Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Looking to refine HK47 (kotor)

Page: 1 of 1
 VeniVidiVicous
01-17-2010, 3:55 PM
HK-47 is one of my favourite companions in the Kotor series but i've always felt that he was lacking in abilities. I'm looking for a way to improve his starting abilities.

At LVL 6 (before any leveling up) his base attributes are:

Strength 16
Dexterity 14
Constitution 10
Intelligence 14
Wisdom 12
Charisma 10

the fact that he starts with a high strength makes no sense to me seeing as he can't use a melee weapon. So i'm proposing this instead:

Strength 10
Dexterity 16
Constitution 12
Intelligence 16
Wisdom 12
Charisma 10

I think this makes more sense given his background. Unfortunatly I don't know how to mod the character as i'm new to modding kotor.

Could anyone please explain to me how to introduce these changes?

On a side note, is it possible to have a item that (slowly) regenerates health for droids?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
 jonathan7
01-17-2010, 5:08 PM
Any help is greatly appreciated!

You will need KotOR Tool which is the main thing you will need for KotOR modding, it opens pretty much all the KotOR Files up find it here; Click Me (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=121572) - the download links etc are there.

What you are wanting to do is a relatively simple mod, what you will need to do is edit HK47's .utc file. To do this open up KotOR Tool, the under KotOR open up BIFS, then Blueprint, Charachter then finally open p_HK47 and that's the UTC explore there, then save your edited p_HK47 with that name save then put it your Override folder found in your KotOR Directory, default; C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\Override

Yes, it is possible to have an item that restores the health of the droids, there are some mods already around which also do that, I'm in a rush atm as have to drive someone home, but can post them for you later...

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums! :)
 VeniVidiVicous
01-17-2010, 6:26 PM
What you are wanting to do is a relatively simple mod, what you will need to do is edit HK47's .utc file. To do this open up KotOR Tool, the under KotOR open up BIFS, then Blueprint, Charachter then finally open p_HK47 and that's the UTC explore there, then save your edited p_HK47 with that name save then put it your Override folder found in your KotOR Directory, default; C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\Override

I've followed these steps and the utc is now in my override. Unfortunatly it didn't seem to work, however in my earliest save I had already acquired HK47 I just hadn't Levelled him up.

Is there any chance for this to take effect i'd have to restart my game?

Yes, it is possible to have an item that restores the health of the droids, there are some mods already around which also do that, I'm in a rush atm as have to drive someone home, but can post them for you later...

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forums! :)

The item would be handy, Thanks for the help and welcome! :thmbup1:
 Darth Cryptic
01-17-2010, 6:53 PM
Yes, you'd ahve to restart your game to get the benefits of the bumped stats.
 jonathan7
01-17-2010, 7:01 PM
I've followed these steps and the utc is now in my override. Unfortunatly it didn't seem to work, however in my earliest save I had already acquired HK47 I just hadn't Levelled him up.

It will only work if before HK47 is in your party, as that is the only time the game refers to the .utc in the Override after than, as he is leveled up the game will remember the levels up you have done.

Is there any chance for this to take effect i'd have to restart my game?

No you just need to play it before you have HK-47 in your party.

The item would be handy, Thanks for the help and welcome! :thmbup1:

Nuts, can't seem to find it, you can just make a droid item (a uti) that would slowly regenerate health. There may already be one in game, try checking GameBanshee's equipment database; Click Me! (http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?_layout=KotOR1_Items&_cgifunction=search&KotOR_Items.game=KOTOR1&KotOR_Items.category=Droid&KotOR_Items.type=Droid+Armor) To make one, go to KotOR too BIFS, Blueprint, Item and then find the name, the above game banshee gives the items name, for example Template: g_i_drdhvplat001 you could then edit that, or create new items, by saving them under a different name.

Hope that helps!
 VeniVidiVicous
01-17-2010, 7:06 PM
Yes, you'd ahve to restart your game to get the benefits of the bumped stats.

It's a pity I didn't think of holding onto a save just before acquiring him. Thanks for the help. :)

Now i'm going to have to go through the Taris part all over again! :hor:
 jonathan7
01-17-2010, 7:37 PM
It's a pity I didn't think of holding onto a save just before acquiring him. Thanks for the help. :)

Now i'm going to have to go through the Taris part all over again! :hor:

KotOR and TSL Saved Game files archive (click me) (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=157988)
 Totenkopf
01-17-2010, 7:44 PM
There is one simpler way to do it once you have HK in your party as well. If you're looking to make a modified HK for everyone to use, you'll need KOTOR tool. If you just wish to edit HK for yourself w/in the game, use KSE after HK joins your party. Save the game at that point and then open it up w/KSE. You can edit all his stats more or less to your satisfaction. Just restart the game after your changes and HK is a "new man".
 VeniVidiVicous
01-17-2010, 8:13 PM
It will only work if before HK47 is in your party, as that is the only time the game refers to the .utc in the Override after than, as he is leveled up the game will remember the levels up you have done.

No you just need to play it before you have HK-47 in your party.!

Okay, got that sorted.

Nuts, can't seem to find it, you can just make a droid item (a uti) that would slowly regenerate health. There may already be one in game, try checking GameBanshee's equipment database; Click Me! (http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?_layout=KotOR1_Items&_cgifunction=search&KotOR_Items.game=KOTOR1&KotOR_Items.category=Droid&KotOR_Items.type=Droid+Armor) To make one, go to KotOR too BIFS, Blueprint, Item and then find the name, the above game banshee gives the items name, for example Template: g_i_drdhvplat001 you could then edit that, or create new items, by saving them under a different name.

Hope that helps!

That link was helpful! I'm curious as to whether I could make a new droid upgrade available?

As I said earlier I don't want something that will throw off the game balance so just an item that would give the droid either 2 or 3 regeneration.

The hard part I can foresee is giving a new item an icon for inventory and actually having it available to be purchased or scavenged.

KotOR and TSL Saved Game files archive (click me) (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=157988)

Cheers again! I think I can get over restarting since I think I could have chosen my Attributes a little better at the beginning. Thanks again though.

There is one simpler way to do it once you have HK in your party as well. If you're looking to make a modified HK for everyone to use, you'll need KOTOR tool. If you just wish to edit HK for yourself w/in the game, use KSE after HK joins your party. Save the game at that point and then open it up w/KSE. You can edit all his stats more or less to your satisfaction. Just restart the game after your changes and HK is a "new man".

Well I spent a long time looking for a HK fix but the only mods I could really find were reskins so it might be a good idea to have the file in the forums.

How would you go about "delaring" the mod just start a new thread in the "Taris Upper City Emporium"?

If that's cool, I have to give credit to jonathan7, he showed me how to do it.

Thanks again jon! :thmbup1:
 jonathan7
01-17-2010, 8:32 PM
Okay, got that sorted.

That link was helpful! I'm curious as to whether I could make a new droid upgrade available?

Yeah you can, here is an example from RedHawke's upgrade pack; Click Me to Download. (http://www.citlink.net/~redhawke/mods/RHTermDrdPack1.7z)

As I said earlier I don't want something that will throw off the game balance so just an item that would give the droid either 2 or 3 regeneration.

That's for you to decide ;) Have an explore of the various options in in the KotOR tool .uti editor.

The hard part I can foresee is giving a new item an icon for inventory and actually having it available to be purchased or scavenged.

Cheers again! I think I can get over restarting since I think I could have chosen my Attributes a little better at the beginning. Thanks again though.

No worries

Well I spent a long time looking for a HK fix but the only mods I could really find were reskins so it might be a good idea to have the file in the forums.

I think you'll like RH's mods I linked you too ;)

How would you go about "delaring" the mod just start a new thread in the "Taris Upper City Emporium"?

Well you need to have uploaded the mod somewhere so people can download it. KotOR Files (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/) is the main KotOR mod repository.

If that's cool, I have to give credit to jonathan7, he showed me how to do it.

Thanks again jon! :thmbup1:

No worries, it's what I'm here for ;)
 Totenkopf
01-17-2010, 8:58 PM

True enough. Outside of RH's stuff that J7 linked you, I don't recall anything other than cosmetic changes for HK.
 VeniVidiVicous
01-17-2010, 9:03 PM
That's for you to decide ;) Have an explore of the various options in in the KotOR tool .uti editor.

Hmmm.. I tried messing around with this item.

Template: g_i_drdtrgcom001
Tag: g_i_drdtrgcom001
Type: Droid (Droid Upgrade)
Value: 500
Feat(s) Required: Droid Upgrade Class 1

It's the droid upgrade basic targeting computer, I made the changes and dropped the new file in the override but nothing seemed to change.

Is it possible to allocate a new item slot? if so how do I then allocate where it would be available?

I hope the HK changes actually occur in this new game now.:migraine:
 jonathan7
01-17-2010, 9:08 PM
Hmmm.. I tried messing around with this item.

Template: g_i_drdtrgcom001
Tag: g_i_drdtrgcom001
Type: Droid (Droid Upgrade)
Value: 500
Feat(s) Required: Droid Upgrade Class 1

It's the droid upgrade basic targeting computer, I made the changes and dropped the new file in the override but nothing seemed to change.

Is it possible to allocate a new item slot? if so how do I then allocate where it would be available?

I hope the HK changes actually occur in this new game now.:migraine:

If the item was already in your inventory, it won't have changed, you'll have to cheat a new item in for the changes to take effect. You may also need to change the upgrade.2da for the item to work properly; armour would most likely be a more easy item to change. However download RedHawkes stuff and see how he did the mod, most of the time I have learned how to mod by looking at how other people have done what I want to do.
 VeniVidiVicous
01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
True enough. Outside of RH's stuff that J7 linked you, I don't recall anything other than cosmetic changes for HK.

Well i've started another game so if it works in-game I'll share it on this forum.

If the item was already in your inventory, it won't have changed, you'll have to cheat a new item in for the changes to take effect. You may also need to change the upgrade.2da for the item to work properly; armour would most likely be a more easy item to change. However download RedHawkes stuff and see how he did the mod, most of the time I have learned how to mod by looking at how other people have done what I want to do.

As far as I know I didn't have in my inventory already. I had to go and buy it to see if the change took effect. The RH Enhanced Terminator Droid Pack mod alters the p_hk47.utc file so for the time being i'll leave that off to see if my fix worked.

I will however make a new save game just before each new party joins. Who knows if I can get my head around modding this game & TSL over time I might get into doing some bigger mods.

Thanks again jon.
 VeniVidiVicous
01-18-2010, 10:34 AM

Just so you know I progressed with my new game and i'm happy to say that the HK fix and droid item both work!

Now to question is would anyone be intrested in this as well?
 none223
01-18-2010, 10:51 AM
You can upload it to KOTORfiles as something like "Hk-47 changes"

Personally though, I would make the droid regenerator a custom item. There are a couple of tuts on making custom items...but thats just me..
 VeniVidiVicous
01-18-2010, 11:56 AM
You can upload it to KOTORfiles as something like "Hk-47 changes"

Personally though, I would make the droid regenerator a custom item. There are a couple of tuts on making custom items...but thats just me..

Oh if I was to upload them i'd keep them seperate.

Is that what you meant about custom items btw? Keeping it out of mods that aren't specifically an item/items mod.
 jonathan7
01-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Oh if I was to upload them i'd keep them seperate.

Is that what you meant about custom items btw? Keeping it out of mods that aren't specifically an item/items mod.

Speaking as KotOR Files staff, I'd say

A) Yes upload them, given how quickly you've taken to modding they will be better than a lot of the beginner mods we recieve.

B) Please bundle them all together and don't send individual ones, it is a lot more work for us to upload lots of small mods, (especially .uti and .utc edits); personally I won't upload individual .uti edits ;)
 Darth Cryptic
01-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Hmm, suppose I should bundle my HK gear for TSL and post it up sometime soon.
 VeniVidiVicous
01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Speaking as KotOR Files staff, I'd say

A) Yes upload them, given how quickly you've taken to modding they will be better than a lot of the beginner mods we recieve.

B) Please bundle them all together and don't send individual ones, it is a lot more work for us to upload lots of small mods, (especially .uti and .utc edits); personally I won't upload individual .uti edits ;)

A) Thank you. How do I send them to KotOR Files?

B) I could do it as one mod and just explain in the readme what files to throw in override depending on what they wanted out of it. Is this what you mean?

Hmm, suppose I should bundle my HK gear for TSL and post it up sometime soon.

I'd be intrested in seeing that. :raise:
 jonathan7
01-19-2010, 12:35 PM
A) Thank you. How do I send them to KotOR Files?

KotOR Files Submit File (click me) (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/upload/) - follow thr instructions and you should be fine; remember at least to put in at least one screenshot, it's KotOR Files policy that all mods should have screenshots.

B) I could do it as one mod and just explain in the readme what files to throw in override depending on what they wanted out of it. Is this what you mean?

Indeed :)
 VeniVidiVicous
01-19-2010, 2:23 PM
KotOR Files Submit File (click me) (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/upload/) - follow thr instructions and you should be fine; remember at least to put in at least one screenshot, it's KotOR Files policy that all mods should have screenshots.

Thanks, I'll have a look at that link.

I suppose you couldn't tell me how to take a screen shot in game and where it would normally place the photo file??

On a side note I originally called the regeneration item a "Droid Nano Repairer", i'm just wondering if i'm the only one that thinks it isn't a very Star Warsy name for it?

How about this if someone can post a name "and" description which fits better (and that I like) i'll change the details! :thmbup1:
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-19-2010, 2:39 PM
Click me! (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143241) All your screenshot info is there.

"Repairer" seems a little awkward. Have you used a thesaurus on that word? try synonym[dot]com.
 none223
01-19-2010, 5:54 PM
"fixer" or "repair module"

A description could be something like:

"This item was a long time ago to allow droids to be capable of auto-repairing themselves. This particular item allows a droid to regenerate ___ vitality points each round."
 jonathan7
01-19-2010, 6:43 PM

"This item was created a long time ago to allow droids to be capable of auto-repairing themselves. This particular item allows a droid to regenerate ___ vitality points each round."

Fixed. ;)

Though personally I'd run with something more like this;

"Nano Repair Module"

"This state of the art nano technology allows a droid to slowly regenerate as the smaller droids contained within the module repair broken systems due to general ware and tear. Rumour has it, the technology came from an ancient civilisation, however these rumours have not be substantiated. Regardless this is a very expensive and rare device, and any droid fitted with it will be maintained in good condition."
 VeniVidiVicous
01-19-2010, 8:12 PM

"This item was a long time ago to allow droids to be capable of auto-repairing themselves. This particular item allows a droid to regenerate ___ vitality points each round."
Fixed. ;)

Though personally I'd run with something more like this;

"Nano Repair Module"

"This state of the art nano technology allows a droid to slowly regenerate as the smaller droids contained within the module repair broken systems due to general ware and tear. Rumour has it, the technology came from an ancient civilisation, however these rumours have not be substantiated. Regardless this is a very expensive and rare device, and any droid fitted with it will be maintained in good condition."
Click me! (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143241) All your screenshot info is there.

"Repairer" seems a little awkward. Have you used a thesaurus on that word? try synonym[dot]com.

Good points all round.

The main thing i'm wondering though is would I be introducing something new with "Nanobots".

I don't think they've ever gone that into the science of their droids in SW. Have they?
 jonathan7
01-19-2010, 8:20 PM
I don't think they've ever gone that into the science of their droids in SW. Have they?

Nanogene Droid (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nanogene_droid)

Well my description somewhat came from the fact the Star Forge Maps somehow restore themselves over time. Some sort of Nanobot, would be the logical conclusion IMO ;)
 VeniVidiVicous
01-20-2010, 2:40 AM
Nanogene Droid (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nanogene_droid)

Well my description somewhat came from the fact the Star Forge Maps somehow restore themselves over time. Some sort of Nanobot, would be the logical conclusion IMO ;)

Well i've read through that and I think it's plausable for both Droid & Organic Regen!

Maybe I should do 2 seperate items! :spin:
Page: 1 of 1