Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What do you call your hot water bottle?

Page: 2 of 2
 Darth Avlectus
03-05-2010, 4:29 AM
But what's the fun in that? You aren't wasting any amount of money on an item just to make yourself look... like a douchebag. :indif:

No, I don't like the concept of a snuggie. Hot water bottle sounds immensely better and I had never seen one, (let alone heard of it) b4 this thread.
 Darth333
03-05-2010, 7:52 PM
Depends where you live...if I weren't "keeping the heating on all night, damaging the environment", I'd be dead in the morning and the "hot water bottle" and/or the "real person" would turn into a popsicle as well...they're announcing -31C (-42C with wind factor) where I will be tomorrow and next week :p
 Darth Avlectus
03-05-2010, 11:36 PM
For those Americans, uber-noobz, or too lazy to convert celsius to farenheit, D3 will be in temperatures that convert to -24F (-44F wind chill). Wow. That's the kind of cold that you could outside walk down the street fully clothed and you'd *still* feel naked. The *worst* it gets in some places around me is about -13F (-25C) to -20F (-29C). Thankfully it's only about freezing point at my current whereabouts.

So. Cal was so nice and sunny... :(
 Gabez
03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Wow... -31! That's got to be the North Pole, surely? Or the dark side of the moon?

GTA:SWcity: I wonder if a hot water bottle is good for the lungs? Because you can move it to wherver you want and keep it over your chest to keep it warm. Then again, what works for one person might not work for other people. Your story of sleeping rough sound horrific, but it made me think of how past experiences affect the way you sleep in later life. My dad didn't have heating as a child and (possibly) as a result of this he often sleeps with the window open, because he's become used to cold bedrooms. Or maybe he's just mad.

For the people who think a hot water bottle is old fashioned: actually, a hotty botty is a modern technological marvel. If you go back to the 1800s then I think you'd have a metal cask with hot coals in (as featured in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie; the coals were then dropped on Mackenzie Crook's face). I was once in a room at an old people's home, where we were discussing how they slept as children. Many people had hot bricks from the oven, or even the grill from the oven, still warm from the evening meal, heating up their bed -- and with their sisters and brothers in the bed too!
 Rogue Nine
03-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Wow... -31! That's got to be the North Pole, surely? Or the dark side of the moon?
FYI: Darth333 is a polar bear.

I have also come up with a name for my hot water bottle. I have dubbed it "Botty Too Hotty."
 Hallucination
03-06-2010, 4:31 PM
FYI: Darth333 is a polar bear.
ITT: Rogue Nine calls D333 fat.
 Darth333
03-07-2010, 1:51 PM
Wow... -31! That's got to be the North Pole, surely? Or the dark side of the moon?It is well within the Arctic circle (aver. yearly temp. of −17 °C )...

Still even at my "usual" location (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) I don't know of anyone using hot water bottles... not only it would be very uncomfortable (and deadly) during wintertime but water pipes & al would also freeze.

That's the kind of cold that you could outside walk down the street fully clothed and you'd *still* feel naked.Fortunately, it is a "dry" cold and if one is well dressed (no matter what some people say, nothing stops the cold as white goose down and sealskin mitts - crappy synthetic stuff feels like paper and the constant wind just gets through - ) the cold doesn't penetrate the clothing and it can be far more comfortable than at higher temps with humidity.

ITT: Rogue Nine calls D333 fat. I still have a lot of catching up to do to survive at those temps like polar bears do :p
 Darth Avlectus
03-07-2010, 3:28 PM
GTA:SWcity: I wonder if a hot water bottle is good for the lungs? Because you can move it to wherver you want and keep it over your chest to keep it warm. Then again, what works for one person might not work for other people. Your story of sleeping rough sound horrific, but it made me think of how past experiences affect the way you sleep in later life. My dad didn't have heating as a child and (possibly) as a result of this he often sleeps with the window open, because he's become used to cold bedrooms. Or maybe he's just mad.

I'm sort of the same way. I can handle cold if it's inside air. Not always opening a window: Dry sharp outside air makes you prone to cutting sinus infection, wet air tends to exacerbate the temp. hot or cold.

The semi-asthma is mild to moderate. It comes back at any time regardless of weather unfortunately. Usually only attacks when I sleep.

However, due to this I am more weak in any case (asleep or awake) against fluid in the lungs be it drainage or pneumonia. I'm ok when the lungs are normal, but with fluid buildup, anything below 10F is crippling b/c I can't stop coughing.
 Gabez
03-07-2010, 3:42 PM
Still even at my "usual" location (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) I don't know of anyone using hot water bottles... not only it would be very uncomfortable (and deadly) during wintertime but water pipes & al would also freeze.

Well, you can have a hotty botty and still have the heating on... and you might still be able to reduce the heating a bit if you made yourself warmer under the covers.
 Liverandbacon
03-10-2010, 1:38 AM
I tricked a real person with full intent to be a heat leech. However, my plan backfired, as it turns out I produce much more heat than most people, so she's ended up being the heat leech. I guess I deserved it for my treacherous plan.
 Khanie
03-10-2010, 2:12 PM
I use a wheat pillow. Does that count?
 Lady Jedi
03-10-2010, 7:41 PM
I was a bit torn between the last two, but 'Take that Al Gore' won me over. I don't however leave my heater on all night. I favor an electric heating pad on my frozen feet. Mmm, toasty!

On a side note: If I did use a hot bottle, it would most definitely be my Most Pleasurable Hot Sack. ;)
 Gabez
03-11-2010, 7:08 AM
I use a wheat pillow. Does that count?It doesn't count as a hotty botty, no, but it counts as something warm and cuddly under the blankets. I'm a bit concerned about microwavable wheat pillows, though: do they hold the heat in for long enough? Also, is there a chance that lethal microwave radiation will murder you in your sleep?
 Khanie
03-11-2010, 1:02 PM
It doesn't count as a hotty botty, no, but it counts as something warm and cuddly under the blankets. I'm a bit concerned about microwavable wheat pillows, though: do they hold the heat in for long enough? Also, is there a chance that lethal microwave radiation will murder you in your sleep?

Nah they don't, but I fall asleep fast. I really only use it for warming up the bed thou, so it doesn't matter. It's faster and I'm lazy P:

Huh.. I saw a cartoon commercial about that once.. I need to find it, it was hilarious I would rather trust my heat pillow than my cellphone. Those sneaky little bastards... They're taking over our minds with their brainwashing little radiowaves! D: THEY'RE GONNA START A REVOLUTION, I JUST KNOW IT.
 Gabez
03-11-2010, 1:12 PM
Welcome to the forums, btw!

It is all as mad as this.
 mur'phon
03-15-2010, 9:26 AM
Never used one, a thick blanket will keep you warm in -31C, even with a window open (exceptions for those stupid enough to take a shower right before they go to sleep).
 Allronix
03-21-2010, 7:38 PM
I've got a microwave heat pack (beans sewn into polar fleece) that I'll nuke and keep near my feet. I just call it "the heat wrap." I also have two cats who are most upset if they don't get to crawl under the covers. The sixteen pound moose of a cat is VERY insistent about wanting to be on my lap.
Page: 2 of 2