Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

A Question

Page: 1 of 1
 DarthSion399
02-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Are the mod tools for Kotor 1 and Kotor 2 reverse engineering the files for the game?

This may seem like a weird question but a few days ago I found oth that's what the mod tools for EaW where doing and since that's against the license agreement I figured I should ask about this for these games.

Thanks
 TriggerGod
02-08-2009, 11:52 AM
short answer: No.

Long Answer: No, Fred made the KOTOR Tool by going through the files located on the CD and compiling them all, and then making editors for specific files. Understandably, there are some stuff that Fred didn't put into KOTOR Tool, like a model editor, script decompiler, stuff like that. So other people made them (cchargin made MdlOps to export model files into an -ascii.mdl file that NWMax for GMax/3dsMax can read and import. MdlOps also can import an exported file from GMax/3dsMax as a new model for the game) (JdNoa made DeNCS, a handy script de-compiler. That means compiled scripts (.ncs) that don't have the source file (.nss) can be read by others)
 DarthSion399
02-08-2009, 5:18 PM
It's good to know these mod tools aren't against the license agreement

before I found out that the mod tools for EaW where reverse enjineering the files I didn't know it was possible, so I started to wonder if that's what all mod tools were doing.

Thanks
Page: 1 of 1