Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

TFU Downloadable Content

Page: 1 of 1
 Drewton
01-28-2009, 7:25 PM
Would it be fine using screenshots of the TFU downloadable content Sion for a Sion reskin? The screenshots which would be used are from a gaming website, not the actual files. Because it's from the downloadable content, it's not actually really from the game at all, more like from a mod, so I don't know if that would count as porting either.
 jonathan7
01-28-2009, 7:26 PM
Would it be fine using screenshots of the TFU downloadable content Sion for a Sion reskin? The screenshots which would be used are from a gaming website, not the actual files. Because it's from the downloadable content, it's not actually really from the game at all, more like from a mod, so I don't know if that would count as porting either.

Personally I'd say it wasn't porting, especially given there is still a fair amount of work still to be done...

For example;

Q: What about borrowing stuff from other games? They don't have read-mes.

A: You have to be careful what kind of things you borrow from other games. Porting models or maps is definitely a no-no, but if you borrow sounds or textures that's usually okay. You must credit them, however. Including them and not explaining where they came from is unacceptable. (found here; http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/info/Plagiarism_Policy)

As for SW:K rules; 7. Mods containing assets (models, textures, sounds, etc.) ported from another game are prohibited

It is against Lucasarts policy to port assets from one game to another. Holowan Laboratories does not condone porting of this nature, and moderators will close or delete any thread or posts discussing such mods, even if it is for your own personal use. The exception to this is if the asset in question is present in both KOTOR and TSL. Modders may create from scratch mods that resemble assets from another game.

Your's is a grey area, I think it's fine, I'm sure D3 et al will be able to confirm forum policy here. Basically the porting policy in the main is to stop porting assets from KotOR to TSL. I think taking screenshots and using them, from downloadable content to make a screen is definatly not porting as it still involves a hell of a lot fo work still. My 2 cents hope that helps.
 fenix3279
01-29-2009, 1:27 AM
Hopefully it won't be a problem seeing how it has potential to become an awesome skin. I've seen the TFU Sion and I must say it's far superior to the KotOR version in every way. TFU Sion reeks of badass. Pardon my french.
 Prime
01-29-2009, 9:05 AM
Is there a screenie somewhere?

And I'd say using screenshots is ok...
 jrrtoken
01-29-2009, 9:39 AM
 Sith Holocron
01-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Sion resembles a Borg in that shot
 Darth Payne
01-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Sion like that would look WAY better than the default one.

Much creepier and way scarier.
 fenix3279
01-29-2009, 2:31 PM
Sion like that would look WAY better than the default one.

Much creepier and way scarier.

Not to mention jacked. Muscles like those are perks found only in the dark side of the force. That and probably steroids.
 jrrtoken
01-29-2009, 2:51 PM
Sion resembles a Borg in that shotThat's what I was thinking. I suppose the concept artists never really played KotOR II that much, eh? :xp:
 Drewton
01-29-2009, 9:19 PM
Thanks for the very helpful reply, jonathan7. :)

It's been a day now and no one's claimed that it's porting, so I've posted a WIP screenshot here (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2583111#post2583111).
 FrustrationMan
02-02-2009, 8:54 AM
He doesn't really have the decaying look he does in KotOR II. Weird.
 Darth Payne
02-02-2009, 8:56 AM
Maybe that is an earlier version of Sion, before he went greyish and decayed?
 ojajebie
02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
He is "green" because of green lights in that room, where screenshot was taken.

In TFU Sion's skin is grey, like it was in K2. Check out these movies for confirmation:

Sion in TFU 1 (http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=H9AVkizCTfI)
Sion in TFU 2 (http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=jr93jdekq94)
Page: 1 of 1