Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How do you feel about Monkey Island 2: Special Edition?

Page: 1 of 1
 Gabez
03-22-2010, 2:40 PM
In case you hadn't already heard, LucasArts are bringing out a "special edition" of their classic 1991 adventure game, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge.

This will feature developer commentary, a concept art viewer, and the choice of playing the original as God intended (in all its pixelated glory), or with new high resolution graphics, new high quality music, and new voices (the original was made before voices were invented).

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland2/)
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
03-22-2010, 2:49 PM
I haven't played it before! But I have been wanting too! What systems is it for?
 mimartin
03-22-2010, 3:04 PM
Angry! Why are LucasArts spending time on these old games when they should be redoing the old games I love like TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Dark Forces.... Fixed
 Gabez
03-22-2010, 3:11 PM
I haven't played it before! But I have been wanting too! What systems is it for?

PSN, XBLA, Mac, iPhone, and PC (digital download).

I think Monkey Island 2 is one of those games that people have been meaning to play because it's so famous, and so highly rated (like The Secret of Monkey Island which got a special edition last year) -- and a special edition will make the original game more accessible (especially for modern players).

@mimartin: that would be cool too. I think there's good potential in special editions in general.
 Darth Avlectus
03-22-2010, 6:11 PM
Angry! Why are LucasArts spending time on these old games when they should be redoing the old games I love like TIE Fighter, X-Wing, Dark Forces.... Fixed

Yeah. Now THERE we go.

Not to pass insult to the monkey island people here but...I never played it... :(
 Jeff
03-22-2010, 7:17 PM
It saddens me to see "Meh" in the lead. :( I can't wait! It looks like it will be everything the first game's SE should have been and more.
 Samuel Dravis
03-22-2010, 8:28 PM
I'll be getting this ASAP. I've played this and almost all of the MI games, and the SE of Secret was fun. I'd rather they do Monkey Island than flash games!
 jrrtoken
03-22-2010, 8:41 PM
As much as I like Monkey Island, LucasArts needs to move on with newer properties... that are actually good.
 LordOfTheFish
03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
I've yet to play Monkey Island, so where are my lightsabers?
 Ser'eck
03-23-2010, 5:33 AM
I'm upset that LA has so much potential to create 10/10 rated games but they never really do.
 Pho3nix
03-23-2010, 7:41 AM
Played it as a kid but haven't touched it since, probably won't buy it :p
 Alexrd
03-23-2010, 9:34 AM
Excited!!! I’ll get my copy as soon as a retail version comes out.

Anyway, voted for the first option.
 ChAiNz.2da
03-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Will definitely get it. I have the Monkey Island SE for xbox and the hi-res/voice additions make the game hella fun(ny) to play.

It also has the retro version 'wayback machine' option to play it in it's old-school pixelated glory. If MI2 is as good (if not better) then it'll be worth a few of my bucks :D
 Gabez
03-23-2010, 2:49 PM
@ChAiNz.2da: It's widely agreed (well, amongst Monkey Island fans) that Monkey Island 2 is not just better than Monkey Island 1 (which is saying a lot), but that Monkey Island 2 is also one of the best games ever made.

We're all in with a treat with the SE, but especially the people who haven't played it before!!
 ChAiNz.2da
03-23-2010, 4:20 PM
@ChAiNz.2da: It's widely agreed (well, amongst Monkey Island fans) that Monkey Island 2 is not just better than Monkey Island 1 (which is saying a lot), but that Monkey Island 2 is also one of the best games ever made.

We're all in with a treat with the SE, but especially the people who haven't played it before!!

Well now I'm definitely excited.. hehehe. I've always enjoyed the MI original (on pc), so I had to get the xbox version just for giggles. Turns out the SE really brought a whole new experience. While I know being a rookie to the part 2 of the series is going to be awesome for me.. I'll definitely be interested to see how the veterans like the SE additions (graphics/audio/etc.).

Looks like it's going to be a game to keep an eye on in the near future ;)
I need to go forum section hopping more often.. hehehe.
 bakana
03-23-2010, 7:16 PM
The options seem to assume that if you're not super excited about this, you're not a fan of Monkey Island (or even worse, are just a fan of LucasArts' torrent of crummy Star Wars games).

There's no option for "This is my favorite video game series, and I was appalled by the disservice done to it by the previous Special Edition. This one looks a bit better, but I wouldn't call myself excited for it."
 Gabez
03-23-2010, 7:22 PM
@bakana: now there is.

Polls that ask for your opinion on something are difficult to represent all the options that people feel, but you can always suggest another option for me to add.
 Threepwood4life
03-23-2010, 7:35 PM
I think its great they're giving the old titles a new lease of life especially Monkey Island which was responsible for helping LucasArts create a legacy and beyond. To be honest LucasArts should give Star Wars a break for the time been its been done to death a lot now for the past decade, the franchise has been milked to its foundations and it feels like its collapsing in on itself and 60% of the titles aren't all that great.

Force Unleashed 2 and Old Republic will be awesome no doubt but after that it should be given a breather for a year or two, it gives them time to come up with fresh ideas and to create new franchises that will bring a new legion of fans and to what LucasArts can offer other than just that one franchise they always rely upon.
 rafster
03-23-2010, 8:18 PM
I absolutely, positively cannot wait. And I'm a Mac user to boot. Played MI2 on the Mac, and will be replaying the Special Edition on the Mac. Psyched. This game defined after school during my early teens.
 Sabretooth
03-24-2010, 12:20 AM
As much as I like Monkey Island, LucasArts needs to move on with newer properties... that are actually good.

This.

The HD version of Monkey Island was like watching a black-and-white film transformed into colour, it's pleasing but doesn't feel right. The ancient graphics were special.

There's really so much immense potential in Star Wars games that LA isn't exploiting. Would it really hurt to make a real Jedi game in the vein of the Jedi Knight series and not TFU? Or a first-person shooter like Republic Commando?
 Alexrd
03-24-2010, 6:27 AM
I'm still waiting for a "Grim Fandango: Special Edition" and a new Jedi Knight game.
 BloodnoseThePirate
03-24-2010, 10:42 AM
ive been a lucas arts fan for a while but have only tried the star wars games but none were particularly good besides kotor. when the special edition came out i tried the original monkey island, then monkey island 2 then curse of monkey island, then sam and max. i couldnt get enough and now i suggest the classic lucasarts games to all of my friends. cant wait for special edition 2.
 Alexrd
03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
ive been a lucas arts fan for a while but have only tried the star wars games but none were particularly good besides kotor.

The Jedi Knight saga. Also, you need to try Grim Fandango.
 Gabez
03-24-2010, 2:17 PM
Welcome to the forums, rafster!

There's really so much immense potential in Star Wars games that LA isn't exploiting. Would it really hurt to make a real Jedi game in the vein of the Jedi Knight series and not TFU? Or a first-person shooter like Republic Commando?

Yeah, I agree with this. I would like a game where you play a young Yoda. There's such a lot of potential for storytelling in the Star Wars universe. To be faair Kotor and Jedi Knight did good jobs of exploiting that rich background though.
 Jenni
03-25-2010, 2:01 AM
I can't wait for Monkey Island 2. The special editions are worth it just for the voice acting alone. :)

Oh, and to answer your question: the lightsabers are in Monkey Island 3. ;)
 QueZTone
03-25-2010, 3:45 AM
Monkey Island 2 SE will be awesome.

Also I hope the success of the SE's are incentive for more story telling games by LucasArts. Although I also enjoy simplistic but aesthetically designed games such as Lucidity. A game like Machinarium showed - like lucasarts has done so often with their past franchises - that all it takes is a great idea/setting to make a beautiful game.

Yes, join the reboot of the adventure genre, LucasArts!
 Murray-Mint
03-25-2010, 9:56 AM
Can't wait for the special edition. One of the best games ever created with updated graphics, music and audio? What's not to like?

Of course, after this they should move on to either Day of the Tentacle or Fate of Atlantis :)
 BloodnoseThePirate
03-26-2010, 9:41 AM
Can't wait for the special edition. One of the best games ever created with updated graphics, music and audio? What's not to like?

Of course, after this they should move on to either Day of the Tentacle or Fate of Atlantis :)

i think day of the tentacle still holds up pretty good because of the artistic design but fate of atlantis would be awesome!!
 ThunderPeel2001
03-27-2010, 8:45 AM
Not sure about the choices... they kind of force you to vote a certain way.
 Gabez
03-27-2010, 8:59 AM
Isn't that in the nature of a poll? That you vote in a certain way?

If you have an opinion that isn't represented, posted here, and I'll add it.
 Valkian
03-27-2010, 8:04 PM
Yeah, where is the option "Monkey what?? give me Thrillville 3 dammit!" ?

No, just kidding, I'm all for MI2:SE. Although I don't personally regard it as being better than MI1. The simplicity of the first Monkey Island had a special appeal to me that I didn't found in the sequel, but I acknowledge that Monkey Island 2 has THE BEST ENDING OF ALL THE VIDEOGAMES IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND (including Tetris..., what? have you not ever finished Tetris?).
 Bokken
03-28-2010, 11:43 AM
I never played them, but they don't look at all appealing. From what I've seen, they look like they're targeted at a much younger playerbase.
 Samuel Dravis
03-28-2010, 12:12 PM
I never played them, but they don't look at all appealing. From what I've seen, they look like they're targeted at a much younger playerbase.I'm not sure I would classify them like that. While it is kid-friendly, it's certainly not mindless about it. As an adult myself I've never found them obviously targeted at kids, and in that respect they're quite like Telltale's Sam and Max.
 Gabez
03-28-2010, 12:50 PM
The art style for the first Monkey Island SE was designed to look a bit like a children's storybook... this is actually not to do with the way the game is aimed. The series, and the first two games in particular, very cleverly play with the idea of childhood imagination mixed in with references to pop culture including Star Wars.

A worthy comparison is to the best episodes of The Simpsons, at least in terms of writing. A child could play and enjoy the Monkey Island series (and many have) but there are many many layers that appeal directly to adults.

If the series did have a main target, it is to adults who have the childlike alive within them... and children who are mature.
 Q
04-01-2010, 8:48 PM
Yoda. :indif:
 Allronix
04-13-2010, 2:21 AM
Monkey Island had such a wicked sense of humor, and I think a break from Star Wars might do some good. I'm cautiously optimistic here.
Page: 1 of 1