Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

SW:ToR - Taris

Page: 1 of 1
 Taak Farst
02-12-2010, 7:01 PM
Well..as you might of read on the swtor site, Taris is a playable planet in tor..

I am very fond of the idea of seein the aftermath of the bombardment..But I really hope they do something good that does the story justice, The gameplay/story and scenery made Taris my fave planet in KotOR.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
02-12-2010, 7:13 PM
I personally hate the idea. They apparently said the Sith were the cause of the Rakghoul desease! From what I recall they were there long before Sith occupation. I would think Taris would be rebuilt long ago!
 Lord Foley
02-12-2010, 7:19 PM
They apparently said the Sith were the cause of the Rakghoul desease! From what I recall they were there long before Sith occupation.

I had to go look for myself, and of course, you're right. I seriously hate how every damn thing in the galaxy has something to do with the Jedi or Sith. There is absolutely no mystique to the Star Wars universe anymore. EVERYTHING is the result of the ancient Jedi or the ancient Sith. Rakghouls, one of the few truly scary things in the universe, were of course created by the same old bad guys. Way to take a dump on anything interesting.
 Darth Avlectus
02-12-2010, 9:38 PM
I personally hate the idea. They apparently said the Sith were the cause of the Rakghoul desease! From what I recall they were there long before Sith occupation. I would think Taris would be rebuilt long ago!

They were there but it was as a remnant or a churning sort of festering rotting infestation because of a Karness Muur in the ancient era (probably about the same time as Tulak Hord).

I had to go look for myself, and of course, you're right. I seriously hate how every damn thing in the galaxy has something to do with the Jedi or Sith. There is absolutely no mystique to the Star Wars universe anymore. EVERYTHING is the result of the ancient Jedi or the ancient Sith. Rakghouls, one of the few truly scary things in the universe, were of course created by the same old bad guys. Way to take a dump on anything interesting.

This.

There are other groups of force sensitives in SW galactic history but somehow they were all inferior. :dozey: They all either end up evil and with the dark side if not fully with the sith, OR the end up subservient to the Jedi. It's not even arrogant anymore, it's just flat unoriginal.
 Ghost
02-12-2010, 9:50 PM
It's typical LucasArts. They want everything bad to revolve around the Sith and everything good to be around the Jedi. Frankly, I think that the Sith have had a large enough spotlight. Can't there be some other bad guys? Say The Hutts or the exchange? I loved killing those annoying Rodians in Jedi Knight. Anyway, I kind of knew it was coming that the Rakghouls were created by the Sith. Taris was my fav planet in Kotor 1 by far, but I wish the Rakghouls were created by something else. Ancient Races Anyone? Killiks, Rakata, etc. I wish LA would focus on some other force groups like the Jay Shal, Baran Do, Matukai, Nightsisters, all that jazz
 Gurges-Ahter
02-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Rakghouls coming from Sith alchemy gone wrong isn't new to TOR - I think it was established in the KotOR comics a while ago. So don't blame this one on TOR.

Also - isn't TOR just 300 years after TSL? Rebuilding a planet takes a while - 300 years isn't that long. I'm not surprised at all that it's not rebuilt yet. I'm actually glad it's not - that would be contrived and ignore the lore created by K1.

Lastly, I love these forums - really - but why is it filled with so much hate for LA and the SW universe in general? I mean, I criticize too, but I don't really understand the blatant dismissal of so much of the SW universe and the rampant hate that runs through so many of these threads.
 Ghost
02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Also - isn't TOR just 300 years after TSL? Rebuilding a planet takes a while - 300 years isn't that long. I'm not surprised at all that it's not rebuilt yet. I'm actually glad it's not - that would be contrived and ignore the lore created by K1.

Yeah, because in EAW it said that still most of the planet was in ruins, so if TOR said that Taris had rebuilt, then it would wreck canon.

Lastly, I love these forums - really - but why is it filled with so much hate for LA and the SW universe in general? I mean, I criticize too, but I don't really understand the blatant dismissal of so much of the SW universe and the rampant hate that runs through so many of these threads.

It's not SW universe that people concentrate their hate, it's the way LA is run and how it recently it has made games. Lately they have done one game at a time and those games turned out to be pieces of ****, except for TFU and USE. LA is very greedy, which most companies are. A lot of ppl are mad at TOR because they believe LA wanted the way out with more money, but it's more then that. LA also know most of the popularity is with MMOs, but apparently not here, so that is why LA put its money towards TOR, and cancelled K3, which is the main reason why people hate TOR so much
 Gurges-Ahter
02-12-2010, 11:30 PM
LA also know most of the popularity is with MMOs, but apparently not here, so that is why LA put its money towards TOR, and cancelled K3, which is the main reason why people hate TOR so much

I'm with you - I would rather have K3 also - but isn't LA actually doing the fans a favor by giving the majority what they want? I know that around here on these forums everyone wants K3, but we're in the minority.

Also, maybe I'm just too much of a SW fanboy, but isn't it better than nothing? I mean it's not ideal (K3 would be), but I'm still really excited because it's SW and I'll eat it up. Additionally, being set in the KotOR era, I'm even more excited (for TOR).

I can understand complaining because what we really want is another single player RPG, but I just don't get the blatant hatred for LA and what they're putting out.

Lastly - I disagree that LA is greedy. They're a company, so obviously profits are the goal, but I think GL does a lot for the industry in general that he could just forget about if he was only focused on $$. We'd be on a 2nd generation of Blu-Ray for the OT and PT by now if all they cared about was money.
 Lord Foley
02-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Rakghouls coming from Sith alchemy gone wrong isn't new to TOR - I think it was established in the KotOR comics a while ago. So don't blame this one on TOR.

It occurred to me that it could easily have been established by someone other than TOR developers, and my remarks stand. "They" are just whoever is coming up with the idea that everything original can be reincorporated into something stale.

Personally, I can't stand a lot of things that have been going on with the Star Wars EU right now. The books post NJO took a huge nosedive (and NJO wasn't exactly stellar at parts either.) And as the universe grows, the creativity of the authors shrinks. Everything is unoriginal, and I'm sorry, but I have to be honest- It does not have to be that way. There is so much room to explore, but it seems that Star Wars lore is marketed to the lowest common denominator of intelligence- 12 year olds who think *another* Sith Empire emerging would be epic. It has been done, redone, and they put all their effort into marketing (coughTORteaserisdeliberatelymisleadingcough) and not into real effort.

It's not all bad though. I love Force Unleashed and I was very pleased with the Coruscant Nights books. Problem is, with KotOR, it's one of the most loved parts of the EU by a lot of people, especially for me because it was devoid of the banal plot formulas found almost everywhere else. That is, until now.
 Ghost
02-12-2010, 11:57 PM
isn't LA actually doing the fans a favor by giving the majority what they want? I know that around here on these forums everyone wants K3, but we're in the minority.

That's true

I just don't get the blatant hatred for LA and what they're putting out.

Most of us don't put out blatant hatred, more of average criticism. Sure we may seem to hate them, but the only reason why we go after them so much is that the products they have made recently are not very well liked, which is why many dislike LA.

I disagree that LA is greedy

You can disagree if you want, but the facts are that all companies have a goal. Be the richest

I think GL does a lot for the industry in general that he could just forget about if he was only focused on $$.

George Lucas doesn't really have a say in what goes on in the game world. Pretty much LA/LF would keep him in space to make sure their products were what they wanted. So GL is not the one we are mad at, it's the companies.

We'd be on a 2nd generation of Blu-Ray for the OT and PT by now if all they cared about was money.

Actually the reason why they haven't put the Trilogies on Blu-Ray right now is the exact reason of Money. They want to make the most profit out of the DVDS before they come out with a Blu-Ray Set. They Did the same with VHS. DVDS came out long before the Trilogies came out on DVD, so in fact they are milking all the money they can out of the DVDs before they switch to Blu-Ray, which would be like 2-3 years from now.
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
02-13-2010, 7:15 AM
That reminds me, have any of you ever played Trex' NJM TC mod? The True Sith in that returned with many huminoid Dark Jedi that screem and yelp, overgrown "Yuhzun Von" like ships, and instead of Sith Troopers, they had rakgouls and Shaddow Beasts. The only difference, the rakgoul was purple, not like Gollum. Unless if they are naturally purple but it looks different underground due to lighting. That was one of the bad parts about that mod, I DIDN"T HAVE A CHALLENGE! Thats why I think rakgouls are a BAD idea in TOR. But I guess Taris will be in the game. It will be an entirely new planet though and hopefully we will see outcasts recolonizing it.
 Ghost
02-13-2010, 10:32 AM
There's not much information on the outcasts. That may be the case, but remember they would have been below the cities so all that weight falling down would have crushed them, unless they found some shelter. Also, they were looking for the promised land when Revan showed them the way
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
what was the promised land again? I always thought it was the surface and they made it there after the bombing. Enlighten me please.
 Ghost
02-13-2010, 11:01 AM
The Promised Land (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Promised_Land) was a colony that tended to people It was located below the cities. Found just before the famine of Taris and Lost during the Tarisian Civil War. It would take weeks to reach it, and few people knew were it lay.
 Lord Foley
02-13-2010, 2:33 PM
The Promised Land (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Promised_Land) was a colony that tended to people It was located below the cities. Found just before the famine of Taris and Lost during the Tarisian Civil War. It would take weeks to reach it, and few people knew were it lay.

Seeing as that story arc never has a definitive resolution, I prefer to think The Promised Land was just a fable the outcasts had to give them hope. Because let's be honest- Promised Land wasn't even original when the Bible did it.
 Ghost
02-13-2010, 3:42 PM
Touche, but Star Wars and the Bible are two totally different things.
 Lord Foley
02-13-2010, 3:48 PM
Just my way of saying it's an old, used idea. That's not something we need more of in Star Wars.
 Ghost
02-13-2010, 3:49 PM
Yeah, but once is fine. If the promised land was true, then it would have to be below the surface of taris
 Lord Foley
02-13-2010, 3:52 PM
Even if it was true, I'm not sure that it would be recognizable anymore. Malak did a real number on the planet.
 Ghost
02-13-2010, 3:52 PM
Yes he did, but did the outcasts manage to escape underground? TOR would probably answer the question of IF the promised land was true and was found
 Hallucination
02-13-2010, 4:10 PM
Seeing as that story arc never has a definitive resolution, I prefer to think The Promised Land was just a fable the outcasts had to give them hope.
I take it you never did the quest where you got the datapads that had a map to the Promised Land and the outcasts said "**** yeah, let's go!" and then went?
 Lord Foley
02-13-2010, 4:53 PM
I take it you never did the quest where you got the datapads that had a map to the Promised Land and the outcasts said "**** yeah, let's go!" and then went?

No, I did complete the quest. All the pads come off dead outcasts. You don't know how the outcasts got the information. First hand? Maybe. But they might have found someone who told them, or are working off a guess. In real life people claim to find bigfoot, and then expeditions are made to the area- it's not so different. I'm not saying the promised land is definitely fake, but that's a very real possibility.
 Ghost
02-13-2010, 4:55 PM
Mm, then how DID the journals get their information. Did you read them? I think they got it from exploration of the deep sewers
 Astor
02-14-2010, 4:23 AM
The Rakghoul Plague has been laid down as Sith in Origin in the EU for a very long time - as GTA says, Karness Muur designed (or at least, built upon) the disease.

It's typical LucasArts.

LucasArts does have some say in the process, but seeing as they're just the publisher, it's unfair to simply lay all the criticism at them, and Bioware are simply following a plot from the EU as far as the Rakghoul plague is concerned.

Especially an Ecumenopolis such as Taris, which, as we saw was completely destroyed by an orbital bombardment.
 Darth Avlectus
02-14-2010, 3:21 PM
It's amusing at how this has become another rantfest about K3 vs TOR. We all know what's going to happen and it is a money trap. Just anyone knows this with MMOs.

It will be quite interesting to see what changed about Taris. I just hope they don't caricature country folks again. Not that I'm a 'southerner' but still, it is somewhat unfair. But anyways...

I am left to wonder if Taris will now be a major trade hub, what with all the publicity from its prior devastation, and the fairly recent sacking of Coruscant it wouldn't surprise me if there was a very different, dynamic, and perhaps even chaotic (w.r.t events that are unfolding) atmosphere. I wonder, too, if that underground band of outcasts will be made mention of--or if they now are ancestors of the new Taris. Funny, the old Taris portrayed as corrupt and greedy was "wiped from the face of the galaxy" by Darth Malak, and in the ruins and ashes arises a better world than before. Imagine that.

Perhaps Gaddon Thek and the Hidden Beks made their legacy somehow.

Here's to hoping they aren't too vain and try to flaunt every little thing that happened here in K1.

Taris might have some ancient, long standing labyrinths or something like that on the ground level where the "undercity" once stood. Something relating to the mystery surrounding how the rhakghouls got down there in the first place.
From the cutscenes it didn't look as far developed as coruscant so there may well be some natural ground to set foot upon.
 Ping
02-14-2010, 4:55 PM
I'm wondering if the "Promised Land" spoekn of in K1 will get elaborated on in this game. It's implied that something like it exists.
 Darth Avlectus
02-14-2010, 5:49 PM
^^^Or if Rukil was a force sensitive descendant. Like his ancestors knew of the sith in the outer regions and their plans to invade. So they built the 'promised land' colony. Come to think of it, Taris may have a treasure trove of untold secrets from the past. Sith, jedi, and other force sensitive. Hm.
 Ping
02-15-2010, 7:44 PM
^^^Or if Rukil was a force sensitive descendant. Like his ancestors knew of the sith in the outer regions and their plans to invade. So they built the 'promised land' colony. Come to think of it, Taris may have a treasure trove of untold secrets from the past. Sith, jedi, and other force sensitive. Hm.

That's a bit far out there, though it is a possibility. I wonder if we're going to see the ruins of the Jedi Enclave, as seen in the comics. I'm also wondering if the crashed Hammer-head ship in the recent screenshots could be the Endar Spire.
 Knight Of Honor
02-16-2010, 5:01 AM
You know, this is the problem with the SW EU. Why do they always feel the need to extrapolate on every little detail of every event that has occured some time in the past.

The KOTOR genre was a refreshing and inspiring additon to the SW universe. But now with TOR they are doing the same thing as with the rest of the EU.

I dont want another "The Emperor is resurrected as a clone" kind of idea. Just like i dont want the Rackghouls to have anything to do with the Sith. And i DONT want them to invent some idea that Trask Ulgo is actually the emperor.. heh, highly unlikely.. (Wouldnt be surprised if they did something like that though)

I have seen so many others mention this issue as well.

All im saying is.. Well, think new! Dont get stuck in the same old track as the rest of the Star Wars EU.

PS: Davik is dead. Leave it at that! Please dont let him be resurrected as a wookie clone or something.. :thmbup1:
 Darth Avlectus
03-08-2010, 8:26 PM
That's a bit far out there, though it is a possibility.

Perhaps I'm conflating ideas. Rukil--well, the possibility is kind of significant that he was force sensitive:
Knowledgeable of history, like a Jedi would be.
Long lived, like a Jedi would be.
That whole creepy crazy old person rant about destiny and such, eerily like a Jedi. Just an idea that he may have been force sensitive. He also seemed of noble intent and in a corrupt place as Taris was portrayed to have been, the good guys don't last long.

Could there have been a bloodline of Tarisian nobles who had an affinity for the force?

The existence of the colony alone begs several questions about its purpose. Does it not?

Also, what do we really know about Taris itself? Could the over-city have been merely hiding something all this time? Like it was a cover-up by the republic for a problem they could not solve? The jedi order did it by purging all data related to Darth Andeddu b/c they could not find his real tomb and his body? Damage control certainly isn't a new concept to the Jedi portrayal--need I remind you all of Luke and his true father?

I wonder if we're going to see the ruins of the Jedi Enclave, as seen in the comics. I'm also wondering if the crashed Hammer-head ship in the recent screenshots could be the Endar Spire.

I'd almost say count on both.

Dantooine enclave would be an important historical landmark by this point. Regardless if people really knew what happened with the exile or not.

The endar spire would make sense. There may have been another ship or two like that to aid in the recovery for the planet within the past 300+ years but until further info on this, we really have nothing else to go on.
 TKA-001
03-08-2010, 9:08 PM
You all may not remember this, but the Endar Spire very thoroughly blew into smithereens right after the player escapes it in KotOR I.
 Ping
03-08-2010, 9:10 PM
@GTA: Ah, I see your point with Rukil, though I personally think he just lived to a ridiculous age ;). I mean, my great-grandmother lived to be 95, and she smoked and drank, which is kind of why I just think Rukil could live really long, since there are people out there who live to really old ages.

The endar spire would make sense. There may have been another ship or two like that to aid in the recovery for the planet within the past 300+ years but until further info on this, we really have nothing else to go on.

Very true, though I'm still hoping that it is the Endar Spire. It would be cool if it was included, even if it's just for a continuity nod.
 ShinDangaioh
03-09-2010, 5:57 PM
I think the crashed Hammerhead might actually be the Harbinger. That ship just vanished in TSL, but it is an important ship.
 Darth Avlectus
03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
@GTA: Ah, I see your point with Rukil, though I personally think he just lived to a ridiculous age ;). I mean, my great-grandmother lived to be 95, and she smoked and drank, which is kind of why I just think Rukil could live really long, since there are people out there who live to really old ages.

Well, it is mere speculation. Still, that's awful weird the whole talk about what he saw for you in the future. Rarely coincidence. ;)

Very true, though I'm still hoping that it is the Endar Spire. It would be cool if it was included, even if it's just for a continuity nod.

You all may not remember this, but the Endar Spire very thoroughly blew into smithereens right after the player escapes it in KotOR I.

Ehh, they could retcon that. :D
 Ibelin
03-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I just wonder what could happen if the Undercity citizen found the promised land, which is the result of Malak's orbital bombardment. They then developed rapidly and become the main power on Taris. But then, the clan went seperated and there came a Taris civil war. The time of the civil war is presented in TOR. Two sides are: the original Undercity citizen in KOTOR,with the help of the Hidden Beks, Free Lancer, Mercs, Smuglers and the other is seperatists, which are loyal to the republic and willing to make Taris one helpful outpost for the war effort of the republic. The current situation came up as some republic researchers had found special meterials to make more reliable vehicles for the navy. The player will have to choose one side to unlock further missions, which are supposed to lead to the xporation of the planet and history also. What happened after Malak's bombardment will be described in detail and other things: rakghouls, gangs, movements of the 2 sides, shops, goods,...of the planet will be presented to players by NPCs, Board, Datapads, Hologramms, Maps, Ships.
 Darth Avlectus
03-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I just wonder what could happen if the Undercity citizen found the promised land, which is the result of Malak's orbital bombardment.

I thought the undercity citizens were largely unaware of the situation with the sith bombardment? Wouldn't that mean the two were unrelated? :confused:

They then developed rapidly and become the main power on Taris. But then, the clan went seperated and there came a Taris civil war. The time of the civil war is presented in TOR. Two sides are: the original Undercity citizen in KOTOR,with the help of the Hidden Beks,

They would have been long gone by the time that all came to pass with the Beks. :indif:

Free Lancer, Mercs, Smuglers and the other is seperatists, which are loyal to the republic and willing to make Taris one helpful outpost for the war effort of the republic. The current situation came up as some republic researchers had found special meterials to make more reliable vehicles for the navy. The player will have to choose one side to unlock further missions, which are supposed to lead to the xporation of the planet and history also. What happened after Malak's bombardment will be described in detail and other things: rakghouls, gangs, movements of the 2 sides, shops, goods,...of the planet will be presented to players by NPCs, Board, Datapads, Hologramms, Maps, Ships.

Could you please link where this information is posted? I'm most curious.
 Ibelin
03-13-2010, 6:55 AM
^ Those are all my ideas anw. :xp:

I thought the undercity citizens were largely unaware of the situation with the sith bombardment? Wouldn't that mean the two were unrelated?
As what i saw in Kotor a land with sun (which appeared as a result of the bombarment) is promised enough for the citizens. :)
 Darth Avlectus
03-13-2010, 10:01 PM
But they would have left for the "promised land" out of the undercity before that...?
 LordVader1
03-18-2011, 8:03 AM
How is it Possible for Taris Playable Planet? Its Been DESTROYED
 Alkonium
03-18-2011, 8:26 AM
How is it Possible for Taris Playable Planet? Its Been DESTROYED

No, it wasn't. It wasn't hit by some sort of ancient equivalent to a Death Star, it was bombarded from orbit, in which case, the planet remains intact, albeit in ruins.
 mstr kenobi
03-18-2011, 11:26 AM
With Telos restoration being a success, i would think that Taris would be one of the next restoration sites and in less than 300 years that restoration would be complete.

If they can build something huge like Citadel station in less than 5 years, how long it would take to make those tall buildings?
Page: 1 of 1