Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsaber question

Page: 1 of 1
 WindraSkywalker
01-26-2009, 8:37 AM
I'm really new to modelling and i tried to model a lightsaber from an existing mdl file, but once i get it in game the hilt shows but the blade is invisible, how do i fix that?
 DarthParametric
01-26-2009, 9:35 AM
Did you follow one of the saber tutorials? The new hilt MDL needs to be run through the replacer function of MDLOps. Did you do that? Did you mess with the blade planes in GMax?
 WindraSkywalker
01-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Uh actually i was following the mdlops quick tutorial for a blaster, so i run the mdl in the replacer and when the 'mesh select' comes up which mesh do i choose as the replace target?
 DarthParametric
01-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Before you export your model out of GMax you need to unlink the original hilt from the AuroraBase and link your new mesh to it. Then when you run the model through the replacer it should show the default hilt. Select that as the target and choose your new hilt mesh to replace it.

You might want to read through one of the saber tutorials - the process is slightly different from blasters.
 WindraSkywalker
01-27-2009, 5:04 PM
Alright i finally got it! next question: can the way the saber is held be changed? because my saber is being held too close to the tip, and everytime i mess with the saber's position in gmax in the game they become floating sabers.
 Marius Fett
01-27-2009, 5:49 PM
You have to delink your model from the dummy, move the pivot point to the desired place (the pivot determines where your PC holds the saber) reset xforms, relink then export again. :)
 DarthParametric
01-28-2009, 1:46 AM
Adjusting hilt size and position should be covered in the saber making tutorials. Be aware though that, in my experience at least, radical repositioning of the hilt (both of the model itself and the pivot) in GMax is inconsistent at best. Be prepared to re-export the model multiple times to get the result you are after.

Also, make sure you are using v0.5 of MDLOps. Get it here (http://home.comcast.net/~cchargin/kotor/index.html). The newer version hosted here at LucasForums doesn't play nice with sabers. I also found that v0.7 of NWMax worked better than the newer v0.8, at least in GMax.
 WindraSkywalker
01-28-2009, 3:37 AM
Ok now i gotta big problem, everytime i export a new saber into the game it floats,, whats wrong there? now every saber i make ends up like this...
 DarthParametric
01-28-2009, 5:52 AM
 WindraSkywalker
01-28-2009, 6:27 PM
You're using MDLOps v0.6? Do your results look anything like this?

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/th_Saber-Issues-04.jpg) (http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/DarthParametric/Saber-Issues-04.jpg)

Exactly! just reverted to mdlops 5.0 and ìt became normal again, wow that was annoying..

but still no luck with adjusting the pivot point, my saber was still aligned to the old saber even though i delinked, lowered the pivot point, reset xforms and relinked.
Page: 1 of 1