Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Manually saved games won't load, but auto saves do. Please, help!

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthJacen
05-09-2009, 3:41 PM
I have a similar issue but my problem is with loading it. I can save the game normally, but when I load it. It gets stuck and stops working, but if I get an auto save and load that I can load the game, perfectly. Will someone help me fix this problem?
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-09-2009, 6:58 PM
Very strange :confused:

I am assuming you have the legit game, have updated using the patch, and have successfully played the game in the past.

That's where I am confused.

What's different (what has changed)?
 DarthJacen
05-09-2009, 8:39 PM
I've done all of the above.
 Demongo
05-10-2009, 10:14 AM
It can be a problem, if you are in a new(mod) area and you save the game there and delete the mod. But if you are in a normal area, I can only imagine these things:
-you have too much mods
or
-your game is installed or patched incorrectly
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-10-2009, 4:33 PM
I've done all of the above.

Ok, good. So, what have you done to your system or your game since the last time you played successfully? Mods? Other software? Using a hacked .exe?

You could try saving your override and saves and uninstalling, reinstalling. Pain in the arse, butt is often effective.

Sorry for my pun-ishment.
 DarthJacen
05-11-2009, 12:47 AM
I upgraded my graphics card to an Nvidia 7600 GS PCI-E card from the ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 that I used to use, but also refused to run my games at their optimum potential, it's imbedded into the motherboard so, I still have it, but it's disabled.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-11-2009, 2:07 PM
I upgraded my graphics card to an Nvidia 7600 GS PCI-E card from the ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 that I used to use, but also refused to run my games at their optimum potential, it's imbedded into the motherboard so, I still have it, but it's disabled.
Ok, good. Not that that helps me a ton, but other's might get a clue.

What drivers are you running on that 7600gs? If you are using the latest release, 182.50, it will break your KotOR games. It did not affect my saves at all though... but at least this could be part of the problem. If you are in fact using those latest drivers, revert to the 182.08 and you will be in a better situation.

The actual main problem is still the manual saves not loading... this seems like an .exe problem, thus my questions about the legitimacy of your game discs. Have you tried to contact SecuRom? Sometimes, they can patch your .exe, although it has never helped in my case. You could send them an analysis log and they'll know if they can help you or not.
I hope you work this out, and sorry I cannot be more helpful.
 DarthJacen
05-11-2009, 3:02 PM
The game discs I am using are legitimate and brand new. I bought the updated DVD like Kotor II that is being sold in stores, now. My game is licensed and registered with LA.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-11-2009, 5:17 PM
The game discs I am using are legitimate and brand new. I bought the updated DVD like Kotor II that is being sold in stores, now. My game is licensed and registered with LA.

I know, I believe you.... I had just wanted to verify that to be sure that was not a contributing source for your issue.

What about your driver.... and I know it is a pain, but have you uninstalled/reinstalled the game since the hardware change? It might be good to do that, although it does take some time. Fortunately, you have the DVD version, so you don't have to flop thru 4 cd's like I do :)

Also, just a thought, helpful for cleaning things up....

Uninstall your game. Reboot in safe mode. Hit <start>r and type in "cleanmgr /sageset:50". Select all boxes but the last two. Save and close. Hit <start>r again and type "cleanmgr /sagerun:50". This will do a thorough clean-up of your HD. Reboot again in normal mode, do a defrag with whatever defrag you prefer - I still recommend the Windows version - slow but safely effective.

Then do your re-installation. Update. If you are still having issues, contact SecuRom. Failing that, I am at a loss.
 DarthJacen
05-11-2009, 7:15 PM
I can't get the computer to uninstall it. I try to do so, and it doesn't work.

Actually, the DVD case one comes with CD-Roms, so yeah, I still have to do the flopping, lol.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-12-2009, 1:12 PM
I can't get the computer to uninstall it. I try to do so, and it doesn't work.

Actually, the DVD case one comes with CD-Roms, so yeah, I still have to do the flopping, lol.

The computer will not uninstall?

Hmmm... Well, then, you have the option of a manual uninstall, which is a pain in the butt but possible.

Have you ever used the Windows Installer Removal Tool?

My recommendation, since your game at this point is obviously broken.

1. Remove any game media in your optical drives, and then restart. If you have to power down to do it, that's fine - we want a fresh boot with no game media trying to load.
2. Back up anything you think you might want, might be salvageable, to a new folder on your desktop.
3. Go to your Lucasarts folder, right click the swkotor (or swkotor2...) folder, and select delete.
4. Search your computer for swkotor, delete all shortcuts you have, delete any instances of it in your All Programs List, etc.
5. Run the Windows Installer Removal Tool, select whichever game it is that's causing the trouble, and it'll be gone.
6. Re-install, after going through the steps that I recommended in my earlier post. I would also go through a thorough 3rd party av/malware scan, like Windows One LiveCare Free Scan, before any further installation.

I am unsure about how your sys got to this point, but these steps should allow you to start fresh. The one issue with this method is it will not remove .dll's from your system, which may be a problem in re-installation. Which game are we actually talking about, btw?
 DarthJacen
05-15-2009, 12:14 AM
I did all of that and reinstalled it using the manual install on the disk, but the same loading problem happens. I'm stumped on this one.

Which game are we actually talking about, btw?

TSL
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I did all of that and reinstalled it using the manual install on the disk, but the same loading problem happens. I'm stumped on this one.
Aargh.

Well, that is the limit of my abilities... some .dll is the likely culprit for your problem, but I am not sure how to tell you to look for it...

I am sorry that I do not have a solution for you... :confused:
 Miltiades
05-15-2009, 1:38 PM
Did you check the driver version to see if it was 182.50, like Glenn said?
 DarthJacen
05-15-2009, 1:39 PM
I have 181.20, I'll try going back to 181.08
 Miltiades
05-15-2009, 1:46 PM
Try rolling back to the 178.24 driver, just to make sure the problem really isn't caused by the driver. The 178 is very stable, so it should tell you immediately if it's a driver problem.

Also, have you tried starting a new game, then save and load?
 DarthJacen
05-15-2009, 1:52 PM
What is wrong with the new 185.85 drivers? Why don't they work, well?
 Miltiades
05-15-2009, 2:34 PM
What is wrong with the new 185.85 drivers? Why don't they work, well? The problem was with the 182.50 drivers, so whatever issue that driver had with KotOR 2, it may have already been fixed in 185.85. Or not.

It's best to try an older version that is guaranteed to work well with this game.
 DarthJacen
05-15-2009, 3:06 PM
The new driver that just came out May 6th (185.85), works beautifully with all of my games, but again I have the same loading problem. So, I don't think it has anything to do with the drivers. The games work.
 Miltiades
05-15-2009, 3:41 PM
The new driver that just came out May 6th (185.85), works beautifully with all of my games, but again I have the same loading problem. So, I don't think it has anything to do with the drivers. The games work. Drivers can work well with some games, and not so with others. KotOR has been subject to driver issues a few times already (ATi and nVidia).

Also, is this XP or Vista?
 DarthJacen
05-15-2009, 6:50 PM
XP Professional Service Pack 3 (which was their fix all pack before stopping support, which they haven't yet), all my games were designed with that system in mind, not Vista, or Apple. So, I got my XP Professional on a relatively, new platform. Hewlett Packard:

LucasArts System Report

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Product

Name Star Wars: Empire at War

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DirectX

Version 9.0c
d3dx9_30.dll Yes

Display devices

Device NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
TnL Yes
Pixel shader 3.0
Vertex shader 3.0
Driver nv4_disp.dll
Version 6.14.11.8585
VendorId 4318
DeviceId 914
Memory 256.0 MB

Sound devices

Device Realtek HD Audio output
Driver RtkHDAud.sys
Version 5.10.0000.5283

CPU

Device AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, MM
Total 2
Speed 2087 MHz
MMX Yes
SSE Yes
SSE2 Yes
3DNow Yes

RAM

Total 1919 MB

Operating system

Name Windows XP
Version Service Pack 3

Drives

Name C:
Device ST380815AS
File system NTFS
Total 76309 MB
Available 6425 MB

Name D:
Device ATAPI DVD C DH48C2S

This report came from the Best of PC Star Wars games DVD version of Knights of the Old Republic v1.3 using the "Analysis my computer" button.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-16-2009, 1:04 AM
Have you tinkered with core affinity? I know that that has been a problem with AMD and KotOR2 in the past...

Might be with Vista only though...

Did you do the SecuRom analysis?
 DarthJacen
05-16-2009, 2:27 AM
Yep, I did that after kotor wouldn't recognize that there were two cores instead of one. That fix is here http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153) on the AMD website and has been out for years, now. I, also, overclocked them using this tool, http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=91)
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-17-2009, 2:37 PM
SecuRom?
 DarthJacen
05-17-2009, 7:23 PM
What is that?
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-18-2009, 8:44 AM
Go to this page (https://support.securom.com/analysis.html). :)

SR is usually only an issue with K1, at least in my experience, but they do make a patch for TSL, so it will not be a waste of time to follow the instructions (takes 5 minutes, max) and submit your analysis log.

They will let you know whether or not they believe their software is the issue, and if so will provide a new .exe for you.

Make sure your game is updated before doing the analysis log... otherwise your game will definitely break when you do update!

I actually do hope this is your problem, although it is a little unlikely.... unless you recently installed a new/different optical drive?
 DarthJacen
05-18-2009, 8:56 PM
Okay, this page has a list of instructions, as you said, and I'm not quite understanding the procedure. I'll attempt it anyway, though.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
05-19-2009, 1:12 PM
Okay, this page has a list of instructions, as you said, and I'm not quite understanding the procedure. I'll attempt it anyway, though.

Pretty straightforward, actually... just restart your comp, left click on your swkotor2.exe, and "Launch Analysis". You will find the AnalysisLog.sro on the root directory of your hdd.
Page: 1 of 1