Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What TC mods are out?

Page: 1 of 1
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
01-16-2010, 8:51 PM
Can somebody give me a list of all TC mods that are out for KOTOR and TSL? I'm currently playing through the Jedi Masters.
 Ghost
01-16-2010, 8:55 PM
If you want to know, why not just visit their sites?

Revenge of Revan is still in progress
JM's NJO is still in progress

And thats pretty much it
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
01-16-2010, 8:57 PM
I was just checking if any less popular ones were out. Don't forget, I'm working on one too!
 Canderis
01-16-2010, 8:57 PM
For K1 there is this
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/Czerka_Commando;91374)

TJM and that are the only ones out to my knowledge.
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
01-16-2010, 8:59 PM
Looks cool, but that aint a TC!
 Canderis
01-16-2010, 9:07 PM
Uh... Yes it is...
It just doesn't really have anything.... new?
 Lord of Hunger
01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Looks cool, but that aint a TC!
Yeah, it is. It creates a new story and implements it into the game. I know that Jonathan7 would disagree with me on that definition, but for all intents and purposes that is a TC.

I know Nick Vader also made a TC of sorts, but I forget the name.
 VarsityPuppet
01-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Canderis and HarIII are working on a TC too I think.
 Canderis
01-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Canderis and HarIII are working on a TC too I think.

where'd you get that info?
 jonathan7
01-16-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm still of the opinion there have been no successful Total Conversion mods, and in truth I expect Revenge of Revan to be the only one to come out any time "soon".

Yeah, it is. It creates a new story and implements it into the game. I know that Jonathan7 would disagree with me on that definition, but for all intents and purposes that is a TC.

No, I think people just misuse the term "Total Conversion" which you yourself are doing and I'll seek to explain why I think so;

Firstly the words "Total Conversion" (I can't be bothered to get my Oxford dictionary, so the Online Dictionary will suffice, the words aren't really technical in any respect).

In the above Total means this;

Total adj.
1. Of, relating to, or constituting the whole; entire. See Synonyms at whole.
2. Complete; utter; absolute: total concentration; a total effort; a total fool.
v. to·taled or to·talled, to·tal·ing or to·tal·ling, to·tals

So total means, complete, utter and absolute.

Conversion;

a. a change or adaptation in form, character, or function
b. something changed in one of these respects

So, total conversion, could also be said as "absolute change" or "utter adaptation" - all of these things, mean a massive change in form from one to another.

So to quote my own definition from an earlier thread;

The definition of Total Conversion is; "A total conversion is a mod of an existing game that replaces almost all of the artistic assets in the original game, and sometimes core aspects of gameplay, in some cases creating a game in a completely different genre from the original."

I place my own emphasis on my original quote.

This is an intersting phenomena in this age of people saying one thing, but meaning quite another. Taking words and changing their meaning only renders words meaningless; and makes communication much harder/ But given the meaning of the words I fail to see how The Jedi Masters, or Czerka Commando constitute TC's, they re-use a massive amount of what is already in game, they don't even have their own modules, and further more, and no offence intended to the mods authors, they are not of a significant quality.

I know Nick Vader also made a TC of sorts, but I forget the name.

Words of Power; it's not a TC, it's just a set of large empty set of spaces with no plot that I could discern.

It seems to me, that there are currently only two mods which would warrant the title "Total Conversion" and those mods are headed up by Doc V and Logan respectively. Indeed Doc V's is in the total definition of a Total Conversion, as it replaces all in game assets including all the modules. Ostensibly Revenge of Revan, while not completely matching the definition has so much work going into it and replaces so much, including new modules, art work etc that I would think it could be defined as a Total Conversion.

However the other mods, listed earlier, do not match up to the quality or size of Brotherhood of Shadow, so personally I would consider it an affront to that mod for the others to be classified Total Conversions when Brotherhood of Shadow is not.

As for TC's unless you are a very experienced modder I wouldn't start with a total conversion; learn the basics first, too many people have "awesome" mod ideas, which seem to involve someone else doing the actual modding - generally such people run around trying to recruit as many people as possible, despite all the evidence that the larger a mod team, the more chance there is of it failing.

My 2 cents....
 Totenkopf
01-17-2010, 2:41 AM
........*stuff*......My 2 cents....

I'd only add that if anyone plans to engage in any grandiose ideas like that, they should effectively shelve any ideas of a real life for the forseeable future if they are trying to squeeze one out by themselves in the near term. It can be done, but you'd better have LOTS of free time on your hands...... :p
 RedHawke
01-17-2010, 9:15 AM
I'm still of the opinion there have been no successful Total Conversion mods
I agree...
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
01-17-2010, 9:21 AM
What about The Jedi Masters? That was pretty good, but the cutscenes kinda sucked and the voice acting was terrible if you can even consier it voice acting at all. Well, I can't wait for Revenge of Revan and The New Jedi Order.

Edit: What I liked about the Jedi Masters was the Eagle ship other than the Ebon Hawk! It was pretty cool and gave a whole new expirience! There are also brand new characters that can fit on a ship that big! I felt sorry for Revan at the end who sacrifised himself and I alsofelt sorry for the good clone of Kreia whom Revan killed.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-17-2010, 9:26 AM
What about The Jedi Masters? That was pretty good, but the cutscenes kinda sucked and the voice acting was terrible if you can even consier it voice acting at all. Well, I can't wait for Revenge of Revan and The New Jedi Order.
Previous posts mentioned TJM.

I am working on a truly total conversion, just haven't done anything but imagine it in all it's gloriousness. "Leisure Suit Jedi" a TC for KotOR2:TSL.
 disbeliever
01-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Sounds like some of you are debating semantics imo. Total conversion could mean anything from totally changing the story and plot to changing all game assets.

Tjm did in fact completely change the story and plot. It was very rough. But he put a ton of effort into it and did something not many people have been able to do.
 Dak Drexl
01-17-2010, 11:28 AM
What about doc valentine's conversion for K1? I haven't played it myself, or even looked into it, but I generally hear good things about it. Anyone have a first-hand opinion?
 HdVaderII
01-17-2010, 1:03 PM
What I liked about the Jedi Masters was the Eagle ship other than the Ebon Hawk! It was pretty cool and gave a whole new expirience! There are also brand new characters that can fit on a ship that big! I felt sorry for Revan at the end who sacrifised himself and I alsofelt sorry for the good clone of Kreia whom Revan killed.

Methinks you could have used a SPOILER tag or two. For somebody who hasn't played the mod, (Including ME) that statement was a bit of a storykill.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-17-2010, 1:12 PM
What about doc valentine's conversion for K1? I haven't played it myself, or even looked into it, but I generally hear good things about it. Anyone have a first-hand opinion?

I have it on in my archives, yet still have never played it, mostly due to the fact that Doc himself felt it was incomplete and much work to do on it.

I also have TJM in my archives, and share HdVaderII's sentiment - mrcharley, please use spoiler tags when talking about anything game/mod related that includes anything unique from the mod story/contents.... I still plan on playing the mod, and you haven't spoilt it completely, but I for one had no idea about "The Eagle" or anything else in that mod.
 none223
01-17-2010, 1:42 PM
If it is the one that I'm thinking of, Doc Valentine's isn't a conversion YET.

A small part of it was released BETA a while ago, and the rest was being worked on, but hasn't shown any progress since September...
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-17-2010, 1:51 PM
If it is the one that I'm thinking of, Doc Valentine's isn't a conversion YET.

A small part of it was released BETA a while ago, and the rest was being worked on, but hasn't shown any progress since September...
Er, oops.... I was thinking of a mod from a certain former member of our community I think we'd all rather forget.
 Dak Drexl
01-17-2010, 5:39 PM
I played TJM a little while back; my thoughts are that it was pretty good, just not great. While you can tell that Trex put a ton of work into it, it just felt incomplete still. For what it is, I'd still recommend a play-through. A few hours of something new is always nice.
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
01-17-2010, 6:09 PM
So the only true TC out is The Jedi Masters? Anybody know about TCish games (not expansions!) A completely different storyline is what I mean!
 TriggerGod
01-17-2010, 6:17 PM
I wish there was more TC options to choose from, and I also just beat TJM this morning. I was practicly crying (not litteraly) when Revan craved the Dark Side again and then finaly sacrifised himself. The game itself was fun, but thats now how I would want cannon at all. I would also like to see the idea of a redeemed Kreia clone that helps you.

hint: using the hidden tags [*hidden*][*/hidden*] (without the stars) can help not spoil the mod. I for one haven't played TJM. While I don't plan to play it anytime soon again, what if I was playing through it, and I read this post? Ruined the ending of the mod for me.

Not everyone has played TJM; I'm not the only one.

And TJM isn't a complete Total Conversion. Using J7's words, a total conversion literally means Complete/Utter Change. Trex used a lot of modules from TSL, changing them only by texturing and moving things around with placeables.
 Te Darasuum Mandalor
01-17-2010, 6:20 PM
Then that means Revenge of Revan won't be a TC mod either! He's porting some modules from KOTOR 2.
 jonathan7
01-17-2010, 6:22 PM
And TJM isn't a complete Total Conversion. Using J7's words, a total conversion literally means Complete/Utter Change. Trex used a lot of modules from TSL, changing them only by texturing and moving things around with placeables.

Well, what everyone seems to really be talking about is Storyline Conversion mods.
 Totenkopf
01-17-2010, 6:29 PM
Previous posts mentioned TJM.

I am working on a truly total conversion, just haven't done anything but imagine it in all it's gloriousness. "Leisure Suit Jedi" a TC for KotOR2:TSL.

You're a very sick man, qui_gon, verrrry sick. :p

Well, what everyone seems to really be talking about is Storyline Conversion mods.

Well, even that is a Pandora's Box of sorts. Even if one "settled" for a storyline conversion w/some aethetic changes, that's still a lot of work. Just thinking about tinkering/changing all the dialogue (nevermind VO work to cover the changes) makes me want to do something else.
 Ghost
01-17-2010, 7:14 PM
Then that means Revenge of Revan won't be a TC mod either! He's porting some modules from KOTOR 2.

Hmm, let me explain. What your saying is nothing is really a TC without creating an entire new game. And, no it is not porting. Why? Because he is modding the same game. What they mean by a TC is a new story, new characters, and a lot of other stuff, but it doesn't mean a TC can't use modules from the vanilla game

What I liked about the Jedi Masters was the Eagle ship other than the Ebon Hawk! It was pretty cool and gave a whole new expirience! There are also brand new characters that can fit on a ship that big! I felt sorry for Revan at the end who sacrifised himself and I alsofelt sorry for the good clone of Kreia whom Revan killed.

:ugh:

nice job on ruining the story, now that I know what to expect, it will seem less, interesting. Next time, use spoiler tags, as a lot of us have not even tried the mod
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-17-2010, 8:56 PM
I will be announcing my team in the very distant never. The mod will go on in development hell and be next to KOTF as the greatest nonesuch this side of DNF.

You are not the the only fan of my concept, Totenkopf :D

:jab1

::::

In all seriousness, J7 is dead on in his assessment of difference, as is Totenkopf in his assessment of the difficulty of just the storyline conversion itself... a true Total Conversion, like something as ridiculous as LSJ, would take considerably more work than the enormous task of the former.

That is why there are, uh, none at the moment.

As for storyline, the only full storyline conversion that has been done is TJM... and not having played it, I have no clue as to how large it is... I would imagine it being much smaller than the vanilla game.
 Ghost
01-17-2010, 8:58 PM
lol, you make me laugh :lol:, I suspect what KOTF stands for :raise:
 JuniorModder
01-17-2010, 9:06 PM
Ostensibly Revenge of Revan, while not completely matching the definition has so much work going into it and replaces so much, including new modules, art work etc that I would think it could be defined as a Total Conversion.

If that counts as a total conversion I think I'll fix my sig from The New Jedi Order Story Conversion to The New Jedi Order Total Conversion. :xp:

JM
 VeniVidiVicous
01-20-2010, 1:36 AM
Edit: What I liked about the Jedi Masters was the Eagle ship other than the Ebon Hawk! It was pretty cool and gave a whole new expirience! There are also brand new characters that can fit on a ship that big! I felt sorry for Revan at the end who sacrifised himself and I alsofelt sorry for the good clone of Kreia whom Revan killed.

Thanks for the spoiler man, now I don't even need to play the mod. :rolleyes:
Page: 1 of 1