Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Monkey Island 2: Le Chuck's Revenge: Special Edition

Page: 1 of 1
 Alexrd
03-11-2010, 9:29 AM
 TalynBigfoot
07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
And here we are a few months later. Just got it, played it, and beat it... :-D DEFINITELY worth it!
 gazzalfc
07-08-2010, 4:10 AM
Playing it on the iphone now.

Few criticisms

No intro - what the f***! the intro was one of the best bits of the original

Poor translation of the iMuse system - This was explained during the trailer and that is the limitations of using digital music but the music when swapping between rooms just isn't seamless as the original

Massive lag when exiting rooms - Can be really noticable when playing and does take you out of the game

I'm sure some of these will change with updates but it really is a quality game. Surprised at how much i remembered from the last time I played
 Mau1wurf1977
07-20-2010, 2:18 AM
Finished MI2 SE yesterday and I loved it.

Yes iMuse is gone, BUT the music is of higher quality (even in the classic version). I also found iMuse a bit of waste in an adventure game. It was much more useful in games such as Tie Fighter.

No lag between rooms on my PC though.

Also the controls are much better than MI1 SE. I couldn't finish that title because of the controls.
 sad_muso
07-23-2010, 8:19 AM
Finished MI2 SE yesterday and I loved it.

Yes iMuse is gone, BUT the music is of higher quality (even in the classic version). I also found iMuse a bit of waste in an adventure game. It was much more useful in games such as Tie Fighter.

No lag between rooms on my PC though.

Also the controls are much better than MI1 SE. I couldn't finish that title because of the controls.

WH-WH-WHAT?!?!? That's one of the best features of MI2!
 Ray Jones
07-29-2010, 6:24 PM
indeed
 Mau1wurf1977
09-19-2010, 2:26 PM
LOL that's funny...

The designers themselves mentioned that nobody noticed iMuse :-)
 Huz
05-13-2014, 7:06 PM
No intro in the special edition. A tragic day for mankind.
 Artisa
05-15-2014, 5:13 PM
Is there supposed to be another intro other than Guybrush hanging over a pit of doom? :confused:
 Huz
05-15-2014, 5:51 PM
I mean the title sequence with the dancing monkeys and the bits of old map interspersed with the credits. You know, only the best game intro to date!

You can still see it if you switch back to ye olde graphickes mode, but a special edition makeover would've been nice. :(
 Artisa
05-15-2014, 5:57 PM
Ohhh yeaaaah! Didn't they replace it with the lucasarts logo man chasing away the monkeys or something?
 Huz
05-15-2014, 6:09 PM
Yeah. Or the LucasArts logo being shocked by monkeys. Which, in their defence, was an excellent bit of animation.
 Artisa
05-15-2014, 6:17 PM
Oh wait wait I remember - it was the lucasarts logo shooing away the monkeys, doing a little dance, then being shocked into logo mode by the monkeys a second later! :D

And in the original it was Guybrush, no? :D
 Huz
05-15-2014, 6:24 PM
The original just had Guybrush shooing monkeys away. Twice!
 Artisa
05-15-2014, 6:28 PM
They changed part of that animation into the loading icon :xp:
 Huz
05-15-2014, 6:28 PM
I always preferred the flashing animation. :(
 Artisa
05-15-2014, 6:40 PM
Flashing?
 Huz
05-16-2014, 6:58 PM
Size matters.
 Artisa
05-16-2014, 9:04 PM
Oh God!! :rofl:

I just had to save that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Priceless!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Actually reminded me of that MI2 blooper reel I saw on i-mockery once!! :giggle1:

Edit: Here http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/monkeyisland2-outtakes/)
 Huz
05-17-2014, 9:11 AM
Hah! That is excellent.

I can't believe I've never seen it before, considering that web page looks like it's come straight out of the Mysts o' Tyme.
 Artisa
05-17-2014, 8:57 PM
I can't believe you haven't seen it either! That's MY job! :giggle1: Surprised but glad it's still there for the world to see though! :D There are a couple of other MI flashies linked there in that page too but this one's the best! :rofl:

I can't remember how to unlock the four or so extra outtakes (I think you can google it) but you HAVE to see them, there's this BRILLIANT wedding outtake that had me laughing for days!! :rofl:
 Huz
05-20-2014, 4:31 PM
Haha! You're right. The wedding scene is excellent.

It was also the last hidden scene I found, but I'm glad I persevered.

If you guys are reeaaally good I might post how to get to the hidden scenes. Yes! That's right! Someone other than Artisa and I has to come into this thread and BEG! ON YOUR KNEES! Or just ask nicely, or to be honest just post a load of links to watching films for free online, I'm not fussy.

And if that doesn't get some life into this thread, nothing will.
 Artisa
05-21-2014, 2:42 PM
I'm impressed you managed to find it on your own! :D I'm pretty sure I cheated :giggle1: Guess it doesn't matter now cos I forgot how to unlock them so I can discover it on my own this time :halo2:

or to be honest just post a load of links to watching films for free online, I'm not fussy.

I'd find it really funny if a spam account actually replied to that.
 RoyTordesLegend
05-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Well, I still prefer the old blocky VGA graphics, they have a certain charm to them.

For me, the special editions are what Monkey Island 3 and 4 should have been like, just a light high res makeover with the same style and proportions. That would have been happy days.
 Huz
05-22-2014, 2:06 PM
I think the style of Curse of Monkey Island took advantage of the increased resolution available really well. It wasn't that different to the original games, just more stylised.

Painting higher definition graphics over the top of the original stuff in the two Special Editions didn't really work very well for me, although the second game was much better than the first! They looked that way because you couldn't get them any better at the time, so sticking to the same style at higher resolution just turned out looking a bit weird.
 Skinkie
05-22-2014, 6:05 PM
I love the art in CMI, lots of beautiful animation.
 Huz
05-22-2014, 8:26 PM
That, Skinkie, it what we call a true fact.
 Artisa
05-23-2014, 5:16 AM
Agreed, CMI was pretty! :heart3:

Agreed, EMI should've been the same. :dozey:
 Skinkie
05-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Yes, EMI, did uh... not age well
 Alexrd
05-23-2014, 1:31 PM
They looked that way because you couldn't get them any better at the time, so sticking to the same style at higher resolution just turned out looking a bit weird.

You mean the look or the animations?
 Huz
05-23-2014, 3:59 PM
The character animations, I guess. For the backgrounds, I'd have been happy if they'd just rescanned the original artwork at new improved Special Edition resolution.
 Artisa
05-23-2014, 4:26 PM
And why did they make Guybrush really short for that game? :lol:

Artwork aside, I distinctly remember cursing the controls too :¬: Monkey Island had always been point n' click until EMI...
 Huz
05-27-2014, 6:34 PM
Somehow the controls worked even less well in Escape From Monkey Island than they did in Grim Fandango, despite having some refinements like the name of the thing you were looking at being printed on the screen, and being able to flip your attention between items by pressing a button.

The fact that Grim Fandango was otherwise excellent probably helped reduce the frustration caused by the controls, mind you. Escape started quite well but... :(
 Alexrd
05-28-2014, 6:28 AM
The character animations, I guess.

But that was made in order to make the one-click transition to the original possible.
 OzzieMonkey
06-28-2014, 7:49 AM
Yo, me hearties! I don't think I've ever been to this area of LucasForums before ( I've tended to stick around Mixnmojo mainly). So...yeah, the special editions. I like them, but I can't help but feel let down by them also. Personally, the biggest selling point was the voice-over, so when I play the series I go with the Ultimate Talkie Editions in order to get good old pixel art goodness with the new speech. I wouldn't be against seeing a remastering/widescreen support for Curse and Escape though, especially if Grim Fandango Remastered (holy cow, that's happening?!) does well. Escape would be great for a remastering just so the controls can be tightened up and fix that wretched Monkey Combat!
 Artisa
06-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Man I'm up for anything that implies more Monkey Island goodness! :D :D :D I have more hope for it now that they're doing Grim Fandango, means Disney's interested in all the LucasArts stuff it got a hold of! :D

Lol, if you want more MI forum action, Ye Olde Harbour is the place to be! :shads3:
 RoyTordesLegend
07-01-2014, 12:40 PM
good old pixel art goodness

I gave a happy nostalgic sigh at this point.
 Huz
07-01-2014, 1:49 PM
Would an overhaul to the graphics and control system make Escape From Monkey Island good? I don't know. Maaaaybe. It's definitely got some very good bits.
 RoyTordesLegend
07-01-2014, 3:23 PM
I seem to recall Escape being during that period late 90's early 2000's where everything had to be 3D. I hated it, most 3D games of the period had ****ty looking graphics....but 3D!
 Artisa
07-02-2014, 2:23 PM
Agreed, I was so anti 3D where Monkey Island was concerned. It wasn't nearly as swashbuckling as the blurb made it out to be :P
 Ray Jones
07-06-2014, 6:47 AM
I still can't deal with the giant monkey head being a robot in EMI. And since we already have an pretty good 3D in the tales, there's only two things left for a remake of EMI: controls (point'n'click) and ... the story. ^^

I'm really happy with the special editions, though. The music is fabulous, and the whole game has lost nothing of its flair. Sometimes I can't decide between old style and new style graphics. It would have been cool to add the voicing to the old style in SoMI:SE, too, however.
 RoyTordesLegend
07-07-2014, 1:17 PM
While I think the Special Editions did a really great job in updating the original games so that a new generation could enjoy them without the peer pressure of being ridiculed for liking something so old decrepit, I do prefer the VGA originals....especially the one I first played on the Amiga with the text descriptions of items.

Maybe I'm just overly nostalgic.
 Ray Jones
07-08-2014, 2:02 AM
Nah, you're right. I even listen to the Amiga soundtrack sometimes. But what they did with the MI2 soundtrack is simply amazing.
 RoyTordesLegend
07-08-2014, 4:52 AM
I've just realised, I mixed my VGA and Amiga, I fancy another Amiga, I really do, I tried playing on one at the North East Retro Gaming event on Sunday and it was knacked. Everything else worked though, which was pleasing.
Page: 1 of 1