Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Old Republic is EA's Biggest Project Ever

Page: 1 of 1
 News
03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Speaking in New York today, EA Chief Banker Eric Brown described the development of Star Wars: The Old Republic as “largest ever development project, period, in the history of the company.” More cash is going into this game than any other before it at EA.He went on to say that a typical packaged game [...]

Read the full story at starwarsmmo.net... (http://www.starwarsmmo.net/news/the-old-republic-is-eas-biggest-project-ever/)
 Gurges-Ahter
03-11-2010, 2:51 PM
Although we all already assumed it, I think this all but assures there will be a monthly fee.

I hope it also translates into a well-put together package.
 jrrtoken
03-11-2010, 3:43 PM
This equates to either a massive success or a poor investment, which can go either way now, frankly.
 adamqd
03-11-2010, 4:59 PM
Although we all already assumed it, I think this all but assures there will be a monthly fee.

I hope it also translates into a well-put together package.

There was never a doubt in my mind, even before announcement that it wouldn't be pay to Play... I mean, there are MMO's that I pay to play.. That SUCK tbh, I cant imagine any level of quality or support from a free MMO, never entered my head. in fact, if it was free to Play I wouldn't play, because I know how crap it would be.
 Gurges-Ahter
03-11-2010, 5:43 PM
There was never a doubt in my mind, even before announcement that it wouldn't be pay to Play... I mean, there are MMO's that I pay to play.. That SUCK tbh, I cant imagine any level of quality or support from a free MMO, never entered my head. in fact, if it was free to Play I wouldn't play, because I know how crap it would be.

I agree - I don't think there was ever any doubt in most people's minds - but LA has skirted the question so far saying that they haven't decided yet.
 True_Avery
03-12-2010, 1:02 AM
I can only assume that this may be the most expensive at launch MMO ever, if no up there as one of the most expensive games ever made. If they really intend to go full voice the bill should be quite, quite large.

Real risk on their part. Most MMOs, like a presidency, are pretty much defined by their first 100 days and, past that, if it has not picked up by a year it simply dies. Hope they know what they're doing with this one.

But yeah, at this point there is absolutely no doubt this will be pay to play.
 Gurges-Ahter
03-12-2010, 10:28 AM
I agree that it's risky, but I think LA has done a good job building some hype for the game and getting most SW gaming fans interested, and convinced that it won't be a Galaxies redux.

The Deceived cinematic trailer generated lots of buzz. I hope they release another trailer similar to that one.

So I think the initial launch will be successful, and it will then be the quality of the game that decides whether or not people will stick around after the critical 100 day period Avery referenced.
 Web Rider
03-12-2010, 3:45 PM
Assuming it's not the buggiest game since Champions Online, their launch should go smoothly I imagine, I'm still hoping they'll break the mold of the $14.99 monthly fee. I'm all for MTs over monthlies, but I'd like to see someone do a 9.99 monthly fee, it would just seem more reasonable.
 Darth Avlectus
03-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Apparently they're still doing nicely elsewhere, I mean that if they have released ME2, and Dragon Age of late. So I'm impressed they aren't suffering from the "all your eggs in one basket" problem. If enough people I know are going to do it, and I like what I see maybe 6-18 months in, I might consider doing this. That's right, you heard it here first amid all those slightly negative comments and tons of "meh-neutral lolz" comments, one positive finally breaks day. So I might try it out if it looks promising enough, long enough after release.

This all remains to be seen, however. They may be putting on the brakes on this one for the time being. Didn't they just postpone and push back the release date a little further? Well, whatever. It'll be what it will be.
 dswtor
07-22-2010, 7:23 PM
apparently they have spent over like 300 million dollars making this game.
Page: 1 of 1