Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Poison Pill: How McCain's campaign is damaging his party

Page: 1 of 1
 Achilles
10-18-2008, 2:15 AM
I've heard some analysts say that McCain's "maverick" theme risks damaging his party by transmitting that while he's a technically a Republican, he's also somehow better or above Republicans. By putting himself above the party, other Republicans down-ticket might suffer from the perceived "dual-attack" on the party's brand.

I've also heard some analysts say that McCain risks damaging his party if he changes the campaign message to something ala "you need me in the white house, because everyone knows that the Dems are going to keep/expand their hold in Congress and you don't want one party running 2 of the 3 branches". Other Republican's running down-ticket might suffer because this broadcasts the message that their demise is a foregone conclusion, even within their own ranks.

What I don't think anyone was expecting was this:

Earlier, a McCain supporter went on Hardball (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJIQm_7YAUI) spreading the McCain smears about Obama and the Democratic party. The response? Grassroots activist have donated nearly $80,000 in a matter of hours (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/blogs/astral66/2008/10/an-amazing-thing-netroots-acti.php) to a fund to see Senator Michele Bachmann ousted from her position. I think the Republicans are about to get a huge wake up call that people are just about fed up with this brand of politics.

The Constitution makes no mention of political parties and the Framers were very much against them. Many parties have come and gone in our history. It would be interesting indeed to see Republicans sign the death warrant of their own party.
 KinchyB
10-18-2008, 2:22 AM
All in all, I'm tired of all ads that personally attack candidates. Stick to the issues and draw differences on the issues, imo.

This attacking style started by the GOP in this election is getting out of hand, and unfortunately Obama has to go negative as well because the vast majority of americans fall for the smear attacks. And yes, the GOP did start it... the press gave Obama enough flack for not going Negative in the campaign after the GOP had put up ads attacking him. Heck, they started before Hillary was even out of the running!

Anyway... new party in '12... The Penguin Parliament Phunkadelic Party, or just PPPP for short. Kinchy... 2012!! :D
 Achilles
10-18-2008, 2:27 AM
At the risk of derailing the thread before it even gets its legs underneath it, I will argue here as I have argued elsewhere (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2539524) that there is a huge difference between McCain's negative ads and Obama's "negative" ads. "Attacking" someone's position on the issues is not the same as attacking someone's character.

As such, I have a very hard time accepting the argument that Obama has "gone negative" at any point in this campaign (not saying that it hasn't happened, I've just yet to see any evidence for the claim).

Edit @ 11:04: Update (http://www.actblue.com/entity/fundraisers/18660)

The total is up to $122k now. Not bad for about 14 hours. Quite the money bomb.
 mimartin
10-19-2008, 7:12 PM
On one side, I see the worse in American, someone outright lying about others in the name of politics.

On he other side, I see America saying with their pocket book that they are not going take these lies any more.
 Tyrion
10-19-2008, 8:01 PM
If the Republican party does demise, I wonder what's going to rise in its wake. There's still going to be many voters with right wing views.
 Achilles
10-19-2008, 8:06 PM
No doubt there will be something else. But it will be something else that will have to start from nearly scratch.
 Tyrion
10-19-2008, 8:12 PM
I could easily see the Constitution Party rise up in response. Seems like they have Republican values with the exception that they're actually fiscally conservative.
 mimartin
10-19-2008, 9:15 PM
I could easily see the Constitution Party rise up in response. Seems like they have Republican values with the exception that they're actually fiscally conservative.That is something that I could actually back. As long as the party backed the Constitution 100% of the time and not just when it is convenient or makes for good sound bite.
Page: 1 of 1