Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Child called racist for wearing McCain t-shirt

Page: 1 of 1
 GarfieldJL
10-17-2008, 1:36 PM
I just found an article that really ticked me off but sums up how intolerant some people can be of people with different political opinions.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/pages/News/Politics/Detail;jsessionid=5466B61F7D9F97AEFB02ADDF44472B42) ?contentId=7664724&version=6&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.14.1&sflg=1

And here's a video:

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/myfox/MyFox/pages/sidebar_video.jsp?contentId=7664458&version=1&locale=EN-US)

Basically we have a 12 year-old girl being called a racist for wearing a McCain/Palin T-shirt.
 Lance Monance
10-17-2008, 6:11 PM
So 12 year old children called her a racist at school. What's the big deal? I've heard of far worse things 12 year olds say at school (and experienced it too..)
 Corinthian
10-17-2008, 6:45 PM
Your point being...?
 Balderdash
10-17-2008, 6:45 PM
Meh. Not many 12 year olds are emotionally or intellectually mature enough to have informed opinions on politics in the first place - or to resist teasing one another... about anything.

Also, looool @ the blurred image of the black school kids. Wth was that?
 KinchyB
10-17-2008, 6:48 PM
Basically we have a 12 year-old girl being called a racist for wearing a McCain/Palin T-shirt.

That's unfortunate :(

BTW... what's up with the title of the thread? Given the topic in the thread the title is a bit misleading...
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-17-2008, 7:33 PM
All she wanted to do was support her candidate http://lucasforums.com/picture.php?albumid=16&pictureid=1820)
 Tommycat
10-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Well 12 year old kids have a tendancy to repeat things that their parents say. Perhaps those kids parents are saying that supporting McCain is supporting racism. Their kids pick up on it and tease kids who have differing ideals.

Of course I was called racist when I was in school, because I didn't have black friends(hey I was a metalhead, and rap was more popular among black students). When I told my mom(step mom) she ran down to the school and really let those kids know what they could do with their charge of racism... oh my stepmom is black... This is why I dislike cries of racism. Too many people level that charge against people when it is unfounded. People here do that as well.

I've learned to be very critical of every charge of racism. Having been called racist myself when I was obviously not I can smell when it is someone else's prejudice making them make that claim. See in my case, it was because some of my friends happened to be skinheads. Before you say it, they were SHARP(SkinHeads Against Racial Prejudice) and SCAR(Skins Comitted Against Racism). But their own prejudice against those that looked like racists(namely the NeoNazi Skins) made them believe that they were racist.
 GarfieldJL
10-17-2008, 11:56 PM
Oh I can bring up more charges that show the race card is only being played for Political Reasons, and they all trace back to Obama supporters.

Take John Murtha for instance: http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/16/murtha.racism.apology/index.html)

Granted he was forced to apologize because Fox News originally went after the man after that accusation.

Then we have other Democrats calling people racist because they aren't going to vote for Obama.

Now we have school children being called racist, anyone else see a pattern?
 Achilles
10-18-2008, 12:00 AM
anyone else see a pattern?Oh yes, we definitely see a pattern.
 KinchyB
10-18-2008, 12:14 AM
anyone else see a pattern?

Yup, I see the same GOP spin machine that is causing McCain to have one of the dirtiest campaigns in presidential history. :xp:
 Tommycat
10-18-2008, 12:18 AM
Only because the DNC wants to protray the GOP as a bunch of racists.
 KinchyB
10-18-2008, 12:25 AM

Ummm... not seeing this, unles you are insinuating the GOP is racist...? Or is that what Garfield was implying... i'm confused :xp:

I think one of the Dems really messed up, and I'm glad he got called out for it. The comments... he shouldn't have made them and I bet in the end it costs him his job... kinda hope actually, not a fan of people saying that type of stuff... that's half the issue. I also think kids can and will always be mean to each other.

BTW... what direct ties does Murtha have to Obama's campaign aside from supporting him like every other democrat?
 GarfieldJL
10-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Yup, I see the same GOP spin machine that is causing McCain to have one of the dirtiest campaigns in presidential history. :xp:

In all honesty McCain is having to waste his time doing a background check of Obama because the mainstream media isn't going to investigate their anointed one isn't playing a dirty campaign, it the media being either incompetitent or just plain dishonest.

Quite frankly from my own research which includes the voting records within the Illinois State Assembly, speeches the whole nine yards. Plus Obama's redistribution of wealth comments would make this Republican actually support Hillary Clinton over him, and you know what I used to believe there was absolutely no way I'd be willing to vote for her.

Agreed, that's why I've brought this up.

I think one of the Dems really messed up, and I'm glad he got called out for it. The comments... he shouldn't have made them and I bet in the end it costs him his job... kinda hope actually, not a fan of people saying that type of stuff... that's half the issue. I also think kids can and will always be mean to each other.

Who said I was just talking about Murtha, I've got a whole list I can bring up and even Former President Clinton accused Obama of playing the race card. Murtha is just the first and easiest example to find.
 KinchyB
10-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Who said I was just talking about Murtha, I've got a whole list I can bring up and even Former President Clinton accused Obama of playing the race card. Murtha is just the first and easiest example to find.

Probaly because that's the one you linked to.... BTW... also include some sources as to how these guys relate to Obama too since you are making it about his campaign.
 Det. Bart Lasiter
10-21-2008, 5:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0)
http://www.wtov9.com/news/17765010/detail.html)

"BARACK OBAMA IS A SECOND STRING NEGRO AND SARAH PALIN IS FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT MUSLIM 9/11 BLACKS TAKIN OVER SO DRILL BABY DRILL"
 mimartin
10-21-2008, 8:53 AM
Is the charge of racism being used for political reasons?
No! (http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_buck16.3d67d4a.html) While I will not charge McCain with racism because of what his supporters or GOP workers do, I'm not naive enough to think race and racism is not an issue in this election. Neither will I charge Obama with using race for the wrong a bunch of 12 year-olds did.
 Jae Onasi
10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
No! (http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_buck16.3d67d4a.html) While I will not charge McCain with racism because of what his supporters or GOP workers do, I'm not naive enough to think race and racism is not an issue in this election. Neither will I charge Obama with using race for the wrong a bunch of 12 year-olds did.

The problem in this case has nothing to with McCain or Obama. It has everything to do with the school's ability (or lack thereof) in recognizing and dealing appropriately with bullying. Middle schoolers seem to have a knack for finding anything they can when they want to give another kid a hard time. I think this is probably one of those cases. If the campaign hadn't been going on, they probably would have found something else to give her a hard time about.

BTW... what's up with the title of the thread? Given the topic in the thread the title is a bit misleading...I agree, so I changed the thread title to better reflect the topic.
 Web Rider
10-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Oh me oh my, some kid got insulted by another kid for something their knowledge and ability to do anything about collectively form a great big zero.

On the subject of school policies are bullying, they're pretty ineffective. And I mean, they're 12, you kinda HAVE to let kids call each other names, it's almost impossible to make it never happen. You still have to teach them that it's wrong, but then we run into the whole PC problem of who defines "wrong" and how far that goes.
 KinchyB
10-21-2008, 2:19 PM
I agree, so I changed the thread title to better reflect the topic.

Thanks Jae! :)
 GarfieldJL
10-25-2008, 6:54 PM
I agree, so I changed the thread title to better reflect the topic.

Jae could you plz change the topic title back to what I had it as, cause there were some other things I was going to throw in?

On Friday, October 17, news broke that Rep. John Murtha told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that Barack Obama might have tough sledding in his home area: "There is no question that western Pennsylvania is a racist area." Trying to add context to his remarks, Murtha later said many in Western Pennsylvania were [u]"rednecks" several years ago.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2008/10/24/networks-newspapers-barely-touched-john-murthas-racist-accusations-again)

The school kid thing was just the tip of the iceberg.
Page: 1 of 1