Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Combat

Page: 1 of 1
 jrrtoken
08-05-2009, 9:15 PM
(Or how impressively vague BioWare's marketing sessions can be)

Since the term "choreographed combat" gives off the impression of a feather in terms of descriptive content, what sort of combat system do you think will be integrated into TOR?

BioWare seems to be integrating TOR with all of the gameplay elements in Mass Effect, so I have a feeling (not necessarily good or bad, though) that we'll see the same sort of real-time schtuff a la Mass Effect. While I'd prefer a RTwP or a faster-paced turn-based sort of system (Much like within KotOR, only with more tactical features and with less suck), but I'd highly doubt it being used, though.
 Gurges-Ahter
08-05-2009, 9:26 PM
I remember hearing somewhere that the combat system would be similar to KotOR, but I've also heard that the system wouldn't really apply to MMO-style play.

I hope they use the KotOR combat system though, or something similar.
 swphreak
08-22-2009, 9:18 AM
According to what's shown in IGN's video walkthrough (http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/816935/bioware-mmo-project/videos/gcom09_oldrepublic_spc1_082109.html), combat is just like any other MMO using 1-0.

I hate 1-0 combat, and I'm pretty much not interested in TOR anymore. I'd rather have had KOTOR3.
 RogueJedi86
08-22-2009, 2:47 PM
PastramiX: What's RTwP? I saw you mention it in the Friday Update post too. "Real Time with Pausing"? Pausing is very hard to do in MMOs. And I have noticed a lot of TOR looks to draw more influence from Mass Effect than KotOR. Mass Effect is very fun, I'm glad it's being used, especially for the gunslinger classes.

StarWarsPhreak: What is "1-0 Combat"?
 adamqd
08-22-2009, 3:05 PM
StarWarsPhreak: What is "1-0 Combat"?

I'm guessing he means keyboard Control, with your attacks and specials bound to keys 1-0
 RogueJedi86
08-22-2009, 3:11 PM
I'm guessing he means keyboard Control, with your attacks and specials bound to keys 1-0

How else would you control combat? Wii-like swings of your mouse?
 Hallucination
08-22-2009, 4:49 PM
Shooter-style?

@Pastrami: I'd guess that what they mean with choreographed combat is that it'll look like KotOR, hopefully with a few more years' experience.
 adamqd
08-22-2009, 5:03 PM
How else would you control combat? Wii-like swings of your mouse?

I was answering your question... or is "what is 1-0 combat" Net slang for "I know what 1-0 combat is"?
 RogueJedi86
08-22-2009, 5:23 PM
I was answering your question... or is "what is 1-0 combat" Net slang for "I know what 1-0 combat is"?

I know you were answering, I was just giving a semi-sarcastic, mostly curious question as to what alternatives to "1-0 Combat" StarWarsPhreak could want.
 adamqd
08-22-2009, 5:33 PM
I know you were answering, I was just giving a semi-sarcastic, mostly curious question as to what alternatives to "1-0 Combat" StarWarsPhreak could want.

Sorry lol, My jaded instinct is to take everything as flame :)
 swphreak
08-22-2009, 5:44 PM

It'd have been nice if they could do something other than 1-0, or at least made the dice rolling more transparent.

I guess there really isn't anything that can be done about it. It seems that's all MMO developers can do combat-wise.
 RogueJedi86
08-22-2009, 8:16 PM
It'd have been nice if they could do something other than 1-0, or at least made the dice rolling more transparent.

I guess there really isn't anything that can be done about it. It seems that's all MMO developers can do combat-wise.

What alternatives to 1-0 do you have in mind? A TOR-specific peripheral that lets you hold a gun or lightsaber in your hand? A DDR pad to let you run with that instead? At this point complaining about using a keyboard on a PC is like complaining about gamepad controllers on consoles.
 Hallucination
08-22-2009, 9:14 PM
What alternatives to 1-0 do you have in mind?consoles.
FPS-style controls where you use the mouse primarily?
 Insignia_Enithma
08-23-2009, 5:14 AM
FPS-style controls where you use the mouse primarily?

In an rpg this seems rediculous tbh, even in fprpgs not all of the cotnrol is up to the mouse and the game does a little fudging (IM LOOKINg AT YOU FALLOUT 3) combat prowess would come down to the player skill in fps' not to there build of character.
 Hallucination
08-23-2009, 1:38 PM
It's so ridiculous that it's done in a major MMO by the name DDO, which uses the heavily stat driven 3.5e rules. IIRC that game isn't doing too poorly, which isn't bad considering D&D is well known for min-maxing.
 Insignia_Enithma
08-23-2009, 5:53 PM
It's so ridiculous that it's done in a major MMO by the name DDO, which uses the heavily stat driven 3.5e rules. IIRC that game isn't doing too poorly, which isn't bad considering D&D is well known for min-maxing.

I hated DDO BECAUSE of that. Then again I hated WoW repetitive combat :P
 Hallucination
08-23-2009, 10:21 PM
I think the problem isn't the different styles of combat so much as your unmarketable tastes that make the potential buyers of games that appeal to you too few in number. :P
 Insignia_Enithma
08-24-2009, 4:21 AM
I think the problem isn't the different styles of combat so much as your unmarketable tastes that make the potential buyers of games that appeal to you too few in number. :P

Not true.

I found DDO combat both difficult to control and extreamly slow and boring. Wow was essentially press certain buttons in the same order over and over again... From what I have always understood the combat of TOR will be choreographed so that lightsabers parry ect; blaster bolts are reflected and basiclly the combat is more realsitic to watch movement wise.

Whatever they actually do with the comabt I probably wont like it that much (unless its alot more like Kotor then I think it will be) but thats not what attracts me to the game.
 RogueJedi86
08-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Maybe Hallucination means that if they do it as an action-RPG game, it'll be too actiony for the RPG fans, and too RPG-y for the action fans, turning both off of it. They do need to draw that fine line.
 Mandalore_
08-25-2009, 6:13 AM
I think they should keep it as KOTOR combat was and some influense from Mass Effect.
 Hallucination
08-25-2009, 1:33 PM
Maybe Hallucination means that if they do it as an action-RPG game, it'll be too actiony for the RPG fans, and too RPG-y for the action fans, turning both off of it. They do need to draw that fine line.
Actually I was just joking about Insignia complaining about two different systems but not really defining what he likes. o_Q
 RogueJedi86
08-25-2009, 2:08 PM
Actually I was just joking about Insignia complaining about two different systems but not really defining what he likes. o_Q

I see that now. Very specific tastes, but not that specific to him.
Page: 1 of 1