Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Unofficial 1.04 patch for KoToR?

Page: 1 of 1
 michca
01-06-2009, 12:07 PM
So I looked for a new CD4 as mine damaged. While looking for this, I ran across a d/l for a v1.04 Unofficial Patch for KoToR. I'd never heard of this and I'm trying to figure out if this is legitimate. Avast doesn't find anything wrong with it. So I went to the usual mod locations, such as filefront and lucasfiles and did a general Google search for a 1.04 unofficial patch. I couldn't find any info about an unofficial patch.

A couple of the fixes look like mods I've seen. But most look unfamiliar to me.

Is anyone here familiar with this? Is it legitimate? Seems sketchy to me. I'm not going to run it, but I'd like to know if someone actually did try to put out a consolidated unofficial patch.

The d/l includes an executable to install the patch presumably. It's not a replacement for the swkotor.exe. It also includes a readme.

SWKotOR1_04.exe
readme.txt

Star Wars(R): Knights of the Old Republic(TM) v1.04

Here are the changes in this update:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
- Calo Nord's Inventory Fix
- Force Storm Animation Fix
- Graphical Corruption/Memory Leaks In Certain Areas Issue Fix
- Hidden Hunters Quest Reward Fix
- Missing Script And Dialogue Lines Regarding Bastila's Father's Holocron Fix
- Missing Iriaz On Dantooine Fix
- Missing Jedi Training Pair On Dantooine Fix
- Missing Shader Effects On Certain Textures On Manaan Fix
- Missing Shader Effects On Party Members' Default Clothing Fix
- Missing Shader Effects On Various Vehicles Fix
- Missing Sharina Fizark On Dantooine Fix
- Missing Shuma the Hutt On Dantooine Fix
- Rukil's Apprentice's Corpse Appearance Fix
- Skipping Game Cinematics Fix
- Wall And Floor Textures On Dantooine, Taris Undercity, Korriban, Tatooine And
Unknown World Resolution And Detalization Fix

Patch Notes:
=-=-=-=-=-=-
- In order for all the changes to integrate into game content properly, you might need to
start a new game.
 craigdando
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
hmm, this one is tricky, its either a virus of somesort or maybe even a keylogger, or its just a unofficial patch made by a KotOR Player.
 DarthParametric
01-06-2009, 1:15 PM
Sounds like a collection of fixes for the Override folder rather than a "patch". A Google search only turns it up on torrent sites though, which seems a bit dodgy to me. There are plenty of unofficial game patches floating about and the legit ones get hosted on the various big game download sites like FileFront, FilePlanet, etc.

The reason it doesn't appear to be hosted on such a site is, I suspect, because it's a collection of fixes used without the permission of the original authors. The "Missing Script And Dialogue Lines Regarding Bastila's Father's Holocron Fix" must surely be "Bastila's Extra Dialog on Tatooine" by SpaceAlex and there are a few others there that look familiar but I can't place atm.

The fact that it's an EXE doesn't mean much. It is likely just a self-extracting archive. What does the readme say?
 michca
01-06-2009, 1:58 PM
Thanks for the replies.

DarthParametric, those are pretty much my thoughts exactly... I too recognized Bastila extra dialog. Some of the other I don't recognize so it made me skeptical, plus the fact that it's only found on torrent sites.

The readme doesn't say much more than what I quoted in the OP. It simply lists the previous official patches and their notes. There's no acknowledgments of any kind.

As I said in the OP, I won't be running this. While it could simply be a self extracting archive, there isn't enough here to make it worthwhile. I've already got what I need in terms of fixes/mods/etc... for now.

Although... I am looking forward to SpaceAlex' NPC/Party retextures :)
 DarthParametric
01-06-2009, 2:48 PM
If it's a self-extracting archive you can open it with 7Zip, WinRAR, WinZIP, etc. rather than running it directly. If you're really suspicious of it, run it through http://www.virustotal.com/) - they scan files using every major AV package on the market (it currently runs files through 38 different scanners).
 maugomale
02-19-2009, 1:43 AM
I also ran into this patch. I tried it out and it fixed an annoying crashing problem I've been having. Appearently, the maker of the patch, Cryptobionika, has ben banned from LucasForums for reasons I do not know.

Also, he made an unofficial 1.0c TSL patch too.
 SpaceAlex
02-19-2009, 3:23 AM
It's a compilation of various mods that were released here in the past, and some things were done by the author himself (someone that goes by the name of Xenon).

It seems legit enough...

~snipped~
 Darth InSidious
02-19-2009, 6:15 AM
Looks like its the same as the old 'unofficial 1.0c Patch' for K2. If so, I'd wager its by the same person - who put together a 'mod' by sticking various bits of other peoples' work.
Page: 1 of 1