Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The flying thing on Dantooine

Page: 1 of 1
 VarsityPuppet
12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Okay, so you've all been to Dantooine and seen that giant crazy flying manta ray haven't you? It's called a Brith and IMO, it's always been awesome.

Anyways, I've been thinking about adding one to another modules (say... Telos, Dxun?
Do any of you have any idea how to do this?

NOW, before you all attack me for being overly... n00b, I looked for the .git entry in 601DAN, but guess what? I could not find it!
To make things worse, I can't even think of what script it might be mentioned in!

The actual utc is in templates.bif, but that shouldn't matter. It SHOULD be in the .git for that level and if not, the only other thing I can think of is that it's being created through a script (and then walking/flying waypoints)

If anyone has dealt with these happenings before, could you lend me a hand?
Otherwise, could someone else take a look around and see if they have any better luck?
 DarthStoney
12-23-2009, 1:13 PM
In that instance it's part of the module animation like the flying ships on Narshadaa. As of yet I don't think it's possible to modify modules(without messing them up). It may be possible to add it as a character to the module but not sure how to make it fly around unless you could add walking waying points but it may just move around at ground level as characters for the most part are not effected buy the z(hieght) coordinants.
 VarsityPuppet
12-23-2009, 1:36 PM
Curses!
Well, at least it answers my question.

I suppose it's time for me to learn exactly how waypoints work... woe is me.

But as for characters responding to Z coordinates, I've gotten it to work before.

anyways, thanks Stoney!
 stoffe
12-23-2009, 2:05 PM
Curses!
But as for characters responding to Z coordinates, I've gotten it to work before.

That's impossible, in the Aurora/Odyssey engine creatures are always stuck on the walkmesh, it does not support Z-axis movement for this object type. The best you can do it to fake it either by having the walkmesh above the visible ground model, giving characters the impression of flying, or by having an animation where the visible model leaves the ground (like how Force Jump or "flying" creatures do it). But their bounding boxes will still never leave the walkmesh.

This is why you can't force jump over other objects or characters between you and the target, or why you never see any area in the game where there are overlapping bridges/walkways where the player party can stand on the same X/Y coordinates but at different elevation in the same room.

(Placeables can have their Z-axis value changed though since they aren't confined by the walkmeshes or area models.)

The "easiest" solution in this case would probably to make the flying patrolling creatures into an animated placeable.
 VarsityPuppet
12-23-2009, 11:00 PM
That's impossible, in the Aurora/Odyssey engine creatures are always stuck on the walkmesh, it does not support Z-axis movement for this object type. The best you can do it to fake it either by having the walkmesh above the visible ground model, giving characters the impression of flying, or by having an animation where the visible model leaves the ground (like how Force Jump or "flying" creatures do it). But their bounding boxes will still never leave the walkmesh.

This is why you can't force jump over other objects or characters between you and the target, or why you never see any area in the game where there are overlapping bridges/walkways where the player party can stand on the same X/Y coordinates but at different elevation in the same room.

(Placeables can have their Z-axis value changed though since they aren't confined by the walkmeshes or area models.)

The "easiest" solution in this case would probably to make the flying patrolling creatures into an animated placeable.

Oops, yes, it was a placeable.

Well shoot. I'm stumped now. I'm not a modeler at all, so... well shoot.

Thanks for the clarification stoffe. Lord knows I would have spent all day trying to get that to work.
Page: 1 of 1