Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Exporting Placeables

Page: 1 of 1
 HK-42
02-14-2009, 9:11 PM
Whenever I export my placeable, with snoop running, and a aurabase, and hitting "fast linker(gmax/nwmax) I only get a mdl no mdx file. Anyhelp?
 DarthStoney
02-14-2009, 9:41 PM
Thats all it exports its actually not the true .mdl file(it an acsii file),once you have that .mdl file and use mdlops05 or mdlops06 to open that file and hit the read/write button and it creates the real .mdl and .mdx file for you.
 HK-42
02-14-2009, 9:51 PM
Thats all it exports its actually not the true .mdl file(it an acsii file),once you have that .mdl file and use mdlops05 or mdlops06 to open that file and hit the read/write button and it creates the real .mdl and .mdx file for you.

Ah ok. Well I tried mdlops and I got a PLC_*****k1-bin.mdl and mdx...is that it?
 TriggerGod
02-14-2009, 9:52 PM
Ah ok. Well I tried mdlops and I got a PLC_*****k1-bin.mdl and mdx...is that it?

yes all you have to do is remove the k1-bin part of the mdl and mdx and you have your placeable model file.
 HK-42
02-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Well I tried hex editing the placeable and is there anymention of textures in those? Or is that done by a 2da?
 TriggerGod
02-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Well I tried hex editing the placeable and is there anymention of textures in those? Or is that done by a 2da?

if you applied a texture to your model in Max then as long as its in the override with your model files the texture should show up just fine. (as long as you didn't change the file name.)
 HK-42
02-14-2009, 10:36 PM
if you applied a texture to your model in Max then as long as its in the override with your model files the texture should show up just fine. (as long as you didn't change the file name.)

Ah, well we will see.

EDIT: What do I put for strreff?
 DarthStoney
02-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Ah, well we will see.

EDIT: What do I put for strreff?

Just put -1 in there. It works the best for compatibilty.
 HK-42
02-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Just put -1 in there. It works the best for compatibilty.

Well after I finished it up, it didnt appear....:confused:

Ill have to check everything again....

I dont know whats wrong now:
Made utp, made mdl and mdx, edited placeable.2da, have textures and uvmap, have pwk, built mod, put in override, launched game.

Didnt appear. :confused:
 DarthStoney
02-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Well after I finished it up, it didnt appear....:confused:

Ill have to check everything again....

I dont know whats wrong now:
Made utp, made mdl and mdx, edited placeable.2da, have textures and uvmap, have pwk, built mod, put in override, launched game.

Didnt appear. :confused:

Did you put it in game by editing the .git file or by script?
 HK-42
02-14-2009, 11:49 PM
Did you put it in game by editing the .git file or by script?

the git.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
02-15-2009, 1:04 AM
the git.
Ok... did you start with a new save/one that had not been to that area before?

Simple things like this usually throw off my module testing...
 HK-42
02-15-2009, 1:10 AM
Ok... did you start with a new save/one that had not been to that area before?

Simple things like this usually throw off my module testing...

Yes I did. I have a save(test save 2) thats never been to any module except the Ebon Hawk, Endar Spire, and Dantooine.
 DarthStoney
02-15-2009, 10:41 AM
Make sure your template resref in your .utp file and the template resref in the .giit file are the same. Also make sure your z coordnant isn't below the floor level. placeables can be set to any height. Also check the .utp file under appearence and it is set to the name of your placeable.
 HK-42
02-15-2009, 1:27 PM
Make sure your template resref in your .utp file and the template resref in the .giit file are the same. Also make sure your z coordnant isn't below the floor level. placeables can be set to any height. Also check the .utp file under appearence and it is set to the name of your placeable.

Just Checked and that is all right.

Utp Appearence: 302
Placeable.2da line:
(Row Label)
Label
blahblah
strref
module name
PLC_blahblah
the four light ones/sound
shadow
and then the rest are bout the same as all the other ones.
 DarthStoney
02-15-2009, 7:27 PM
what about the (Template Resref) in the .utp and .git? do they match?
 HK-42
02-15-2009, 7:43 PM
what about the (Template Resref) in the .utp and .git? do they match?

yes sir.
 DarthStoney
02-15-2009, 9:21 PM

I went back and re-read,did you put your .mod file in the override folder. It goes in the modules folder your .2da and your textures plus the .mdl,.mdx,and the .pwk go in the override folder. I've heard you can put the .mdl and .mdx into the .mod file but have never tried it so I don't know for sure.
 HK-42
02-15-2009, 9:31 PM
I went back and re-read,did you put your .mod file in the override folder. It goes in the modules folder your .2da and your textures plus the .mdl,.mdx,and the .pwk go in the override folder. I've heard you can put the .mdl and .mdx into the .mod file but have never tried it so I don't know for sure.

Yes the .MOD is in the module folder, its a module ive edited quite a bit(liv_m99ad)

And yes the mdl/pwk/mdx is in the override.
 DarthStoney
02-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Hmmm... Try just changing the (Appearence) in the .utp file to something that was already in game. If it shows up then there is a possibility there is something wrong with the model file. Which version of mdlops did you use? I think k1 likes v05 better than v06.
 HK-42
02-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Hmmm... Try just changing the (Appearence) in the .utp file to something that was already in game. If it shows up then there is a possibility there is something wrong with the model file. Which version of mdlops did you use? I think k1 likes v05 better than v06.

Hm I will try that. I have 06.

EDIT: The force cages dissappeared, so its the model.

EDIT2: Well I tried with Mdlops 5 and no luck, by the way the mdx extracted was only 0bytes?
 DarthStoney
02-16-2009, 7:49 AM
OK,it sounds like the model didn't export properly. Make sure to follow these steps that Quanon gave me;

Once you have you're model ready, the only thing you now need to get it out of Max is a AuroraBase.

Here are the steps what I do:

1) Model is ready

2) Import another simple placeable: like a bench or something

3) Delete the Bench model, but keep the aurorabase and the dummy, IIRC it's named Lookatme or along those lines, keep that as well.

4) Since your scéne is now clean, just drag a big selection box, in the NWmax menu: General Utils, hit Fast Linker. This links your model to the aurorabase.

5) Deselect everything, now just pick the aurorabase, use its export.

6) Don't worry about the name, it'll be Bench.mdl or something, but you can change that now or after the compile with MDLops.

7) Start up MDLops, load in your exported Bench.mdl, hit the read and write button.

It will now create a Binary MDL and MDX file for you

I've no idea about the size of your object, but you need a .pwk ( walkmesh of the placeable) to block players off.

We can't create that ourselfs yet, so you'll need to borrow one from another placeable.

Just use KotorTool to extract one and then you just rename it to the name of your new placeable.

Final step is to give it its .UTI file and you'll need to edit the Placeable 2DA; adding an extra row for this new puppy
 HK-42
02-16-2009, 1:11 PM
Alright Ill retry that. Expect a edit.

EDIT: I got a lookathook, instead of me but putting in game now.
EDIT: It improved. I now have half the placeable. The other part isnt there. Will I have to combine these 2 models?
 DarthStoney
02-16-2009, 2:00 PM
Alright Ill retry that. Expect a edit.

EDIT: I got a lookathook, instead of me but putting in game now.
EDIT: It improved. I now have half the placeable. The other part isnt there. Will I have to combine these 2 models?

You just want to link your new model with an existing aurorabase. The best way I found is to creat your new model. once it is how you want it, save it as a .max file. then reset max and import an existing model ,delete everything "except" the lookathook and the aurorabase and dummyhook. Then import your new model (and line it up with the aurorabase)and link it following Q's instructions.
 HK-42
02-16-2009, 2:14 PM
I understand that. I did it, now just as I launch it in game I get half the placeable.
 DarthStoney
02-16-2009, 2:54 PM
oops!,I misunderstood the question I guess. I'm not sure why it does that, I've been lucky so far and not run into that.
 HK-42
02-16-2009, 6:31 PM
oops!,I misunderstood the question I guess. I'm not sure why it does that, I've been lucky so far and not run into that.

Is there anyway I can merge the 2 parts of my model to one? Then relink it to the Aurabase and export it?

EDIT: Done. I simply hit attach and clicked on the other model. :lol: Anyway I rexported and It is done! Thanks for your help!
 HK-42
02-18-2009, 5:19 PM
Revive.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r73/DarthGrivis/row302.jpg)

Here is my placeable.2da, some reason the placeable does not appear unless I change the appearence of another placeable?? My utp matches with the git of BOTH modules I have done. Im lost....

EDIT: It is not really blah...its something else.
 DarthStoney
02-18-2009, 10:15 PM
I had an issue like this once also. Make sure once you've edited your .2da file copy/put it in your override.(makeing sure it saved the changes) Then go back with Kotor tool and use the Gff editor open your new .utp file and in the appearence drop down menu find the name of your new placeable. Set it to your new placeable and save. For some reason if you use kgff editor it wouldn't save it properly.I may not have had the new .2da file in the override folder.
 HK-42
02-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I had an issue like this once also. Make sure once you've edited your .2da file copy/put it in your override.(makeing sure it saved the changes) Then go back with Kotor tool and use the Gff editor open your new .utp file and in the appearence drop down menu find the name of your new placeable. Set it to your new placeable and save. For some reason if you use kgff editor it wouldn't save it properly.I may not have had the new .2da file in the override folder.

It did save properly, it says 302. Also In kotor tool the new appearance dosent appear, it says unknown appearance like it does with all new appearances.
 DarthStoney
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
It did save properly, it says 302. Also In kotor tool the new appearance dosent appear, it says unknown appearance like it does with all new appearances.

OK,is this for K1 or K2? Just out of curiosity I looked at both and as far as your settings they are fine but K2's last entry is 350 and K1's last entry is 231. If its K1 are there a lot of added entries? Also for K1 maybe try reuseing a strref of another placeable. K2 works fine with -1 not sure about K1 but in the example Q gave me for M478 archon(which he tested in K1)he reused 231's strref.
 HK-42
02-18-2009, 11:28 PM
OK,is this for K1 or K2? Just out of curiosity I looked at both and as far as your settings they are fine but K2's last entry is 350 and K1's last entry is 231. If its K1 are there a lot of added entries? Also for K1 maybe try reuseing a strref of another placeable. K2 works fine with -1 not sure about K1 but in the example Q gave me for M478 archon(which he tested in K1)he reused 231's strref.

K1. Well I checked out the strref and used **** and 636(231 strref)

Here is my utp. Sorry bout the blacked out stuff, Its just I decided not to announce this mod:xp:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r73/DarthGrivis/KGFF.jpg)
 DarthStoney
02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Not sure, I compared what you have with some settings I had and they look fine. If you want to ,pm me the model and .2da files and I'll see what is going on. Sometimes it easier to look at it and try in game to figure it out.

Edit:I figured out the problem is with your placeables.2da file. It repeats a series of added placeables from another mod(s) three times,apparently the game is getting confused so it ignores the next 2 series of repeated models and anything you add after that. Using a fresh unmodded .2da and adding works fine.
 HK-42
02-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Not sure, I compared what you have with some settings I had and they look fine. If you want to ,pm me the model and .2da files and I'll see what is going on. Sometimes it easier to look at it and try in game to figure it out.

Edit:I figured out the problem is with your placeables.2da file. It repeats a series of added placeables from another mod(s) three times,apparently the game is getting confused so it ignores the next 2 series of repeated models and anything you add after that. Using a fresh unmodded .2da and adding works fine.

Ill try just deleting the repeating ones. If that dosent work, Ill make a fresh placeables.2da Thanks! Ill see if it works

EDIT: Well its in game, I have no idea if the model shows, as its behind the wall....I guess it wouldnt let me put it where I wanted it. ah well. Ill look into it tomorrow.
Page: 1 of 1