07-31-2010, 10:36 PM
IAnd it's pretty much clear that a former generation console will not look as good as the current gen.

You're missing what I'm saying. I wasn't comparing the graphical quality to its next-gen counterparts, I was comparing it to other PS2 games from that time period. Considering the beautifully crafted games we had at our fingertips for several years up until that point, The Force Unleashed was a major sellout as a PS2 game.
 Zwier Zak
08-01-2010, 8:05 AM
You're missing what I'm saying. I wasn't comparing the graphical quality to its next-gen counterparts, I was comparing it to other PS2 games from that time period. Considering the beautifully crafted games we had at our fingertips for several years up until that point, The Force Unleashed was a major sellout as a PS2 game.

The graphics look very good compared to other ps2 games. :raise: :indif: or we own a different console.
 Zerimar Nyliram
08-01-2010, 2:13 PM
Ever played God of War? That's what comes to mind at the moment.

Hell, the first level of The Force Unleashed reminded me of a late-PS1 era game! Almost.
 deesnyder
08-02-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm cool with the lightsaber hilt's, but atleast include a saber on\off switch(if you're not doing anything about the stance that is)...
 JediAthos
08-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I personally like that backhanded grip...enough that I was going to have a Jedi in one of my fanfics use it, but I wrote about 2 chapters and haven't gone much further with the story :) lol...but anyway...yeah I like it, don't have a problem with it whatsoever.
 Zerimar Nyliram
08-02-2010, 6:36 PM
Now it seems Revan apparently used a backhanded lightsaber as well, during the events of Knights of the Old Republic. If you check the latest timeline entry on The Old Republic's website, you will see stills of this.

I didn't mind Galen's backhanded saber either, but this is getting a little out of hand.
 Zwier Zak
08-03-2010, 7:39 AM
Ever played God of War? That's what comes to mind at the moment.

Hell, the first level of The Force Unleashed reminded me of a late-PS1 era game! Almost.

:raise:

You can't be serious. God of war looks like crap compared to TFU on the ps2.
 The-Seraphim
08-03-2010, 9:22 AM
Tbh they kinda tied

http://www.godofwar2.com/Gallery/GodOfWar2/Image/Org/2006-07-11-11-40-56--God_Of_War_2---jpg.aspx)

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/885/885874/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080702024824160_640w.jpg)
But then you take into account that GoW came out 3 YEARS beofre TFU

Tfu has better textures but crap ass effects, while GoW has worse textures and better effects... wait isn't the main point of Tfu the force powers which are all EFFECTS? o_o
 Zwier Zak
08-03-2010, 4:50 PM
One way or another we are way of topic now.:¬:
 Zerimar Nyliram
08-04-2010, 4:51 AM
:raise:

You can't be serious. God of war looks like crap compared to TFU on the ps2.

Well, you definitely need your eyes checked.
 Zwier Zak
08-04-2010, 5:10 AM
Well, you definitely need your eyes checked.

No need for it. Just take a look.

This:

http://www.adriatiko.com/photos/products/0/3160/God-of-War-2-1.jpg)

Does not look better than this:

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/890/890203/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080715054823917.jpg)
 Prime
08-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Hate the backwards lightsaber, and hate having two of them even more.

Gimic, gimic, gimic.

And that's all I have to say about that. :)
 Zwier Zak
08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Hate the backwards lightsaber, and hate having two of them even more.

Gimic, gimic, gimic.

And that's all I have to say about that. :)

So says the evil Aku :thmbup1:
 GalenMarek
08-04-2010, 1:36 PM
that style was quiet cool in the first game, and it looks good. but it looks a bit weird with 2 sabers...
 Zerimar Nyliram
08-04-2010, 4:49 PM
No need for it. Just take a look.

This:

http://www.adriatiko.com/photos/products/0/3160/God-of-War-2-1.jpg)

Does not look better than this:

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/890/890203/star-wars-the-force-unleashed-20080715054823917.jpg)

Fair point. However, I don't recall God of War ever having a God-awful bright haze over the screen all the time and having characters in cutscenes move and talk like the game was made in 2001.
 Zwier Zak
08-05-2010, 4:25 AM
Fair point. However, I don't recall God of War ever having a God-awful bright haze over the screen all the time and having characters in cutscenes move and talk like the game was made in 2001.

I must agree about the cutscenes. They do come out rather stiff.
 JediAthos
08-05-2010, 5:30 AM
I must agree about the cutscenes. They do come out rather stiff.

Hence the reason I got rid of my PS2 long ago :) more specifically when Halo came out and I haven't gone back to Sony since, but that I think is another thread.

@topic: someone stated that the backhand grip with two lightsabers looked odd(I was too lazy to quote it) and I would tend to agree. I know I said that I didn't have a problem with it and I don't but with the two lightsaber thing maybe they should have done away with it...or at least given players the option to only have one lightsaber which from what I understand they do not
Page: 1 of 2