Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Darth Vader Force Grip Issue

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth_Yuthura
03-26-2009, 9:23 PM
Okay, this is just something I want to complain about and hopefully get some feedback for. I know that this is simply the way the game is.

How exactly do you defend against Darth Vader's Force Choke attack?

Clearly there is a way to defend against it... as the Rogue Jedi proved by blocking it 100% of the many attempts I made as Vader. NEVER GOT ONE SUCESS.

Now as Starkiller, Vader somehow can make his attack when you are doing a combo move against him and he will automatically win... because you were attacking him instead of fighting off his grip attack. Given that you disrupted his attack, he automatically should have lost like Starkiller always loses when an enemy disrupts a Force combo. WTF?!

Question is: is there a way you can use Force Choke on the Rogue Jedi and win, or negate Vader's cheat as Starkiller?

Thanks.
 Shem
03-28-2009, 10:00 AM
If you're using the Xbox 360 version, just rapidly hit the "B" button when you're in Vader's grip and if you're quick enough with it, you'll be freed before he throws you.

If you're really good, you can time you fall once you're released and use it to get in some hits on Vader. That will take some practice.
 Darth_Yuthura
03-28-2009, 6:24 PM
And what if you don't get the indicator that you need to press 'B'? If you're just standing still and Vader tries it, then you get the indicator to press 'B' and about two seconds to beat the attack. If you are doing a charged Force repulse and he does the attack, then you beat the attack there... he can't beat you when you've already negated his attack!

I know that there are certain discrepancies between player and NPC, but when it comes to Darth Vader... you have his abilities in the beginning, yet they change the second time around. If you could use choke on the Rogue Jedi at the start, then I would assume Vader can do that to Starkiller. If the Rogue Jedi can ALWAYS beat choke, then so should Starkiller!

(I know this is just a cheap way to inflate Vader's pathetic abilities for the second-last boss fight. I don't really expect anything to work properly.)
 Shem
03-30-2009, 4:52 AM
And what if you don't get the indicator that you need to press 'B'? If you're just standing still and Vader tries it, then you get the indicator to press 'B' and about two seconds to beat the attack. If you are doing a charged Force repulse and he does the attack, then you beat the attack there... he can't beat you when you've already negated his attack!The thing is you can't get away with much jumping or any type of moves that put Starkiller in the air or Vader will use his Force Grip on you.

The thing is if the "B" button indicator shows up, hit it as fast as you can with no hesitation. I'm about 75-80% successful in getting released without harm from Vader's grip because I can hit that B button so quickly.

I know that there are certain discrepancies between player and NPC, but when it comes to Darth Vader... you have his abilities in the beginning, yet they change the second time around. If you could use choke on the Rogue Jedi at the start, then I would assume Vader can do that to Starkiller. If the Rogue Jedi can ALWAYS beat choke, then so should Starkiller!You have to remember that when Vader faced the Rogue Jedi, it was 15 years earlier than with his duel against Starkiller. You do grow in power over time. When playing as Vader, it was around 2 years since he was put into that bionic suit after the incident with Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Besides all that, you have to be given a big challenge against Vader since it is at the end of the game. It's just good game programming to do so or people would be outraged on how Vader was too easy.

(I know this is just a cheap way to inflate Vader's pathetic abilities for the second-last boss fight. I don't really expect anything to work properly.)The key to fighting Vader is to pick your moments. Using repulse like you were talking about earlier isn't going to hurt him, so don't use it.

The easiest way is master using the "B" button to get released from his grip. Once you're good at that, the rest should be easy if you follow this pattern.

Block until he uses his red glowing Force Push. Once he starts charging that up, hurry up and get right behind him. Once he releases it, he will be drained and that is when you attack. Use your best move on him and then block until he does the Force Push again and repeat.
 Darth_Yuthura
05-06-2009, 9:05 PM
I guess for the sake of not starting another thread, I have another issue with Vader...

First his stats are WAY too high to begin with, you beat the crap out of him and he is almost dead, then when you jump in to deliver the killing blow; the b****** cheats again and gets his stats pumped beyond what they were in the first place. How do you beat him when he cheats all the time?!
 Jae Onasi
05-06-2009, 9:41 PM
Use the Force.
 Darth_Yuthura
05-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Oh, I almost forgot... Shem's advice to block until he is vulnerable worked perfectly. Crushed his dense skull into the floor on Master difficulty. Appreciated it.
 EnderWiggin
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Shem ftw?

_EW_
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-07-2010, 5:27 AM
Sorry for the resurrection, especially from such a beloved OP, but I have been having this issue as well. On my PS3, on Warrior, it was extremely hard to shake off Vader with button pushing. On Master, it is, I believe, impossible. I was a NES Track and Field champion, so I feel confident in my button mashing skills.

I want to know if any other PS3er's are able to shake off the choke on this difficulty, or if it is simply designed to be that way on Master/Lord difficulties. Reflecting Shem's post, I have no problem with it being a tough match... and I also have no problem with it being impossible to shake, since there is a way to avoid it in the first place. Just wanting verification, I guess, that I am not slipping and becoming feeble :|
 Shem
01-08-2010, 8:27 PM
Sorry for the resurrection, especially from such a beloved OP, but I have been having this issue as well. On my PS3, on Warrior, it was extremely hard to shake off Vader with button pushing. On Master, it is, I believe, impossible. I was a NES Track and Field champion, so I feel confident in my button mashing skills.

I want to know if any other PS3er's are able to shake off the choke on this difficulty, or if it is simply designed to be that way on Master/Lord difficulties. Reflecting Shem's post, I have no problem with it being a tough match... and I also have no problem with it being impossible to shake, since there is a way to avoid it in the first place. Just wanting verification, I guess, that I am not slipping and becoming feeble :|The PS3 version is the same as the Xbox 360 version. So use the same techniques as I have explained and you will beat him.

Look, I really got to know this game to a point where I was unstoppable on the Sith Master difficulty, so I know if you're on Sith Warrior, following my strategy will earn you an easy victory.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-26-2010, 8:22 PM
The PS3 version is the same as the Xbox 360 version. So use the same techniques as I have explained and you will beat him.

Look, I really got to know this game to a point where I was unstoppable on the Sith Master difficulty, so I know if you're on Sith Warrior, following my strategy will earn you an easy victory.
Sorry to say, but I have to disagree with you.

I am now at ~80% through all trophies, and have completed the game on Warrior and Lord difficulties, both LS and DS. Am playing Master difficulty now, and it is actually no harder than Sith Lord, that I can tell.

Regardless, in the PS3 version, it does not matter how rapid your response time is, does not matter how fast you can mash the button. I have been unable to escape Vader's grip at any level beyond warrior.

I am not saying you are wrong Shem - we play on different consoles, and in general your game-play advice is excellent, but in this case I have to say, if Vader grips you on the PS3, take the ride. He can still be beaten, you just cannot beat his grip.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Sorry to say, but I have to disagree with you.

I am now at ~80% through all trophies, and have completed the game on Warrior and Lord difficulties, both LS and DS. Am playing Master difficulty now, and it is actually no harder than Sith Lord, that I can tell.

Regardless, in the PS3 version, it does not matter how rapid your response time is, does not matter how fast you can mash the button. I have been unable to escape Vader's grip at any level beyond warrior.

I am not saying you are wrong Shem - we play on different consoles, and in general your game-play advice is excellent, but in this case I have to say, if Vader grips you on the PS3, take the ride. He can still be beaten, you just cannot beat his grip.
Well, sorry to bump and double post, but it has been a while, and, I.....
:ugh:

I have to eat humble pie. I have been able to shake Vader's grip.... on Sith Master (which I could not do on Sith Lord) multiple times, finally getting the trophy for Sith Master completion.

Sorry Shem, I stand corrected.
 Shem
02-11-2010, 8:53 PM
Well, I can be blunt right back and say that you're wrong as I know for a fact that TFU was originally made for the Xbox 360 and that it was ported over to the PS3, which means it's the same game, just on different consoles. That's why they look exactly the game, have the exact same cut scenes, modules, models, etc.

Also my nephew has a PS3 and TFU and I've seen him play it on there as he was asking me for tips one time so I came over to help him and I have seen Vader's grip beaten if you hit the button fast enough (I think it was the circle button it was promoting to hit). In fact I did it for him when I demonstrated how to beat Vader to show him how it worked and how fast you have to be and he still couldn't do it when Vader gripped him, so you're not alone with that.

But to go on here and try to convince me that the games are a bit different in that.

EDIT:

Well, sorry to bump and double post, but it has been a while, and, I.....
:ugh:

I have to eat humble pie. I have been able to shake Vader's grip.... on Sith Master (which I could not do on Sith Lord) multiple times, finally getting the trophy for Sith Master completion.

Sorry Shem, I stand corrected.
Funny, I then saw your next post after my response. :lol:
Page: 1 of 1