Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Art style...

Page: 1 of 1
 RyuuKage
10-22-2008, 3:51 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else see WAAAAAAAAAAY too much GAR and Imperial influence on both the Sith Empire and the Republic?

Don't get me wrong, it's badass stuff...it just seems utterly out of place. Looks more fitting for Legacy era or something, especially since the equipment around the time of Darth Bane (some few thousand years after this) is more or less the same as during the KOTOR series...
 El Sitherino
10-22-2008, 3:53 PM
Unfortunately everyone is subject to the rule of marketing in a business of video games.
 CrisG
10-22-2008, 4:27 PM
Wait and see, what we are seeing at this point is concept art and that can, may and will probably change in many ways. :)
 Nedak
10-22-2008, 4:29 PM
Many people are concerned about this. I'm sure they'll change it.
 RyuuKage
10-22-2008, 4:36 PM
even if final stuff goes along those lines i can pretty much live with it...i'm more concerned with the cartooney stuff now...and those Pringles can-sized lightsabers @.@
 Scars Unseen
10-22-2008, 4:46 PM
The jedi and sith both have upgraded the power sources for their lightsabers in the last 300 years. No longer will you have to stand there and whack on a guy with it for 5 minutes before they die. Some time between now and the time of Sidious they will figure out how to miniaturize that power source, but for now they will just have to work with the existing technology.
 Sabretooth
10-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Aye, but it is ultimately an MMO game and hence it needs to reach the widest possible audience by having the most recognizable content. And hence we have Republic Special Forces wearing what looks like Clone armour, starfighters that look like Jedi Starfighters etc.
 Web Rider
10-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Yes, I've actually generally felt the entire Old Republic has been far too "advanced" for it's time. Sure, ships are smaller and not as powerful, but they just seemed out of place. I mean, this is 3500-4000 years before "modern" times. The improvements to technology, especially those created during war, should have turned "advanced" droids like the HK series into driods that almost perfectly replicate a human.
 stoffe
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Yes, I've actually generally felt the entire Old Republic has been far too "advanced" for it's time. Sure, ships are smaller and not as powerful, but they just seemed out of place. I mean, this is 3500-4000 years before "modern" times. The improvements to technology, especially those created during war, should have turned "advanced" droids like the HK series into driods that almost perfectly replicate a human.

That would assume that technological development always is a linear increase, which it not necessarily always the case. Plenty of cases from the history of human civilization on Earth where technological innovations have been made, only to be forgotten again and reinvented a few centuries later. There are dark ages of technological and scientific decline, followed by new upswings, civilizations rising and falling, knowledge lost due to war and natural disasters etc.

(Besides, Star Wars is (mostly) fantasy. And in fantasy worlds always seem to be in decline with the "Ancients", "Old Ones" etc always being portrayed as way more powerful than anything contemporary. :p)
 Maphisto86
10-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah I noticed that the "Republic Special Forces" look too much like the Clonetroopers/Stormtroopers. They also did away with the old "flaming sun" Sith emblem and replaced it with a near copy of the "corrupted Bendu" symbol of the Galactic Empire. While this game has barely got off the ground in development, the whiny Star Wars geek in me has to dock points for these silly little details.

Still the concept art for the locations we will be visiting like Tython look amazing!
 Teiraa
10-23-2008, 8:16 PM
Wait and see, what we are seeing at this point is concept art and that can, may and will probably change in many ways. :)
Actually, I do like most of the concept art, but am dissatisfied with the actual screenshots: Too cartoony, big whack-stick lightsabers.... ugh...
Really hope that they will improve this. If they want to appeal to Kotor and Mass Effect fans, they have to use a similar art style as well.
 adamqd
10-23-2008, 8:23 PM
I know that listening to to fans isn't well known, but the amount of negative feedback to the Style (Not Quality, we all know it's pre-beta) has been massive, I've probably seen 90% Negative feedback to the screenshots, especially weapon size and general non KotOR sleekness, it would bode well for them to take this on board
Page: 1 of 1