Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

repairing 2da files

Page: 1 of 1
 Infernus
01-09-2009, 1:31 PM
hey all I've been playing kotor since the first game's release and just now have gotten into modding. but there is one problem. yesterday I downloaded the "recruitable kay" mod and during the installment I accidently turned kay's appearance 2da file into a winrar file, and now the character appears as a mandalorian in the game. and another problem is that every other 2da file is now winrar and the mods appearance in the game is not what it's supposed to look like. If anyone can help me, I would be eternally greatful.
 Gargoyle King
01-09-2009, 1:39 PM
First off, how the hell did you turn a .2da file into a .rar file? The only way you could probably do that is by making the extension visible then renaming the extension into .rar, aswell as having all your .2das highlighted at the same time whilst you do this. My best advice is rename those .rar's you now have back to .2da or uninstall and install a fresh copy.
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-09-2009, 1:56 PM
hey all I've been playing kotor since the first game's release and just now have gotten into modding. but there is one problem. yesterday I downloaded the "recruitable kay" mod and during the installment I accidently turned kay's appearance 2da file into a winrar file, and now the character appears as a mandalorian in the game. and another problem is that every other 2da file is now winrar and the mods appearance in the game is not what it's supposed to look like. If anyone can help me, I would be eternally greatful.

My guess is that you have not turned them into a .rar file, but that your computer thinks that WinRAR is the program that is supposed to open that type (.2da) of file. Sometimes Windows isn't sure how to open and handle certain file types, and so it will ask you what program you would like to use to open it.... and then it changes the icon appearance of all instances of that file type to look as though it is associated somehow with said program.

If this is the case, as I am guessing, it is not a problem. Your problem is with conflicting mods (my guess) that use the same slots in appearance.2da.

If you supply a little more information, or a screenshot of any of filetype issue, that would be of considerable help.
 Infernus
01-09-2009, 3:19 PM
well the file still says appearance.2da but I uninstalled winrar and now there is a notepad icon on the file. would the game be able to read that?
 Star Admiral
01-09-2009, 5:04 PM
As qui_gon_glenn pointed out, the problem is not with whether the game can read that file. It is a mod conflict. What other mods do you have installed with the Recruitable Kay mod?

- Star Admiral
 Qui-Gon Glenn
01-09-2009, 9:12 PM
well the file still says appearance.2da but I uninstalled winrar and now there is a notepad icon on the file. would the game be able to read that?
This confirms my assumption from my first post. If you want to open .2da files to edit them, you will need to download and install KotOR Tool. If you are already aware of that, my apologies.

As Star Admiral points out, my second assumption must also be correct. You are having a mod conflict, and if you tell us which mods you have installed, we may be able to tell you which ones are in conflict.

Also, you might have better luck posting in Inyri's TUCE thread about Recruitable Kay. That thread is specifically about that mod, and the developer may be more willing to help you resolve conflicts if addressed in the proper arena.

Otherwise, tell us what else you have installed... we will figure it out :)
 Det. Bart Lasiter
01-09-2009, 9:54 PM
This confirms my assumption from my first post. If you want to open .2da files to edit them, you will need to download and install KotOR Tool. If you are already aware of that, my apologies.

As Star Admiral points out, my second assumption must also be correct. You are having a mod conflict, and if you tell us which mods you have installed, we may be able to tell you which ones are in conflict.

Also, you might have better luck posting in Inyri's TUCE thread about Recruitable Kay. That thread is specifically about that mod, and the developer may be more willing to help you resolve conflicts if addressed in the proper arena.

Otherwise, tell us what else you have installed... we will figure it out :)iny doesn't post here anymore. you can ask on her site though, http://inyri.flowinternet.net/)
Page: 1 of 1