Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Jan Moir on Steven Gately

Page: 1 of 1
 Salzella
10-16-2009, 1:48 PM
 Q
10-17-2009, 1:16 AM
Who?
 Web Rider
10-17-2009, 9:32 AM
Wow, you really don't catch it unless you read the whole thing. For those of you who can't read: The author the article basically blames pot and homosexuality for the death of this young pop-culture star.
 Darth InSidious
10-17-2009, 9:42 AM
It's the Daily Wail. What did you expect?
 jonathan7
10-17-2009, 9:44 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1220756/A-strange-lonely-troubling-death--.html)

stupid, bigoted, ignorant smelly cow. :indif:

Wow, you really don't catch it unless you read the whole thing. For those of you who can't read: The author the article basically blames pot and homosexuality for the death of this young pop-culture star.

Perhaps I entirely missed the above, but while I think the article hinted at the above, I don't think it came out and directly said that. Regardless I don't think sexuality played a part in the death, but with all the recent celebrity deaths, one can't but think that the hedonistic drug culture, coupled with the associated stresses of being a celebrity is having a detrimental effect on that particular groups (mental?) health. Further more you would have to agree with the article that something is amiss considering the events leading upto the death.
 Q
10-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I got that part. The part I didn't get was exactly why I should know who this guy was, because I haven't a clue. :p
 El Sitherino
10-17-2009, 3:15 PM
Yeah, I got that part. The part I didn't get was exactly why I should know who this guy was, because I haven't a clue. :p

He's Ireland's Gay N*Sync member.

I think we should really just have an overall problem with the way that "journalist" writes a story. It read like a trashy romance/murder mystery blurb written by a 13-year-old high-functioning-mentally-deficient.
 Web Rider
10-17-2009, 9:56 PM
Perhaps I entirely missed the above, but while I think the article hinted at the above, I don't think it came out and directly said that. Regardless I don't think sexuality played a part in the death, but with all the recent celebrity deaths, one can't but think that the hedonistic drug culture, coupled with the associated stresses of being a celebrity is having a detrimental effect on that particular groups (mental?) health. Further more you would have to agree with the article that something is amiss considering the events leading upto the death.

No, it didn't, and that's what makes it more insidious than some raging tirade about how drugs and homosexuality are taking over our media and going to turn our children into drug-addled homosexuals.

While I agree that his death is questionable, that does not mean a natural death is impossible. Sometimes people's lives just end, 'tis the way of the world. However, he is clearly making a statement that his "death" and the "darker side" of his life is to be blamed on the pot and homosexuality.

You're still more likely to die in a plane crash(which is fairly rare), than die from having gay sex while on pot.
 Astor
10-19-2009, 8:34 AM
It seems that you're not alone in disliking that article. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/oct/19/jan-moir-complain-stephen-gately)

That article certainly seems to have stirred up a furore across the internet. A record 21,000 complaints were made to the Press Complaints Comission about it - that's more in a single weekend than in the past five years in total.
Page: 1 of 1