Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I am so grateful....

Page: 1 of 1
 Lord of Hunger
04-06-2010, 12:46 AM
that on this site we have a real life issues section where we are civil and most of the time the opinions that are posted are well-informed.

Has anyone ever just glanced at Yahoo! News' comment sections? Or read comments on a political video at Youtube? The things people say are beyond moronic at times, and I get the feeling that they are simply posting to reaffirm their opinion and boost their ego.
 Totenkopf
04-06-2010, 1:28 AM
Well, many blogsites aren't much better. It's no doubt partly due to the freedom anonymity brings to people who'd otherwise probably just keep their mouths shut.
 Darth Avlectus
04-06-2010, 1:37 AM
Yeah I'd have to agree for the most part. Yahoo's comments sections are a waste of time.

I seen kids asking for advice on real problems and then other anonymous people troll them. That ticks me off because for the few that are really just being brats, most of them are legitimately asking for advice and help--often with nowhere else to turn except the authorities.

News comments, I don't even bother to read that crap anymore. Occasionally McClatchy or the Huff-puff-blowington post make an article contribution or two that is extremely left biased--unlike the usual (and reasonably balanced) other contributors only somewhat either direction. I'm sure there are some far right equivalents there too, but I haven't seen them yet.

Problem is it's a relatively free country even on yahoo...or I guess internet.
True "It's the internet and not America" so the rights are not totally granted, but as was recently also pointed out to me, "there is no absolute guarantee of security" either.
In GENERAL, the reasonable right to free speech while watching for threats is status quo.

Smear and slander--those who have money can do it and fight against it, those who don't are left to the mercy of public and discretionary decency of those same people.

Yes, I am dearly thankful for Kavar's in this manner. It's a community, we all know of each other and it is a friendly voice. Occasionally it gets a little tense, admittedly.

One thing that this forum has taught me is to be more amused with (rather than irritated at) people with disagreements. Especially if they snap one another for seemingly insignificant details. It suits the more cynical sided types (a club of which yours truly is a member :p).

It's balanced politically and it is pretty civilized compared to other places where it's either a bedlam, or it is slanted severely one way or the other.
 True_Avery
04-06-2010, 2:32 AM
Personally Kavars and Senate are probably two of some of the worst -forum- behaved debate sections I've come across in my internet travel. Take in mind I said forum, and mean it more in the way that this section exists in a forum whose topic... is Star Wars. I think you get what I mean.

The place has definitely boiled down to a fraction of what it was even a year and a half ago, but I still find the general attitude of this section to be pretty sh***y to be honest, and overall detrimental to the forums health but hey, that's just me.

That said, yes its still better than Yahoo, AOL (formerly; they turned off the comments section because AOL is full of extremist... everything), youtube, and so on. Thankfully, as has been said, we have a community that knows each other so we have to be a little more careful since anonymity isn't entirely on our side. That said, its pretty clear that a few of us hate a few of the others and some truly dumb crap is thrown around here plenty.

that on this site we have a real life issues section where we are civil and most of the time the opinions that are posted are well-informed.
Are we watching the same forum? Granted, we're better than youtube or Yahoo but still :p
 Tommycat
04-06-2010, 8:27 AM
I've seen worse forums, and better behaved forums. If you REALLY think that it's civil, you must have missed a few of the debates. The fact that it is as civil as it is really becomes a "hats off" to the moderating team here. A couple of members are forbidden to post here(at least one that I know of) and several people have earned themselves perma-bans for their behavior. It's civil because our moderating team has made it so. The whole reason we have the "Hot Topics" section is because of how heated Kavar's got before. Kavar's was nearly shut down because of the uncivil behavior in here.
 Darth333
04-06-2010, 11:09 PM
That said, yes its still better than Yahoo, AOL (formerly; they turned off the comments section because AOL is full of extremist... everything), youtube, and so on. No one can control everything. The mods are doing their best but as far as I have seen, the current forums are pretty civil, or at least they are in comparison to any public media where real names are written down, regardless of whether or not the story is true or false. Public media publishing real names can really throw a life down, even if public excuses are made later on. At least here it is anonymity an no real damage can be done
(other than wanting to promote civil discussions on the boards, I don't really personally give a s**t if someone says d3 is a - *insert whatever insult you want here...really, do your worst if you so wish and enjoy it!...*- ).

Anyway, I am all for respect and hope posters here want that too. By respect, I also mean being able to tolerate different ideas and ways of thinking and agree to disagree in a civil manner, without assuming the worst from each other.

That said, its pretty clear that a few of us hate a few of the others and some truly dumb crap is thrown around here plenty. It would be nice if some posters could forgive each other sometimes and grow up some tolerance instead of always poking each other with a stick just to see another's reaction (it does appear to me that some enjoy doing the latter). Otherwise, you end up with ridiculous unending feuds like along the lines of: oh! I have the right to kill your chicken because your great-grandfather killed my grandfather's donkey! Instead of assuming bad intentions from each side, some posters should take some time to cool down and ask civil questions that are not meant to provoke but give others a fair opportunity to explain what they meant in an open manner.

Some other times one also has to accept someone else's answer (as long as not illegal...and if it is, simply report it to a mod ), as shocking as it can be to their way of thinking, will not change, regardless of the arguments... different opinions will always exist and be expressed, no matter what is said or for whatever reasons and it is entirely "normal" (I really love how "la normalite" - the normality - and "l'anormalite" -the abnormality - sound the same in French! ). Not being able to share opposing ideas or opinions at all is far worse than having the opportunity to disagree in a civil way, as frustrating as it can be sometimes (and how much tempting old cavern style skull bashing can be :p Heck, if we would always agree with each other I'd bet we would likely still all believe the Earth is flat...or worse... :whacked: ).

Posters should accept that and do their best to express their opinions in a respectful way that takes into consideration the (very likely) existence of other point of views. When moderators have to answer to the "How to put an end to the truly dumb crap " question or come to this conclusion (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/double-facepalm.jpg) it is very rarely a good thing and, save exception, everyone loses.

Just my 0.02$
 mimartin
04-07-2010, 12:28 AM
that on this site we have a real life issues section where we are civil and most of the time the opinions that are posted are well-informed.Thanks from one of the moderating team in Kavars, but I would advise, like everything else on the internet, that you research a subject of interest yourself before coming to any decision. Take opinions with a grain of salt (especially mine) and decide for yourself what your opinion is.
It's civil because our moderating team has made it so. Thanks, but of course I disagree with you. :xp: Kavars has became more civil because most of the members make it so. Thanks to all of you I have more time to play video games.
 Tommycat
04-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks, but of course I disagree with you. :xp: Kavars has became more civil because most of the members make it so. Thanks to all of you I have more time to play video games.

Sorry, but you're wrong. The moderating team created the environment that fostered more civil discussion. Had the moderating team not stepped in when they did(shutting kavars down) and essentially telling us, "BEHAVE YOU PRICKS! Or we'll turn this forum right around an NOBODY is getting ice cream" this place could have been like one of the more aggressive forums.
 mimartin
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Sorry, but you're wrong.Maybe we are both right? Although on the staff side the credit should mainly go to Darth333, Jae Onasi, jonathan7 and Samuel Dravis. We can warn, infract and ban, but none of that means anything if the members don’t heed those warning, infractions and bans. So it is a two way street.

I also think a lot of credit should go to the Presidential election being over. :D

Maybe most of the credit should go there
 Tommycat
04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Maybe we are both right? Although on the staff side the credit should mainly go to Darth333, Jae Onasi, jonathan7 and Samuel Dravis. We can warn, infract and ban, but none of that means anything if the members don’t heed those warning, infractions and bans. So it is a two way street.

I also think a lot of credit should go to the Presidential election being over. :D

Maybe most of the credit should go there

I would say that the election had a good deal to do with it, forcibly removing a couple of very hostile members(ones hostile to other members and to the staff), and others, myself included, taking a deep breath and relaxing a bit.
 urluckyday
04-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I think it's great that we can all find a common interest in Lucas-something and then have a place to talk about serious topics, and I think that the vast majority of the people on this part of the forum are mature enough not to start flame wars...I may not agree w/ all of you, but I enjoy the points/counter-points presented.
 ChAiNz.2da
04-08-2010, 1:23 PM
I don't really personally give a s**t if someone says d3 is a - *insert whatever insult you want here...really, do your worst if you so wish and enjoy it!...

oh D3 why dost thou tempt me so! :conspire:

Cz wanders off to ponder on tempting the fates....
 Arcesious
04-08-2010, 11:33 PM
So far this is the 2nd most civil forum I've ever been on (IMO), after Bethesda Softworks forums.
 Sabretooth
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
So far this is the 2nd most civil forum I've ever been on (IMO), after Bethesda Softworks forums.

I bet their conversations are all based on keywords.

:lol:

>_>
<_<
 Darth333
04-09-2010, 7:21 PM
oh D3 why dost thou tempt me so! :conspire:

Cz wanders off to ponder on tempting the fates....
oooooh! Go ahead!...

*D3 to herself with finger twitching right over the ban button*: Muahahaha! Someone finally fell into the trap! :dev7: ~ j/k of course :)

As soon as the word "politics" or "religion" is pronounced they close the thread...it's an easy but boring way out IMHO. I personally far more prefer to encourage discussion on all topics in a civilized way. We have people from all over the world here so why not use the chance to hear different POVs if they can be presented in a respectful manner?
 Pavlos
04-10-2010, 5:07 AM
I bet their conversations are all based on keywords.

:lol:

>_>
<_<
Joke.
Funny.
Mudcrabs.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
04-10-2010, 9:28 AM
i saw some mudcrabs down by the water today
 Pho3nix
04-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I personally far more prefer to encourage discussion on all topics in a civilized way.
Indeed, ditto. Only problem is that people aren't civilized, so we really can't assume that a discussion on religion / politics doesn't at some point turn into a flamefest

I'm all for letting people vent and call each other names though, I've never liked the fact that comments get deleted at Kavar's
Page: 1 of 1