Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Swoop racing

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth_vilas
11-01-2008, 7:08 PM
Who wants to see the swoop racing back in TOR? And how?

I would like to see it back with personal swoops. Also no jumping like in KOTOR2.
Also longer tracks, and racing directly against your oppenents.
 Pho3nix
11-01-2008, 7:28 PM
I'd definitely like Swoops as mounts, and maybe a quest which involves racing one.
 SW01
11-01-2008, 7:30 PM
I was thinking this too - if it was implemented in the same way as it was in KotOR, I could see it being popular, especially head-to-head or tournaments against other players. If it were implemented as head to head, a unique swoop would seem to be necessary.

While I have no skill at swoop racing whatsoever, it would be good for a laugh. And yes, it should be the KotOR version - not TSL.

I'd like to see Pazaak as well. While they are (obviously) not related to a major quest, they are undeniably part of the KotOR universe worth implementing.
 Ctrl Alt Del
11-01-2008, 7:37 PM
racing directly against your oppenents.

You've touched the core of it. I can't see it being any fun if it keeps being recorded times vs. recorded times. If they do make it this way, I can see players making a life out of racing.
 Zerimar Nyliram
11-01-2008, 8:44 PM
I'd like to see swoop racing look and feel very similar to pod racing: many players on one track at once, dodging obstacles, cutting sharp turns, pulling off aerial stunts, and possibly even outfitted with lasers to shoot one another (one-upping pod racing in that respect). Various power-ups along the track would cause various effects on your swoop or weapons. Finding hidden routes to traverse as shortcuts would also be a nice touch.

So basically a racing game with weapons.
 SW01
11-01-2008, 8:54 PM
So basically a racing game with weapons.

Like this?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/b/b6/Superbombad.jpg)

:lol:
 Tommycat
11-02-2008, 1:34 AM
No guns. With obstacles, it would be better to just push your opponents into a big block of pain. Weapons would make it too cheesy. Actually Swoop racing could be seen as a precursor to Podracing. So I could see it being switched from the straight "drag strip" track to a longer circuit track with say 3 laps. I could easily see qualifying and racing in those to be quite fun.
 Sabretooth
11-02-2008, 1:27 AM
Aye, swoops would be awesome as personal mounts, but I think they would be a little impractical seeing as how inhumanly fast they are. It could be interesting, if they work that out. As far as transportation goes, we only have local animals, speeders, starfighters and swoops in Star Wars, so the chances are good.

I'd personally love to see some sort of a swoop racing championship in the game, complete with charts and stuff. With the MMO thing, we may even have off-track fighting, backstabbing, espionage, sabotage, team-ups and god knows what other possibilities.

Yes!
 Weiser_Cain
11-02-2008, 5:03 AM
I want then as a minigame, sort of less than totally lethal pvp.
 Miltiades
11-02-2008, 5:48 AM
Swoop racing as seen in the first KotOR with races against other opponents would make for an interesting competition. :)
 adamqd
11-02-2008, 7:21 AM
+1, proper Swoop Racing would sweet
 GwannaSauna
11-02-2008, 1:44 PM
But then it would be "Star Wars - The Old Republic who gambled credits on Swoop Races" :(. I'd rather have something else non-addicting to where only that certain thiing would be overused
 adamqd
11-02-2008, 2:20 PM
I dont quite understand your post Gwanna, But I'd rather spend my non story driven down-time gambling on Swoop races or playin pazaak, then doing something non Star Warsy like house decorating or crafting rug's and furniture. I'm looking to Bioware to establish what a Star Wars MMO is supposed to involve :)
 Weiser_Cain
11-02-2008, 2:30 PM
Or killing sewer rats.
 knight 12167
11-08-2008, 4:39 PM
This is a very good idea.

I think each planet should have it's own set of rules for racing.If you go to Corucant you have to play by the book and if you go to Nal Hutta you can sabotage and use weapons!
 LordOfTheFish
11-08-2008, 9:37 PM
Why not swoop racing, pod racing, and Pazaak.
 Weiser_Cain
11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Swoop racing not pod racing, it's already associated with kotor and having both would be redundant.
 GwannaSauna
11-09-2008, 12:25 AM
doing something non Star Warsy like house decorating:)

I'd win 1st place :xp:

and if you go to Nal Hutta you can sabotage and use weapons!

Dual E-Web blasters on swoops FTW!
 Iron Rose
11-09-2008, 12:34 AM
I like the idea of racing actual players in swoop races. If implemented I would like to see some longer tracks then the ones in KOTOR.
 DarthJacen
11-10-2008, 8:42 PM
I was thinking this too - if it was implemented in the same way as it was in KotOR, I could see it being popular, especially head-to-head or tournaments against other players. If it were implemented as head to head, a unique swoop would seem to be necessary.

While I have no skill at swoop racing whatsoever, it would be good for a laugh. And yes, it should be the KotOR version - not TSL.

I'd like to see Pazaak as well. While they are (obviously) not related to a major quest, they are undeniably part of the KotOR universe worth implementing.

Now, being an SWG alum (sort of, I still play, but not like I used to when the game was HOT), they had swoop racing in that game where there was a droid that would give you several waypoints and you had to beat a certain time in order to pass. (The Legacy Quest) And, they also had a badge for the person with the best time of the day around the Boonta Eve Race Track from Episode I, but I could never get it because someone would always place an unbeatable time. But, the downside to that kind was A) The fastest vehicle in the game is either the Barc speederbike or the Jet pack, both of which are rare items. B) You raced alone unless your guild put on an event. I had the privileged of attending such a party. :) and, C) The legacy quest is almost impossible with the speederbike they give you. I had to resort to my AT-RT to beat it.

Now, the racing in both KoTOR games was fun, but I could never beat it. I had to resort to using the EZ Swoop racing mods. I never knew there was a sidequest on Tatooine that required you to get first prize until I used that mod.

And, pazaak was implemented because BioWare lacked the funds at the time to pay for the rights to sabaac which is the poker game in the Expanded Universe. Now, I wish they would add both to give you a choice like Pirates of the Caribbean Online gives you a choice between Blackjack, from which pazaak is based, or Tortuga (Texas) Hold 'Em poker (Sabaac)
Page: 1 of 1