Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Obama Show!

Page: 1 of 1
 Yar-El
10-23-2008, 4:50 PM
Article - The Obama Show (http://www.newsweek.com/id/165327)

The Obama campaign is spending millions of dollars on 30 minutes of prime time next week in what amounts to a big gamble for a presidential candidate with a decent lead in the polls so close to Election Day. The Obama show, airing on the major broadcast networks (NBC, CBS and Fox are confirmed; ABC is still in talks) and three cable news networks, will be the last big set piece of the extraordinary 2008 presidential campaign. One senior source close to the campaign puts the price tag in the $6 million range—which would make it the most expensive single political ad ever. ?! What ?! Has anyone ever heard of this?
 El Sitherino
10-23-2008, 4:58 PM
I bet it'll get awesome ratings.
 mimartin
10-23-2008, 5:33 PM
Preview (http://api.ning.com/files/InCZD9LEcFgiGTuwzxdojP7vgR0LohUe7*GiJ1u479fV8VtofC) pmzIcY8l56xqSzXut*aF9x826SFW0dVTgzFBPwvluuSGoT/dancingwiththestarsobamapalin.jpg) with special guest star.
 El Sitherino
10-23-2008, 5:46 PM
Party politics aside, Sarah Palin wishes her legs looked that good.
 Samuel Dravis
10-23-2008, 8:36 PM
Yes, I heard of it. There was an article a week or so ago that was speculating on what Obama was going to do with all the 30 minute timeslots he was buying.
 jrrtoken
10-23-2008, 8:55 PM
Wow, this is truly... bizarre.

Hopefully, it will turn out to be like The Merv Griffin Show.
 EnderWiggin
10-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Yes, I heard of it. There was an article a week or so ago that was speculating on what Obama was going to do with all the 30 minute timeslots he was buying.

I'm kind of excited to find out what he's going to say :)

_EW_
 Jae Onasi
10-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Yep, and they're delaying the World Series for it, too. That's some serious political pull. :D
 EnderWiggin
10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Yep, and they're delaying the World Series for it, too. That's some serious political pull. :D

That's if the World Series is still going for game 6, of course. Hopefully not.

The rays better hurry up and knock out the phillies. (No, I'm not one to root for the home team.)

_EW_
 Litofsky
10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
This is interesting, as well as some pretty good money spending. Talk about money-management. :p I'm curious as to the nature of these messages- what could be so news-worthy as to obtain nearly $6 million worth of television time?
 Jae Onasi
10-23-2008, 10:25 PM
what could be so news-worthy as to obtain nearly $6 million worth of television time?Winning the election.
 EnderWiggin
10-29-2008, 7:59 PM
Obama Show starts in one minute, for all those who forgot :)

_EW_
 Litofsky
10-29-2008, 9:30 PM
Winning the election.

Quite so, Jae!

Anyways, I thought that it was interesting. Obama is, in my opinion, an excellent speaker (or have my standards been lowered by Bush?), and I thought that he got his point across fairly well.

I didn't hear him take any major snips at McCain (I believe he made the standard "McSame" connection, however), so kudos to him for being above that.

What are your thoughts?
 Achilles
10-29-2008, 9:50 PM
Preview (http://api.ning.com/files/InCZD9LEcFgiGTuwzxdojP7vgR0LohUe7*GiJ1u479fV8VtofC) pmzIcY8l56xqSzXut*aF9x826SFW0dVTgzFBPwvluuSGoT/dancingwiththestarsobamapalin.jpg) with special guest star.That's a nice pic you got there. ;)
 mimartin
10-29-2008, 9:57 PM
That's a nice pic you got there. ;)
Ya, I don't remember where I found it. :xp:

I was disappointed in the show. I was expecting dancing.
 Jae Onasi
10-29-2008, 10:21 PM
I was disappointed in the show. I was expecting dancing.

We had school conferences for both my kids tonight, so I missed it. :( I liked the snippets I did see, but I'm a bit biased in that regard.

@Litofsky--Obama is a terrific speaker. Bush is better when he's interacting with people than when he's giving a speech--he's really stilted when doing formal speeches. I think if Obama had done a lot of attacking on McCain it would have reflected poorly on him--he needed to play it safe and get his message across, and the parts I've been able to see lately seem to me to have done that.
 Rev7
10-29-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm sorry, but I personally think that it was a huge waste of money. I am really surprised that Obama said that he would made the military stronger, better.

Well, that is not what he said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxL8NcNACBY&feature=related) months ago. I have put that video out there before, and I really think that we need to keep our military strong, but how can you do that while cutting some of the funds? :giveup:
 ET Warrior
10-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm sorry, but I personally think that it has made me even more excited for an Obama America than I thought I could be.
 Ravnas
10-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Same here. I think it was primarily made to sway over the last few independents and soft McCain Voters and looking from that perspective they did their job admirably.
 Achilles
10-30-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm sorry, but I personally think that it was a huge waste of money. I am really surprised that Obama said that he would made the military stronger, better.Why? That's been his message for as long as I've been following his campaign. :confused:

Well, that is not what he said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxL8NcNACBY&feature=related) months ago. I have put that video out there before, and I really think that we need to keep our military strong, but how can you do that while cutting some of the funds? :giveup:This video doesn't say what you seem to think it does. "Cutting wasteful spending" is not the same thing as "gutting the military". There's nothing here that's even marginally inconsistent.

@Topic: I thought the show was good. I thought some of the theatricality was a little heavy-handed (gee, is that office oval or is it just me, etc), but all-in-all I thought it helped to showcase Barack Obama to those that either haven't followed the election or haven't followed the election closely.

If nothing else, it gave him an edge in the last few news cycles and may help to give him an edge in the next few. Therefore even if the show itself was a failure, it did help him to run some time off the shot clock while he still has a substantial lead.
 EnderWiggin
10-30-2008, 5:25 AM
I'm sorry, but I personally think that it was a huge waste of money.

I thought it was a great idea that really put Obama in a last minute spotlight. It seemed to be tactfully done and very informative.

I am really surprised that Obama said that he would made the military stronger, better.

Why?

Well, that is not what he said (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxL8NcNACBY&feature=related) months ago. I have put that video out there before, and I really think that we need to keep our military strong, but how can you do that while cutting some of the funds? :giveup:

Nowhere in that video does he say he's going to decrease the size of the military. He's going to cut "wasteful spending," but that doesn't mean it's going to hurt the armed forces. In fact, that video is just bad because the op of the video seems to think that it paints Obama in a bad light - but it doesn't do that, either.

_EW_
 mimartin
10-30-2008, 12:36 PM
We had school conferences for both my kids tonight, so I missed it. :( Do you believe in second chances (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0JhEtzch4Y)?)

Warning this is not a remake of the Sonny and Cher Show.
 ET Warrior
10-30-2008, 1:21 PM
 Jae Onasi
10-30-2008, 1:46 PM
Do you believe in second chances (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0JhEtzch4Y)?)

Warning this is not a remake of the Sonny and Cher Show.

I figured it'd be out there sooner or later--thanks mimartin and ET Warrior!!
 Litofsky
10-30-2008, 5:30 PM
@Litofsky--Obama is a terrific speaker. Bush is better when he's interacting with people than when he's giving a speech--he's really stilted when doing formal speeches. I think if Obama had done a lot of attacking on McCain it would have reflected poorly on him--he needed to play it safe and get his message across, and the parts I've been able to see lately seem to me to have done that.

I agree- attacking McCain would have been a poor choice. By associating himself with helping others, I believe that Obama got the right message across. And, as stated, he is a great speaker- to me, he seems lively and energetic when he speaks, as opposed to a certain lethargy that McCain appears to have (perhaps it comes from age?).
 Yar-El
10-30-2008, 8:05 PM
Our economy's stregnth is uncertain; thus, I don't think he could pull off all those promises. I felt as though this has made him more of an entertainer or salesman. It was very thought out; however, it also felt very overkill. I still don't see what has captivated so many people. I don't see the savior everyone is talking about. I'm not sure if I will be voting for McCain this election; however, I'm sure that I will not be voting for Obama. He reminds me of someone who believes he is king of the world.
 EnderWiggin
10-30-2008, 8:08 PM
I'm not sure if I will be voting for McCain this election; however, I'm sure that I will not be voting for Obama.

i.e. Bob Barr 2008?

He reminds me of someone who believes he is king of the world.
Read: I don't like confident presidents.

_EW_
 Yar-El
10-30-2008, 8:23 PM
Obama infomercial ratings (http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/2008/10/obama_infomerci.html)

This just in from a Nielsen Co. press release about Barack Obama's infomercial:

* Overall, for the six networks that aired the program simultaneously, the spot had a household rating of 21.7%

* The last presidential candidate to air a paid simulcast was Ross Perot in 1996, which received a national household rating of 16.8%.

Ouchy! Ross Perot and Obama allmost had the same number of viewers. Perot won 2% of the vote from every state. It looked as though Perot was making his case, and then looked what happened to him. Ouchy!

I wonder if Obama is going to be another Michael Ducacus? Media during Ducacus's time were celebrating and the polls looked great; however, the nation didn't reflect what was in the news and other media. Too much confidence by the media? Are the polls that far off?
 Litofsky
10-30-2008, 8:28 PM
Ouchy! Ross Perot and Obama allmost had the same number of viewers. Perot won 2% of the vote from every state. It looked as though Perot was making his case, and then looked what happened to him. Ouchy!
Please, tell me how this association makes any sense. Are you saying that a television commercial makes Barack Obama equal to Perot?

I wonder if Obama is going to be another Michael Ducacus? Media during Ducacus's time were celebrating and the polls looked great; however, the nation didn't reflect what was in the news and other media.

It's possible- polls are semi-misleading. But, judging by donations and other Obama-events, I'd say that he has a good chance at attaining the Presidency.
 Yar-El
10-30-2008, 8:36 PM
Please, tell me how this association makes any sense. Are you saying that a television commercial makes Barack Obama equal to Perot?It means that Obama may not have made his case.

It's possible- polls are semi-misleading. But, judging by donations and other Obama-events, I'd say that he has a good chance at attaining the Presidency. His list of Donations have been in question. Several of his donations came from only a few sources and other countries. Country-Wide gave multiple small donations that racked up to be big money. I wonder if the books are cooked; thus, Obama is trying to hide some truths. Big donations from only a few companies; however, they are given in smaller amounts and anonymously. ABC News had mentioned such cases in Obama's record keeping.

You can get many donations, but they could be only from a few sources. You don't need multiple sources for multiple donations.

Something is not right in Obama land. Why have an informercial if you know your winning? You don't.

Going to a rally doesn't mean your going to vote for the man. Some people in those crowds went to them incase history was in the making.
 mimartin
10-30-2008, 8:48 PM
Been watching Fox News or listen to one of the Republican talking radio heads? I've given multiple small donations to the Obama Campaign they were all done online. They collected my name, address, email address, phone number and occupation. They were also done with a Credit Card. Making everything easy for verification by the election committee. You know the people that track this stuff. Another baseless allegation by the right, funny I did not hear them gripping when they had all the money. Actually, I believe I will go make another right now.
 Yar-El
10-30-2008, 8:52 PM
Been watching Fox News or listen to one of the Republican talking radio heads? I've given multiple small donations to the Obama Campaign they were all done online. They collected my name, address, email address, phone number and occupation. They were also done with a Credit Card. Making everything easy for verification by the election committee. You know the people that track this stuff. Another baseless allegation by the right, funny I did not here them gripping when they had all the money. Actually, I believe I will go make another right now. I mentioned ABC news. You can still cook the books. Email addresses can come from any country in the world. Giving cold cash can be untraceable. Did Obama except any of it? ACORN commited voter registration fraud. Obama can cook the books in recording donations.

ABC News -
Fraud Concerns With Overseas Campaign Donations (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=5559065&page=1)

I couldn't find the actual article in relation to the news report.
 mimartin
10-30-2008, 9:01 PM
I mentioned ABC news. You can still cook the books. Email addresses can come from any country in the world. Giving cold cash can be untraceable. Did Obama except any of it? ACORN commited voter registration fraud. Obama can cook the books in recording donations.

I preach sources -
Fraud Concerns With Overseas Campaign Donations (http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=5559065&page=1)

I couldn't find the actual article in relation to the news report.

Two words: Credit Cards.
 Yar-El
10-30-2008, 9:05 PM
Washington Post: Obama Accepting Untraceable Donations (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/28/AR2008102803413.html)

Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign is allowing donors to use largely untraceable prepaid credit cards that could potentially be used to evade limits on how much an individual is legally allowed to give or to mask a contributor's identity, campaign officials confirmed.

Faced with a huge influx of donations over the Internet, the campaign has also chosen not to use basic security measures to prevent potentially illegal or anonymous contributions from flowing into its accounts, aides acknowledged. Instead, the campaign is scrutinizing its books for improper donations after the money has been deposited

You may have to right-click and open the page in another tab.
 Litofsky
10-30-2008, 9:13 PM
His list of Donations have been in question. Several of his donations came from only a few sources and other countries. Country-Wide gave multiple small donations that racked up to be big money. I wonder if the books are cooked; thus, Obama is trying to hide some truths. Big donations from only a few companies; however, they are given in smaller amounts and anonymously. ABC News had mentioned such cases in Obama's record keeping.

I'll acknowledge that donations aren't 100% accurate, but when we combine this semi-accurate data with that of polls, rally attendance, and more, we achieve a fairly accurate picture of the populace's mindset.

Something is not right in Obama land. Why have an informercial if you know your winning? You don't.

Says who, if I may ask? For all you know, this commercial might have been Obama's way to reach out to the undecided voters. Or, perhaps, he just wants to get in touch with the voters without McCain smearing his name? I believe that your analysis is one-sided and unfair. If you're going to make accusations, at least acknowledge that it might be incorrect.

As for attending a rally and not voting, that's a point, but I find it highly improbable: why would you waste your time listening to someone speak unless you intended to vote for (him)?
 Yar-El
10-30-2008, 9:16 PM
Says who, if I may ask? For all you know, this commercial might have been Obama's way to reach out to the undecided voters. Or, perhaps, he just wants to get in touch with the voters without McCain smearing his name? I believe that your analysis is one-sided and unfair. If you're going to make accusations, at least acknowledge that it might be incorrect. Sometimes you have to look below the surface. Who said Obama was telling the truth? Only Obama can answer that question. We will have to wait and see.
 ET Warrior
10-30-2008, 9:17 PM
Why have an informercial if you know your winning?Because if you don't play all three periods you risk losing in the last minutes? Because the McCain campaign has spent so much of their advertising money spreading lies and half-truths that it is worth taking the time to state the truth? Because Obama believes that people mean it every election when they say "I wish the candidates would take some time to really tell me what they're actually going to do, not what is wrong with the other guy"?

I could probably come up with a few more if you need some.
 Litofsky
10-30-2008, 9:19 PM
Sometimes you have to look below the surface. Who said Obama was telling the truth? Only Obama can answer that question. We will have to wait and see.

Indeed we shall. However, as you ask me to look below the surface, I ask you to look at what's given: we see Obama holding a thirty-minute commercial. Personally, I believe he did it to solidify his stance with the key undecided voters, and to further detail his plans, without the distortion of McCain's commercials.

Was Obama telling the truth? Is anyone ever telling the full truth? I doubt it. I have my doubts that he will accomplish what he set out to do, but I have less doubt in him than in McCain, hence my support of Obama.
 Yar-El
10-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Indeed we shall. However, as you ask me to look below the surface, I ask you to look at what's given: we see Obama holding a thirty-minute commercial. Personally, I believe he did it to solidify his stance with the key undecided voters, and to further detail his plans, without the distortion of McCain's commercials.

Was Obama telling the truth? Is anyone ever telling the full truth? I doubt it. I have my doubts that he will accomplish what he set out to do, but I have less doubt in him than in McCain, hence my support of Obama.

Because if you don't play all three periods you risk losing in the last minutes? Because the McCain campaign has spent so much of their advertising money spreading lies and half-truths that it is worth taking the time to state the truth? Because Obama believes that people mean it every election when they say "I wish the candidates would take some time to really tell me what they're actually going to do, not what is wrong with the other guy"?

I could probably come up with a few more if you need some.

Ross Perot had at the time way more money than Bush and Clinton; however, it didn't stop him from loosing the presidential election. He outspent both candidates.

"Perot turned around and did something that no one has ever done. He used television to carry his message to the Americans. Instead of public speeches, he purchased an hour of television time on NBC to sit down and "talk" with America. People watched his "info-mercial" and loved it. It marked the first time that a candidate had ever used the media to get their point across without the media being able to change it. The ratings were so high that he decided to do another one. In all, there were five "info-mercials."

I ended up loosing the above quoted article. My apology.
 Web Rider
10-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Ross Perot had at the time way more money than Bush and Clinton; however, it didn't stop him from loosing the presidential election. He outspent both candidates.

yeah but he also had the personality of a dead fish and an appearance that reminded people of road kill. While Obama excells in personality and appearance.
 Rogue Nine
10-31-2008, 3:12 PM
I made a few of my friends who were undecided watch the Obamamercial. They're not undecided anymore. :D
 EnderWiggin
10-31-2008, 7:05 PM

I'll let you in on a little secret:

Obama is going to win, whether you like it or not :)

_EW_
 Astor
10-31-2008, 7:07 PM

_EW_

I would laugh so hard if McCain did a Truman now.

Not that he's got a hope in hell... :)

I've seen a lot of conservatives moaning about this ad... I think maybe they're jealous they didn't think of it?
 Yar-El
11-01-2008, 1:17 PM

_EW_ :xp: That remains to be seen. :D
 Corinthian
11-01-2008, 2:18 PM
Don't smoke 'em yet, Ender.
 EnderWiggin
11-01-2008, 3:56 PM
Don't smoke 'em yet, Ender.

I've always been one to count my chickens before they hatch :D

_EW_
 Web Rider
11-01-2008, 4:12 PM
I've always been one to count my chickens before they hatch :D

_EW_

I generally prefer to eat my chickens before the hatch, but that's just me.

Also: since I've pretty much only been watching the news for the past week, McCain seems to be dropping even in strong republican states, I don't really think he's got much hope for winning, certainly it's not impossible, but it's quite improbable.
 Giant Graffiti
11-01-2008, 6:59 PM
I generally prefer to eat my chickens before the hatch, but that's just me.

Are you suggesting that someone should eat Obama? :xp:
Page: 1 of 1